No Champs League for 2009 winner?

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by GOALSeattle, Jul 7, 2009.

1. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the best of my knowledge, it has not been announced. It wasn't announced until the week before MLS Cup last year when they made all the competition announcements.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one hand, that seems counterproductive to me, at least if you hope to make the USOC meaningful.

On the other hand, "top four in the league" getting into Champions League would be consistent with Europe, for the most part.

And we all know how much people here long for us to be just like Europe.

4. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to show Adrian Hanauer that comment and here is his response today:

I had been getting conflicting information about the qualification for Champion's League from various sources.

Since then, I have had several conversations with US Soccer and Major League Soccer. Although not 100%, it appears that there is a relatively high likelihood that the Open Cup winner WILL advance to the qualification round of Champion's League... similar to this year.

Once we know for certain, we will communicate that information.

Sorry for any confusion that may have been caused.

---Adrian

5. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...with the difference being that Concacaf doesn't have a second tournament designated for cup winners, like Europe or Africa.

But, in terms of Concacaf and US teams, I do find it odd that only one spot is garunteed via the league table, and three are via cup games (if you consider the MLS playoffs as cup games), with the next-best teams in the league table only taken into account if there are duplicates in the cup winners. A better balance would be to have two teams from the league table, the MLS Cup winner, and the Open Cup winner.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is the case.

I would agree with you on that.

I think it would be unfortunate to not have the USOC winner go into the CCL, because, other than that, there's not a lot of reason to play in it.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think it's cool Hanauer addressed the question and even contacted the folks in Chicago to try and get an answer. While not definitive, it's nice he made the effort.

8. footballfreak

footballfreak Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Vancouver, BC, Canad
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Aren't these the kind of decisions that should be made before the start of the season? It seems like the only reason to wait to announce it would be as a failsafe in case a USL team won the final. "Oh, we decided the cup winner doesn't get a spot this year, sorry."

Even if it's not that cynical, it's still a bush league way of handling things that makes the USSF look like...well the good old Canadian Soccer Association. *spits*

9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to CONCACAF.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would bet that the only thing up in the air is that the 2010-11 CCL format hasn't been announced. So they can't really have official qualification criteria if they don't know exactly how many teams the USA will get.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see taking a spot away from some pissant third world country. But how does it serve the competition (or CONCACAF's avowed financial interests) to take a spot away from the USA? Unless you feel you have too many extraneous games and you're going to reduce the whole field and the US just loses proportionally.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're trying to make the competition have some kind of legitimacy (yeah, I know), then they could make the allocation based on results, and the chips will fall where they may.

And there's that.

13. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not taking away spots from anyone unless the country cannot support an additional bid.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not taking bids away yet.

The old tournament had eight teams. This has 24. If they find that that's unwieldy, they could reduce it to 16 or 18 or 20 and somebody'd have to lose spots - and the big boys would have more to give, proportionally.

We'll have to see how it plays out.

15. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old tournament had 8 teams in the final round, but Central qualifying had 16 teams for three spots, and Carribbean had 17 teams for one spot. That would put a total of 37 teams. (The new tournament basically folded the Central teams into the tournament proper.)

Kenn, I'm not sure where you are going with this "24 may be too unwieldy" line. Are you saying that a group stage in the round-16 is too much? In that case, I wouldn't mind if they went to 32 teams in the tournament proper (after the qualifying in the Carribbean), starting with two knockout rounds, then playing the group stage at the round-8. (Interestingly, both this format and the current format would be 78 games.)

But how that affects the LHUSOC winner in the CCL, is probably not part of the issue.

The CCL is now in the "growing pains" stage. Some countries still don't have the structure to support the matches, etc. Hopefully these blips would be ironed out in the next cycle.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Board meeting minutes from the USSF site include this nugget.

1 person likes this.
  17. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

boy i hope not lolol

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. rand al'thor

rand al'thor New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    In the 4th dimension
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

and here's why it was so fast. we're awesome!! go sounders!! we're gonna own that tourny as well!!!

ALL WE DO IS WIN TROPHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm sure the Mexican teams are shaking in their boots.

Haha, get ready for a rude awakening.

22. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Have you not followed the competition? Aside from Houston, the USA teams are not competitive - in fact, they are downright awful. How does it serve the competition to have a bunch of teams that can't compete with "pissant third world countries"? New York and New England can't even beat the "small" teams from Trinidad & Tobago (not only can they not beat them, but they get blown out by them), DC United gets annihilated by every team they come up against, etc.

WTF is the point in letting a league who's teams are not good enough to compete continue to play and continue to send more teams than anyone else, when instead you could add another team from Panama or Honduras or Costa Rica or wherever - teams that would actually be more competitive?

23. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to NOT getting in at all? I'll take that awakening any day of the week.

24. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not the one who's saying that Seattle is going to "own that tourney."

25. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not next year, anyway. ;)