Nick Taitague at Schalke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2013.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #176 TarHeels17, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    I somehow missed this but that is extremely impressive. The only other academy player was Fleckstein, who started at CB. I'd really like to see a playback of this game since something tells me that Nick has progressed a lot since we've last seen him. A winter camp seems likely, especially with not a lot of depth on the wing.

EDIT: Here's a little review video thing. Starts with Nick's assist and ends with a Weston assist.

Namdynamo, Hobo, Anderson11 and 5 others repped this.
  2. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Agreed about his potential to train with the full team in winter camp. Harit seems like a pretty good player, and Konoplyanka is fairly solid....dont think they have much on the wings aside from those two though.

3. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Wow, that was a great ball.

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    It was, even more impressive is that the cross was with his non dominant foot. Channeling his inner Pulisic two-footedness on that one

Johnnybegood10 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Played 90 (subbed off in minute 90) in a 3-1 win. Hard to tell exactly what his contribution was because the translations aren't exact for the Reviersport ticker, but it does seem like he drew the penalty for goal 1 and had an assist on goal 2. There wasn't much of a description of goal 3, so I don't know what his contribution was, other than he didn't score it. I'm having trouble figuring out the formation though, I'm counting 3 defenders, 1 CM, and outright 6 attackers, so there's a chance Nick might've been playing out of position. There's also a chance the coach knows Schalke's just so much better than the teams they play, so he can play a crazy formation.

6. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Formation was confusing but Nassim who usually plays midfield played at left back. Played 4 in the back. 4-3-3 with a withdrawn 10. Nick got the pk and the assist. It was a good game for him as the crowd gave him a clap when subbed off. He is playing better and better and may possibly see some light. Tedesco likes him a lot.

7. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017

Do you have any insight on what position Nicks been playing lately? His coach seems to have a preference for him out wide but w/ his skillset I'd be really curious to see what he looks like more central

8. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Nick plays the winger on this team. He was originally signed to play the 10 but after the first couple of games. Norbert used him as the winger. Nick uses moves and is very fast. Quick.
    Nick had to learn to play defense as wingers are outside wide middies. He flips with Jason or Nassim to play central sometimes but they like him attacking. Also, Schalke found out that Nick was being fouled aggressively, I guess they learned from all of the US Youth national team games that he won a PK in almost every game.
    He is a midfielder and until there is a better attacker on the wing, then this is the way to stretch the field and get the best players on the field.
    Interesting to see him progress to also see him with Christian...they are good friends in Germany so there will be instant familiarity as they somewhat play similar. I think Christian has been a great role model for him.
    Personally, he is effective in the middle, but he uses a lot of scissors and step overs to create space on the wing. Fun to watch and is spoken highly of from Schalke.

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christian & Nick also have the same agent, FYI

wixson7, TxEx and Gacm32 repped this.
  10. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I try not to get too excited about prospects, I really do....but I think we have something here.

Quick feet, two footed and tricky on the dribble. He ran right by 4 guys on that assist...excellent skill there.

His legs look pretty sturdy, and with that low center of gravity and ability to dribble he reminds me of....Hazard. Yeah, I said it. Now if only he could become half the player Eden is, then we'd be in business

GoingGoaling, Gacm32 and Johnnybegood10 repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My record against German clubs is crap. And this didn't change things. ;)

12. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Here is another clip that I found that reminded me of that dribbling. It was about 2 years ago against Czech.

http://imgur.com/aBQ6fOw

wixson7 repped this.
  13. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Very nice, he's right footed so that makes the finish even better. I was channeling my inner unproductive-self today and came across a recent preseason game against Real Madrid's U-19 squad. Taitague is all over the highlights, really shows off his quick burst...he's number 7 in the video.

wixson7 repped this.
  14. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    76 minutes today in a 0-0 draw. Mentioned once on the ticker for being fouled.

Lookingforleftbacks and Winoman repped this.
  17. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    <blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/NTaitague">@NTaitague</a> vs <a href="https://twitter.com/VfLBochum1848eV">@VfLBochum1848eV</a> U19! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/S04?src=hash">#S04</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Knappenschmiede?src=hash">#Knappenschmiede</a> <a href="https://t.co/yTCHtVa6mT">pic.twitter.com/yTCHtVa6mT</a></p>&mdash; maaj1904 (@maaj1904YT) <a href="">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gacm32, Namdynamo, sakibomb523 and 3 others repped this.
  18. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Dynamic as hell

Gacm32 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Scrappy in the tackle.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's the guy that makes organised defense collapse.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Because his feet are quicker.

Gacm32 repped this.
  22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watching the video made me know that someone would call him scrappy. He has all the traits: white, short, and quick feet.

23. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid is gonna be a player.

Gacm32 repped this.
  24. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    What about the bolded made it more likely that someone would call him scrappy. The other yes but white?