No Donovan: Lisbon v Munich 2/25/09

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by munichfan9, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lahm taken down in the box; spot kicked awarded to Bayern.

2. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ribery lining up the kick, keeper goes left, Ribery right, 3-0 Munich.

3. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Donovan were there, this is about the time you look at putting him in for Luca Toni or maybe get creative and pull Ribery. That guy just looks mean.

4. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    The icing on the misery cake would be Podolski coming on and scoring.

5. rars

rars New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't even joke about that! :)

6. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ow, that had to hurt!

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think the german crowd cares that much about him, frankly, positively or negatively. he didn't produce, so they have no reason to love him. He's only a loaner, why disklike him?
    And now the team is back hitting it's stride in the CL and he's not there. Do folks want to blame him for the bad streak? Why, he's not that big of a deal in Germany.
    But, simple rule, you don't change a winning formula, and this result probably means less of a role for him than he's had to date.

8. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ribbery to Toni header top left.

4-0 Bayern

9. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be honest, very few people in America care. And those who do have to watch the game on a stream anyways

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you know, what's the deal with that. I mean, ffs, i'm in baghdad with my choice of any game, or as we've got three tvs going tonight, any three. with digital signals, it's easy to put all the games on there.

11. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I'm just throwing updates out there for those who want them.

Luca Toni just put in the 5th while I was typing this.

Anyway, I'm going to bed in a sec, but still have a bit of beer left, and consider it payback for others who've given me updates. No idea if this is far off from the timing on the stream.

12. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MAYBE with such an advantage..and no away goals..... LD sees major minutes in the return leg...Trying to look for the silve lining here folks... Not the icing on the (landy) cake.....

13. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT FC Bayern 5-0

btw, not sure I agree that folks that regularly follow Bayern will see this as a sign that they're back on. Many are cynical / pessimistic, and if this doesn't translate to similar results in the BL I think they'll still be unhappy in the long run and consider this blow out an anomaly.

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    true... some dont care enough about this match that they chose not to post in this thread... you should do the same, or do you care ;)

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    long run, yeah, but LD doesn't have a long run left with them. The pressure in the league is on, though, so while this probably determines his weekend team, CL pressure is off. so agree with the above post, folks might be rested for league.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think Donovan returns back to LA Galaxy training camp the week of the return leg, so I think he is unavailable for that game.

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My feed went nuts - it was, like, 12 minutes behind the action I was reading, so I just stopped watching.

Tell me: did Podolski get subbed in?

18. goeast12

goeast12 Member

Nov 14, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel bad for Landon. He wasn't used correctly or at least didn't play to his strengths for some reason. The rest of the team seemed slow and lazy when he was in there and most of them had poor games. He had a couple of chances and didn't put the ball in the net and he had some good passes that led to nothing through no fault of his own. I guess I expected more from this loan as far as opportunity was concerned and i wonder if he was mislead. You really have to wonder who is agent is because Landon needs to be put in a situation where he can succeed. He has had very little opportunity to show his stuff in situations that fit his game. It's his agents job to be savvy enough not to put him in those situations and he's done e very poor job. In some ways it's very difficult to almost impossible to predict how and when he would be used so it's somewhat unfair to criticize his agent, but that's why they get the big bucks. When you consider what has already happened with LD in Germany his agent should have ask for some assurances about the opportunities he would get to prove himself. If BM thinks they are too good to work with him on that then they should have looked at a smaller club. This could really hurt his chances of getting a contract in Europe later, abd his agent should be aware of that. LD is accomplished enough that his agent should be able to get a good contract out of a club in one of the better leagues. What you really don't want to do is tarnish the product before the contract is signed. I think in some ways this loan has done that.

19. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the snubbing of LD for todays squad marks the end of his journey at Bayern. Its been disappointing amid all the expectations, including mine.
    I know that everybody has been talking about LD going to England, Spain, Italy. But I honestly think he would do well at a midtable team in the Bundesliga ( the term "mid-table" is a joke in bl because at any given season a "mid-table" team might not me mid-table).
    I think the style of play in Germany is perfect for LD (barring Bayern, of course). Most of the bl teams play attacking football but their style of play might vary and might not fit LD.
    IMO the perfect team for him would be Hamburg, followed by Hoffenheim and maybe Dortmund. Gladbach would also suit his style.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think with this result Bayern will rest all their regulars for the second-leg of the CL game. Bayern can't afford to rest players in the league, given their league position. And there's no need to rest players in the league since their next meaningful CL match is some 6 weeks from now.

Anyway, what's with all the negativity? This 0-5 result virtually guarantees that LD will start in the second-leg.

21. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    First, look at post at top of this page.

Second, Donovan needs to prove he's as good or better than alternatives to make the team. Getting 90 minutes in a meaningless match, even if he does well, does nothing for him to get a contract in Munich.

22. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't scheduled to return until March 15th, four days after the next CL match.

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the Galaxy are expecting him back on the 9th of March.

24. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

I think this was always LD shooting for the moon. He's not going to get a sniff from a top 5 team in England, Italy, or Spain. If this hit, perfect.

He could have easily not even attempted to make this team and gone to a lower caliber team where he'd have more assurance of minutes and starts.

I would like to see the people that have bashed him for 5 years about not 'going for it' and trying to play with and against the best talent possible to give him some kudos here.

So he didn't hit a home run. Respect for having the balls to try. Let's hope in the next 12 months he gets picked up by someone else that saw him look like he belonged in the top 18 at Bayern Munich.

25. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I was interested in the posts that said that the rest of the players wouldn't pass to LD, and didn't seem to alter there game to fit his style of play. Is the top level of European soccer like a middle-school kool kids klub? where if you haven't been seen at the proper friendlies, you just aren't someone who'll be noticed or get into the clique?

The other example of this where a team just doesn't appear to do even the minimum to accomodate a new player would be how Monaco kept trying to cross balls into the wing to a very small Freddy Adu rather than pass to him along the floor.

Maybe the comparison works because both are short term loan deals and no team to going to alter how they play one iota for someone on a short term loan...