Nikki Serlenga?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by firstshirt, Oct 17, 2002.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wonder why she dropped out of the womens national team picture? I remember seeing her play a few times in 2000 and thought that she was one heck of a player. Never seem to see her mentioned any more. What happened?

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well apparently Ms. Serlenga wanted to take a break from the USWNT and focus on her WUSA career with the Atlanta Beat.

If you are bored you may want to read this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1359

Read flix's second post in the thread. Unfortunately the link to the original Atlanta Journal Constitution article is no longer working. But flix did provide some quotes from the article. Oh hell I'll post 'em here...

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey thanks for the info...I hope she does get another shot at the Nats,,,,she is a very good player and should be considered for a spot during the up comming qualifying

4. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    With Wagner playing impressively and Hamm available to play midfield as well as forward, Serlenga may not see USWNT duty until Hamm and Foudy retire -- and that date seems some years away (remember, Hamm is only 30 and Foudy is only 31).

5. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

6. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Re: Re: Nikki Serlenga?

7. piper

piper New Member

Re: Re: Nikki Serlenga?

Fair and Hucles are better?

8. buff415

buff415 New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    what about lilly

Whether three or four start in the midfield, I think Kristine Lilly will be one of them.

9. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: Nikki Serlenga?

Fair and Foudy are better than any midfielders???

10. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Re: Re: Re: Nikki Serlenga?

in coach point of view.

11. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Nikki Serlenga?

there could be more skillfull players out there but, experience is the most important but Foudy is without a doubt the best midfielder in the world right now.

12. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nikki Serlenga?

I think Foudy is an excellent player. But she is not "without a doubt the best midfielder in the world." I put Riise above Foudy and I think based on recent performances I might even put in a vote for Lilly for best US midfielder (and possibly Hamm when she plays in midfield or even Wagner except she needs just a few more matches under her belt for me to be a true believer). And what about Steffi Jones or Sawa?

I'm not that interested in coming up with "the best" but I do think there are other midfielders as good as and maybe even better than Foudy. And, I believe I can say this without diminishing Foudy as a player in any way.

mingyung

13. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nikki Serlenga?