Nicknames

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can deal with Five Stripes, but what's the symbolism behind five?

2. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the sense of the nickname? There's absolutely no symbolism behind it. Its just what's on our shirts.

Now Addidas spewed out this crap marketing speak about the stripes on the logo from the unveil, "The 5 stripes represent the pillars of our character. Unity. Determination, Community, Excellence and Innovation. The black stripes are also a nod to Atlanta's history as a railroad town."
    But nobody knows that, we aren't the five stripes because people want to talk about the pillars of our character. We're the five stripes because that is what we wear.

3. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All rightie then - go Cincos!

4. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five fingers on the fist that punched Minnesota to death last night.

CAllen91 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I agree with all that. I think black harts was the worst idea in the history of team nicknames.
    That said, I still think 5 stripes is silly. I know it doesn't matter what I think. I think 5 stripes will still require explanation unlike you. People are going to be like "what in the world does 5 stripes mean".
    It doesn't sound like a sports team nickname.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saying, make a cool story behind it!

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Black Stripes seems more appropriate though than Five Stripes.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If it was Five Stripes then at least we know we'd avoid those hideous thin-striped jerseys Milan once featured.

9. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a fan of pinstripes - if they come with wide lapels and tie with a windsor knot. Imagine our team sauntering out arrayed in such sartorial splendor! They can all have walking sticks and monocles.

10. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on Social Media referred to us as the Scarlet Knights, which was somewhat dramatic, I think. Though I'd relish spending a night with Scarlett Johansen.

Still prefer the Express - especially the way we steam rolled Minnesota and ran through the Jersey Soft Drinks

11. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What's in a NICKNAME?
    By youthguycash on Dec 31, 2016, 2:05pm EST 14

 TWEET SHARE PIN
    Fans of Atlanta United FC find themselves in a position that few fan bases ever get to experience. We are here for the beginning. Everything that happens is exciting. Everything is newsworthy. When a coach is hired, the decision is examined and discussed at length. When a player is signed, the bigger puzzle of this team begins to take shape. When the kit is reveled, celebration ensues. The team is establishing its foundation. It is laying the groundwork for decades of growth and tradition. But establishing traditions can be a tricky game.

Perhaps one of the more polarizing topics since "Atlanta United FC" was announced as the name of this team has been the issue of the team’s nickname. Nicknames have a long history in the beautiful game. At all levels and in all corners of the world fan bases have established nicknames to rally around as they cheer on their lads. These nicknames typically develop around team colors, crest, playing grounds, or some significant industry or connection to the location of the team.

There are plenty Atlanta United fans who feel no need for a nickname, but let’s face it, American sports teams revolve around their nicknames. We don’t need a guy in a mascot costume or anything like that, but having some form of identity will only help to build Atlanta United to the global team we all know it can become. Team President Darren Eales has said that he would like to see the name come about organically. With Minnesota and DC also being named "United," this makes this name less meaningful. With all those considerations in mind, I would like to offer a few suggestions based around Atlanta/Georgia history and symbolism, connections through the teams ownership and management, and the team symbolism that has already been established.

***Atlanta/Georgia-based Names***

1. The Peanuts/The Peachtrees

The Good: Both of these names speak to things that are synonymous with Georgia. Peachtree has an even greater connection to Atlanta in particular.

The Bad: Let’s face it: Peachtree is overused and NO ONE wants to be confused with Charlie Brown and the gang.

Verdict:No and No.

2. The Iron Horses/The Locomotives

The Good: Harkening back to Atlanta’s origins as a rail hub, these two names both convey strength and a connection to history. Also, based on the kit reveal event, it does seem that the train horn may be used when goals are scored in the Benz.

The Bad: The biggest difficulty with this name is the obvious issues around the Atlanta United supporter’s groups. Supporters’ groups take their names in many of the same ways that teams do, so this will be an issue with more than just this name. In an effort to embrace all the supporters’ groups, it may be best to steer away from this one.

Verdict: These are good, but the above considerations should lead away from this pair of names.

3. The Firebirds/Phoenix

The Good: The connection here is obvious. The BEAUTIFUL seal of the city of Atlanta feature the Phoenix and it symbolizes Atlanta’s resurrection from the fire of General Sherman. "Firebirds" in particular would be strong with the connection to the Falcons and all the imagery that will be present in the stadium.

The Bad: This pair suffers from the same issue as the train names above. The team does not need to alienate any of the supporters’ groups by taking any of the groups’ identity for themselves.

Verdict: While these are strong, this has to also be a no.

4. The Walking Dead

The Good: The show is one of the most recognizable pop culture phenomena to come out of Atlanta in the last decade. The number of viewers is undeniable and the connection is a strong one.

The Bad: Besides the difficulty of copyright issues for any official naming, it seems like a bad idea to compare the team to Zombies. This seems like more of a negative name than a positive.

Verdict: Gotta say no, although I would not be surprised to see this used on a tifo by another team against us.

***Ownership/Management Connections***

1. The Blanks/The Blankmen/Blankonia

The Good: Arthur is our DADDY!!! Without Uncle Arthur, none of this would be possible. He seems to have bought into MLS in a major way, but is smart enough to hire the best people to lead the team and step back. We owe it all to Blank. In Blank We Trust!

The Bad: As fun as this idea is, none of these really sound good.

Verdict: No.

2. The Blackbirds/The Talons

The Good: The connection between Atlanta United and the Falcons is undeniable. Same colors. Same owner. Same Stadium. When fans show up to watch Atlanta United, they will be in the midst of plenty of Falcons imagery. Why not take that imagery and make it their own?

