Nike Thread [23] all pictures, info and questions here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Mar 8, 2016.

1. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Footyheadlines describes them as teijin synthetic, the pictures they have even show the typical plastic reinforcement at the toe...I'm guessing it's just the leather grain finish that they've used in the past.
    [​IMG]

2. TouchofOzil

TouchofOzil New Member

Arsenal
    Germany
    Dec 14, 2017
    In hand they definitely feel different from the regular versions and also more pliable. It has an extra softness to it. If its not leather, its still an upgrade whatever it is IMO.

3. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding something slightly different to the player specific releases would be a nice touch. It might compel more than that player's fanboys to buy it.

appleCORR7 and Jaxinho repped this.
  4. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I'd suspect that whether or not its leather comes down to the tongue. if its a 1 piece upper, its probably not leather! think the leather pack vapors weren't 1 piece uppers.

newone88 and Jaxinho repped this.
  5. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    Looks like the same material is used for the regular Vapors and tongue is one piece. Here is the HG version from a Japanese shop and the site says synthetic leather :-(

upload_2017-12-20_20-52-33.png

6. TouchofOzil

TouchofOzil New Member

Arsenal
    Germany
    Dec 14, 2017
    JayMike's (Unisport) vid on the boot is up today. He seems to have the same thoughts as me at 6.05 regarding the leather like finish and extra softness. It may not be leather, but its definitely the most comfortable synthetic vapor I have ever worn

newone88 repped this.
  7. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    yeap, SR4u confirms that its a new upper of some sort. looks pretty interesting though.

8. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    saw for reviews as well and they see the upper is a bit different as well.

slightly off topic... but I can't stand these videos anymore....why is everyone trying to be a comedian these days? I know it is all about generating clicks and followers and making money but it is just silly. Maybe because i'm old I don't find these funny...sorry for the rant :)

kelani9, TouchofOzil and Jaxinho repped this.
  9. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe for their own amusement? Making ten minute videos about tech specs every day has to be mind numbing.

jayc23 and newone88 repped this.
  10. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    We should make a drinking game every time JayMike says ‘relatively’ and ‘elegant.’

jayc23 and newone88 repped this.
  11. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    I know it takes a lot of effort to do these videos but again 15 minutes video to talk about a new colorway is just a waste of time...but if they are getting all these clicks and views and making money that way how can you blame them.

12. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    There's also, 'Upper is so ever so flipping soft', 'buttery soft'.

to be fair elegant is only used for leather boots HAHA.

haha well, to be fair though the rest of his vids are pretty serious and informative, so i give it a pass!

newone88 repped this.
  13. TouchofOzil

TouchofOzil New Member

Arsenal
    Germany
    Dec 14, 2017
    I got so fed up of SR4U reviews, I started choosing to not have Youtube recommend his vids anymore so I don't even see the thumbnail on the side panel. When he clearly tiptoed around the abysmal effort of the X 17.1 because he gets free stuff from Adidas, I knew I couldn't trust his opinion anymore. Also, every time he says "the fit in the length is absolutely perfect", I'm like yeah, whatever dude.

kelani9 and newone88 repped this.
  14. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

ooh i assume you've done that with every Youtube football boot reviewer cause that's nearly everyone? You;re being slightly harsh here man.

I'm fairly sure he doesn't get stuff directly from adidas but the shops like Soccer.com etc, but I'm slightly surprised you're picking him out on being biased considering how much he's panned the laceless models from Adidas.

with regards to fit - I think we can all agree that sizing's always slightly weird, you just have to look a few posts up where 2 different people have different opinions on the sizing of the Tiempo Legends 7 for example, Unisports also made a great video about the different sizes of the various boots out there. Bottom line is that he can only give his best estimate for sizing which is what sizing works for him. I've followed his sizing all this time and its never let me down, in contrast i believe Jaxinho's commented that his Tiempo Legend 7 sizing is different compared to SR4U and it happens, no need to get touchy about it.

Jaxinho repped this.
  15. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    In my opinion he clearly doesn’t favor the X 17.1 because of obvious reasons and in fact he does favor the X 17+ by a mile. He just sometimes doesn’t express that as much (in contrast, for example, he explicitly said he straight-up hated the Kappa Rattler whereas boots such as the Nemeziz or the Ace are just ‘meh’ to him).
    He clearly favors Nike more than adidas and it does come out as sometimes he’s a ‘Nike fanboy’ but I completely understand his sentiments.

