Nike Thread [23] all pictures, info and questions here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Mar 8, 2016.

1. DoubleR23

DoubleR23 Member

Manchester United
    Jun 14, 2008
    DMV area

Ive tried AG and FG soleplates on AG ground. Ive noticed that the blade or chevron FG plates ache my legs but when I use conical stud FG soleplates on AG i feel perfectly fine.

AG soleplates help but i find to slip easier when there is too many pellets on the pitch.

2. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stud pressure with FG on AG is mild, but manageable. First pair of boots I got when I started back up were superfly 4 fg, despite only playing on ag. I never had issues with studs sticking for whatever reason.

The biggest reason I've gone full AG is durability. FG wears down way more quickly on AG, especially in the heat. All of the FG's I've bought have significant soleplate separation. The AG's I have all got worn for a full season or more and look barely broken in. The AG toe box gets this extra strip of reinforcement where it meets the soleplate. That extra measure would probably help on all boots tbh.

3. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    This is my verdict. I have owned close to 20 high-end Nikes and adidas boots and for 2/3 of the time I have used them on AG (not sure what to call it exactly, but it’s the NFL American football fields that are very common here in the States).

I have found VERY, VERY, VERY minimal differences between using a conical FG stud pattern (ex. Obra II, Phinish/Phantom 2, Legend VI, Phantom 3, AG-Pro Nikes, FG/AG adidas) and the purely chevron pattern of the Vapor XI and Superfly V. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that I found the Vapor XI ‘stickier’ on a bone-dry FG field than on an AG field.

My point is use your FG boots on AG at your own risk but I wouldn’t say it’s as scary as these YouTubers are making it seem. Unless you’re a woman...idk I read somewhere that women are more prone to these ‘horror stories’ of using FG boots on AG. Don’t take my word for the latter part.

4. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I apologize for the double post.
    Anyone here have any fond T90 Laser memories? Which one was your favorite? Looking to buy either a Laser III or IV on ebay...seeing as both the I and II are not only too expensive but the lockdown/lacing system looks to be poor. I might be wrong though!

5. howplayrisk

howplayrisk Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I'm even finding the new AG-PRO plate to be a little too sticky. I rate the AG plate from the Vapor X as the best I've tried because it offered the right level of traction and very good flexibility.

6. FattyPillow

FattyPillow New Member

Inter Milan
    Hong Kong
    Apr 10, 2017
    To those who wear size Mercurial Victory indoor in US 9.5-10, what sizes do you wear yours Vapors or Superfly's in FG and AG, and how are the fittings in them?

7. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Has anyone tried using Nike’s SG-Pro soleplate but switching out the metal studs for regular, plastic FG studs? For use on FG and AG. I’m guessing probably a bad idea but just in case anyone has experience...

8. girrdib

girrdib Member

Jun 26, 2010
    United States
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I did that with the first Superflys (the one Ronaldo had in Manchester) and it was bad man... Like really bad.... albeit it wasn't the sg-pro soleplate but I could still feel pressure from the studs and I was playing in natural grass. I had to use the metal ones which were ok, but you could still feel the stud pressure. Probably won't answer your question but just letting you know. lol

9. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Was this the regular 6-stud SG plate?
    I was thinking more along the modern SG-Pro then replacing the metal studs with plastic or rubber ones that are shorter. Maybe 10mm or shorter?
    Thanks for the info anyway!

10. digiosmosis

digiosmosis Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Oct 18, 2017
    Mumbai
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  11. FattyPillow

FattyPillow New Member

Inter Milan
    Hong Kong
    Apr 10, 2017
    Correct me if I am wrong, but is it that is why professional players used to ask their bootroom staff to add few metal studs onto the FG boots along with existing plastic ones for dual use on both firm and soft grounds? I would assume there is no need to switch to metal studs to plastic ones to use on FG unless maybe on HG or AG perhaps?

Sorry I am talking out of rear as I don't have any experience with SG-Pro.

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    they do that because they like the fit and flexibility of an fg sole plate but want the longer studs of an sg boot. a lot of times sg sole plates are stiffer than an fg plate because there are fewer studs to support the same amount of weight.

13. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    Tiempo Legend VII SG

upload_2017-11-8_9-33-3.png

14. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I loved the way the first ones looked - with the X-Ray foot on the sole? Beautiful. I didn't however love the touch of the boot I found it far too heavy for me. Actually I remember lacing the yellow ones up for the first time and smacking a volley so hard into my friends nuts it left him laying on the floor for a good 10 minutes because I'd just connected with the ball so sweetly it flew like a rocket at him and he didn't have chance to move out the way.