The Bad: It could feel like a let down have a nickname that came from an even further shared identity. Fans may want something uniquely ATLUTD.

Verdict: For Blackbirds, I would say probably not. The Talons seems a bit less obvious and could work, but I would put this on the second tier of possibilities.

3. The Horsemen

The Good: This name works on a couple of different levels. Atlanta was formerly the home of World Championship Wrestling. Perhaps the most notorious group in the WCW were the Four Horsemen, headlined by the Nature Boy Ric Flair. Many have already made the comparison of Blank, Eales, Bocanegra, and Tata as our version of the Four Horsemen. The way that this team has been assembled, made splashes with their signings, and let us not forget what happened with the Sean Johnson deal, these guys have lived up to that reputation.

The Bad: The connection may not be an obvious one to many fans. Also, WCW was Ted Turner’s deal and that may not sit well.

Verdict: I am all in on this one, but I feel it may take some MAJOR groundwork.

4. MuchaPlata

The Good: From the Spanish meaning, literally "much silver" this phrase conveys everything about the way that Arthur Blank has opened the checkbook and allowed Eales, Bocanegra, and Tata to build the team they want. It is about bravado. It is about becoming the heels we all know we will be to the rest of MLS fan bases.

The Bad: This one also takes some explanation. Also, not everyone is as excited about embracing the villainous side as some of us are.

Verdict: Unfortunately, probably not.

***Atlanta United Specific***

1. The RedBlacks

The Good: Our home kit, our crest, everything since day one has been about the red and the black. This name says it all.

The Bad: It is a smidge too literal in my opinion.

Verdict: Not creative enough.

2. The Red Tigers

The Good: This conveys the idea of the red and black without being so literal, as above. The stripes are a critical part of the identity of this team and this name conveys that idea along with the colors.

The Bad: If someone wanted to be nitpicky, the stripes are not exactly tiger stripes. This also feels like an attempt to find a "mascot."

Verdict: Please, no.

3. The Golds/The Goldens/The Golden Boys

The Good: There is a lot to love about this idea. Gold is one of the primary team colors. AU is the periodic symbol for gold. In many ways, it could not be more perfect.

The Bad: Despite gold’s place as a primary color, it has not been featured as much as many had hoped. If the leaked away jerseys are the real deal, and there is no reason to think they are not, then the gold is not even on those uniforms.

Verdict: I so want this to be a good name for this team. But the team seems to be using gold as a secondary color at best. With LAFC coming in next year, and expected to feature gold much more prominently, this may not work.

4. The Scarlets

The Good: Sure our official color is "Victory Red," whatever that means, but it sure looks like scarlet to me. The Scarlets not only connects to the team’s colors, but it has a unique connection to Atlanta and Georgia because of the iconic novel/movie Gone With The Wind.

The Bad: This only focuses on one of the colors.

Verdict: Yes, yes, and yes! This would be my vote for a nickname. I love it! I love the connection to both Atlanta/Georgia and to the team specifically. I think this name is exactly in line with the names of other teams across the globe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think? Do you like any of these suggestions? Is there one I missed that works better? And how do we go about getting some kind of consensus on a nickname?

taken from dirty south soccer . com

12. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, man - most of these are pretty awful. The Peanuts? Go you Salty Nuts! The Goldenboys? Fabulous Footie! The Scarlets? As Gawd is my witness, we'll never hemorrhage goals again!

Iron Horse is good, I think. Express better.

13. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It doesn't matter to me anymore. I'd much rather we get rid of United than worry about a nickname.

14. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "United" is just an official appellation. Supporters always come up with the REAL name.

15. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Would of liked to of gone with Atlanta Blaze or Burn...

16. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except:

[​IMG]

17. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bad old days of 96 . . .

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This. We need to stop forcing it. Someday some announcer or pundit will casually use something that might stick, but otherwise I'm all for not overthinking. We have a name, it works, and thus far the team is making it a brand. Why mess with what's working thus far.

At this point I don't want to change. Hokey though it may be the team is bringing elements of this city together like we've not seen before, and the last thing we need to do is go through some even-more-hokey rebrand. Plus at this point it seems like the options are worse than United.

It's working, folks. Just roll with it and emphasize the Atlanta, then the need for another nickname won't even matter.

CAllen91 repped this.
  19. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five Stripes seems to be gathering momentum. I'm not in love with it but, club nicknames don't have to be loved immediately or roll off the tongue beautifully. They just need passion. If 5 Stripes ain't it, then another will grow on us. And there's no limit to just one nickname either.

It takes time to build relationships and ours with our club will be no different.

I'm a huge Fulham supporter. Trust me when I say "Come On You Whites!" came off as pretty generic when I first heard it but, I say it with as much passion (and frustration ;)) as anyone now. I love Cottagers equally.

Folks need to stop working so hard to create. Much of what you want to happen will just happen. Keep Calm and Support Those Five Stripes! :thumbsup:

20. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to persist in referring to them as the Pediatricians for no good reason whatsoever

21. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this on another thread - but I keep hearing our style of play referred to as Fast and Furious. "Red Fury" is as good as Red Devils

22. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Fighting Blanks!

23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could bring in cheerleaders and call them the Blankets :D

GunnerJacket and Bisquick_in_da_MGM repped this.
  24. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This needs to happen. Can we at least get a dance team?

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As long as they're not wet.

CAllen91 repped this.