With regards to the fit, yeah, I don’t believe him 100% with that because human feet are just that varied. I just see it as a general guideline but still do trial and error (unfortunately) when ordering online.

SR4U is actually one of the best reviewers of boots on YouTube (if not the best). He doesn’t have flashy exhibition-style videos coupled with deafening techno music; he just gets into it.

*meh = good performing boots but kinda mediocre compared to the lot

jayc23 repped this.
  16. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    But lately he has started doing the silly stuff, I guess to generate more clicks and more money. He had a 15 minute video on why Hummels cut his boots and he actually cut a lower tier cleat if I'm not mistaken. I guess he is trying to compete with the Unisport guys and other online reviewers that do the silly stuff like cutting cleats etc.
    Also, it is hard to review a cleat and judge it by just wearing them around the house for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes it takes few sessions and games to truly get a feel for a boot.
    Last thing is that all either sponsored by a brand or a shop. So you need to generate either good reviews for the brand or clicks / buys for the shop. I'm not sure you can be truthful when you are sponsored. I noticed that when a cleat is not selling well on soccer.com, some of the guys sponsored by the shop, they all started recommending that cleat and to "CLICK" on the link below for a CRAZY deal. A reviewer who shredded the NB cleats, had another list of great buys that included NB :-(

Again, I know what they do is very hard and takes a lot of time and effort and they need to generate revenue as well so kudos to them.

Merry Xmas and happy Holidays

TouchofOzil and Jaxinho repped this.
  17. TouchofOzil

TouchofOzil New Member

Arsenal
    Germany
    Dec 14, 2017
    It was my opinion. I don't like his vids and so I decided to stop watching them. It's that simple. If you don't agree with me, that's 100% fine.

kelani9 repped this.
  18. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Interesting leak from Instagram user lovepowercat. Apparently this is the soleplate of the next-gen Mercurial.

C4C5D12C-F342-4F32-8061-0192E203C37C.jpeg

19. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    highly doubt they would change to that considering how well recieved the current FG ones are. if anything that looks like a lower end or an AG/HG soleplate

Jaxinho repped this.
  20. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    7AF352B9-5895-4BD3-9D13-6C6820969DB9.jpeg E720A988-3DD8-4512-8894-61DE32B513D8.jpeg

I got a weird thing happen to me. I ordered a Tiempo Legend VI (for cheap!) off of ebay in my usual size 8 (I know this because this is my second pair) but for some reason they fit and feel like they were probably a size 9 or 9.5. Weird. There was a good inch of empty space between my longest toe and the end of the toebox.
    Has this happened to anyone before? Maybe a factory defect or a size tag placement error?

Both the shoebox and the boots themselves say size 8 US.

21. rapture23

rapture23 Member

Mar 11, 2008
    the insole normally has a size on it too. mabye check that too see if it matches

22. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    So I went and converted this SG-Pro Tiempo Legend VI to a turf-friendly version. These are the local Sofsole brand mostly marketed towards American football but can also be used for football and lacrosse.
    Haven’t tried it on AG yet but I have on FG and I must say I was actually impressed. Not as aggressive as the regular FG Legend VI but this reminds me of a Morelia II but with just a little bit more of a bite. I will definitely try 3 more brands of replacement studs, but i’m mostly excited about the AMO Performance 10mm Studs.

69024697-49B9-4A94-840F-05D0BF06DDF2.jpeg

I haven’t measured it yet (and no measurement on the packaging) but it looks to be somewhere between 9-10mm.
    D7BD3A0B-29B0-4A9E-A663-3C16342B0528.jpeg

newone88 repped this.
  23. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good job!

My friend wants to do a conversion like that on a pair of his superfly. What does he need? I think he already has the studs from some old boots. What else does he need to do?

Any advice would be brilliant!

appleCORR

24. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big fan of the superfly 5 but underwhelmed by the colorways, so I broke down and did an ID creation. Bright crimson is much lighter in person than on their website. 20180119_091120.jpg

chivamex10 repped this.
  25. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    I did few conversions myself and turned out good.

upload_2018-1-19_9-39-42.png
    This video was a big help and very simple to follow.
    Dremel tool is key and steady hands :)

Also, this is how it is done for the pros... :)

appleCORR7 repped this.