Nick Taitague at Schalke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2013.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't some opinion, this is some well known thing in American sports. Every dude called scrappy happens to be a white NFL slot receiver, like Wes Welker, a second basemen, like Dustin Pedroia, or a short backup point guard, like Matt Dellavedova.

Ironbound and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  2. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Some people may have made that connection, I did not. I always thought it was a short (primarily) or skinny (secondarily) kind of thing. Maybe I am in the minority, doubt it though.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will personally guarantee that McCaffrey becomes known as scrappy. That's just how it is. I personally find it funny and all, but thats just based on skin color.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Great video, thx to whoever did it. Every Touch is the best thing ever.

First time I've seen him play. Scrappy is definitely a good word to describe, and loves to dribble. He's got massive burst of speed and can slice/dice a defense apart. Gotta say, he goes down way too easy for my liking but I'm just an old curmudgeon.

This kid definitely has something and I'll be very interested to see how he develops against increasingly better opposition.

5. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Christian? I haven't watched too much of him, but from what little I have he seems more versatile, smooth, skilled. Think the adjective is a correlated more because of the position than anything else.

By virtue of being a running back with very little exception he is more likely to be called scrappy than on any other position in my opinion. So not sure that is enough to convince me but opinions and all that....

6. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I haven't seen a huge amount of either, but his style reminds me a bit of Akale: elusive, tricky, happy to attack defenders head-on, quick bursts, etc. I have no idea how accurate that is, but that's been my impression the few times I've watched each.

Gacm32 and wixson7 repped this.
  7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    What about Pacific Islanders?

superdave and Balerion repped this.
  8. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    scrappy, a real gym rat, intelligent player, like a coach out there, a lunch pail player, makes the most of his talent, etc. etc.

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    not sure there's a commonly agreed upon meaning of scrappy.

to some it's a good thing.

to others it signifies the not too tslented player giving 200%.

so some might like it used to describe their player, while others might feel you're being a bit negative.

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    This thread is getting scrappy. Not in a good sense.

Gacm32 and wixson7 repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

His last name is typically...Guamian, I think. One of those tiny islands.

EDIT: What @ielag said.

12. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    fixt

Gacm32, wixson7 and butters59 repped this.
  13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Are we still talking about Scrappy?

[​IMG]

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lemme at em

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Personally, I never associated the word scrappy with quick feet. I always thought it meant someone who makes up for a relative lack of size and athletic ability with toughness and effort. I would call Dax McCarty scrappy, but not Landon Donovan. Rudy, not Christian McCaffrey.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #218 ussoccer97531, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Nick played 90 in a 0-0 draw. Mentioned twice on the ticker, once for a long shot, another for committing a foul. There will likely be a stream on October 14th for Schalke's game against Dortmund. Its winning a vote on the DFB Facebook page, so as long as that happens, it'll be streamed.

This is probably the first game of the season where Schalke has their full attacking compliment. Kruger is finally back, but Kutucu will be leaving for the U-17, so we might not see it again for another month or two. Regardless, it does seem like Taitague has won the last starting XI spot in the attack over Boujellab, Ceka, Neiss, Yildiz, Yilmaz which if it continues will be good for his playing time this season. Hopefully this continues.

USSoccerNova and TarHeels17 repped this.
  19. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Again...not sure where you get your info but Nick has always been a starter for this team and also last year. He didn't have to win it as he is considered one of the best players on the team. Nassim Bouljellab is a starter but had a personal issue so did not start. Okan Yilmiz either plays the top or middle and has taken over for Jason Ceka as he has fallen off. The rest make up the bench and need more developing.
    Kruger did return but was subbed off in the 46th minute. He needs to build up his touch and endurance in the next couple of games.
    Please report on things you know or its just fake news.

Namdynamo, frankburgers and SUDano repped this.
  20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being wrong and fake news are different things, btw.

SlyEli and uniteo repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Wasn't he the only youth player called up last month for an exhibition game vs Gutersloh and got an assist. He seems to be their #1 offensive prospect for their first team. Not a player that needs to fight off players for playing time but a top player.

22. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Wow, he looks incredibly impressive. Watched him, and Wright, and I think Weston in their deep run last spring, and he looked pretty good back then, but now he looks really impressive. If he can stay healthy he could be absolutely huge for us, and getting that work on the defensive end would be fantastic too as it's been forever since we've had a legit winger that is a major force in the attacking end, but can also handle his business on the defensive end, really liked him cutting out that last pass on a near breakaway against Madrid. Looks like he's actually grown a bit in the past year too, has he?

Very excited about the future for the US, present may be a bit muddy, but we have a lot of interesting, talented players piled up between age 16 and 23-24, that could make for a special run in 2022 and 2026 if they can stay healthy (feels like that's pretty much what ruined so many of our most talented kids circa 2008-2013, that and in some cases, the players just not being as talented as we had hoped).

23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's definitely filled out in the past year, and looks like he's added an inch or two.

24. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    There was another player from 19s Tobias Fleckstein that also had a good game, but they won 9-0. Nick had the first assist to Coke and it was during the first half that Tedesco really noticed Nick against men. This game gave notice to Nick.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Nick started today and played the 8. They won 2-1 and reports had him to be person pulling strings on the field. Looks like the coach was managing his workrate. He played over 250 mins in 8 days. Schalke is in 2nd ahead of the clash with Dortmund.