I tried pretty much every model of the Lasers but none of them really suited my game. They were always really nice looking boots though. And they did what they said on the tin. If you wanted to be able to ping a ball with extra pace these were the boots for you. I think if you wanted a bit more finesse you needed to look elsewhere and I quickly went back to my Vapors.

appleCORR

jayc23 repped this.
  15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I never really liked Lasers when they were out but looking back I appreciate how they were noticeably different-looking than other releases of the time. Maybe I'm just too old but every boot looks the same to me ever since the collar happened.

16. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    only ever had a pair of laser 3's which by then had changed pretty drastically, but tried on a friends pair of Laser 2's and loved them. Great for just striking and hitting the ball, and the Zoom cushioning unit actually meant something.

17. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Amusing story. I only get high-end boots because I see them as ‘investments’ in my game but today after a month of thinking I finally decided to get a Tiempo Legacy III seeing as they get nothing but praise on the internet. I was casually looking it up on PDS when all of a sudden I see the newest Play Fire colorway for only $100 instead of the usual $130. I panicked a little and thought to myself ‘well maybe this is a technical error on the website’s part,’ and I took advantage. And since today is Veterans’ Day in the States they are offering a 15% discount on everything.

Long story short got them for $85 when the lowest price for these I saw were $89.97 on Nike.com. Plus, PDS’s shipping is killer. I always get Priority Overnight since it’s only $2 more than the cheapest option.

466B6ED0-AC21-4E44-A9C5-A22CC5B95B7A.jpeg

FF742F4B-2D92-4799-AAAC-58A8608E909B.jpeg

vanjory repped this.
  18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nike replacing the Magista in 2018 according to Footy Headlines. Wonder if it will be a drastic change or something that just looks like another collar boot.

19. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Hopefully they bring more CTR360 Maestri elements back. Knowing the current boot trend though, probably just more Flyknit and textures on the upper. Although I wouldn’t be mad if they somehow combine the Maestri III with Flyknit.

20. MBagheri

MBagheri New Member

May 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Legacy III looks like a solid boot especially at that price range! The Legend VII is my personal favorite boot right now, so much so that I bought multiple pairs of the Academy Pack color way to be able to have them in the future once this pair wears out, and it looks like they both share a lot of similarities.
    I have worm them multiple times a week on grass and AG Pitches since they came out and have not had any issues with durability and the leather quality is fantastic.

Jaxinho repped this.
  21. MBagheri

MBagheri New Member

May 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know people have and will still do this (Especially younger kids) but it definitely is not recommended and should not be done unless the boots were specifically designed for that purpose.
    SG, SG-Pro, Anti-Clog, etc are all for the most part constructed of a firmer and thicker plastic with metal embedded for you to either screw or snap the SG stud into place. Wearing these studs or sole plates on FG, HG, or even AG is much harder on the studs and your body and you can even be putting yourself at the risk for serious injury.
    Definitely not worth it and not nearly as comfortable as a sole plate would be that is specifically designed for that surface you are playing on!

jayc23 repped this.
  22. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got some magista x proximo IC from that air max heritage pack.

They are f***ing clown shoes. It's not just the bright colorways. Bad combination of bulky shoe and small collar.

Jaxinho repped this.
  23. MBagheri

MBagheri New Member

May 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just picked up the TiempoX Proximo II in the red color-way and they are great. I wanted the launch colorway but for some reason they only released them in Australia and some other regions. Extremely comfortable, responsive, and comparable to my favorite indoors the Lunargato II's that i still wear to this day and will probably never retire.

The Legend VII is my favorite boot right now and the Proximo II is exactly the same minus the fitmesh liner in the forefoot which is not necessary since the Proximos have the suede lip sewn all the way around which will help with durability but also with the structure and integrity of the leather. I will even go as far as to say the Red Proximo leather is softer and more supple then the couple pairs of Academy Pack Legend VII's I have.

Wolfbeatseagle repped this.
  24. lattanzio

lattanzio Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    anyone know when the black and red/blue flyknit ultras release? still sad about missing the black and orange ones....

25. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know they are a bit of an old boot now, but has anyone on here work the Nike Premier SE boots? Just wondered if they are as comfy as the regular Premiers because the sole plate looks really stiff? And the regular Premiers are most comfy boots I own especially for a boot to wear on turf.

Thanks!

appleCORR