Nick Taitague at Schalke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2013.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Played Fenerbache today with Schalke winning 7-0. 60 minute game, played 41 before being subbed. Check out his goal at gametime starting around 36:30 and his burst past defender at around 40:00. Wow.

https://mycujoo.tv/ch/251?id=7991

SlyEli, ShaftBrewer, bballshawn and 2 others repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  3. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm being repetitive but he's a player I prefer in congested areas.

Put him in scenarios where his skill and IQ in tight spaces can be capitalized on.

4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Way to step out on a limb.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was obviously talking about the U-19's.

6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    It would've been obvious if you said it. But ok, my bad.

superdave repped this.
  7. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Played 80 minutes in a 2-0 win against Leverkusen. Not mentioned on the ticker, although that doesn't mean he didn't have a good game.

They play again on Wednesday. Today's game was the first one of the season.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't play today. They put in basically a whole new side (9 changes), and won 2-1. The depth in that team is ridiculous, which is why I've been saying I'm not sure if Taitague will start when they play once per week.

10. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    I am pretty sure that what you are writing is false. I just came upon this post and know Schalke pretty well. Looks like you write what you know which is not correct. I would learn and then write something more accurate. You said that he wasn't going to start the first league game and he did. The mid week game was for the 2nd team as most of the 1st did not play. This is called playing strategy.

anivha, sXeWesley, ebbro and 2 others repped this.
  11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you know Schalke pretty well, then why don't you break them down for us? Give us their strengths and weaknesses and profile their players for us. I'd love to hear your assessment so I know what to look for

largegarlic repped this.
  12. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Young team, lost big presence when haji, weston, speedy right back and alper moved on. Developing forwards with good core in the midfield. Backs are not developed yet but a shutdown of Bayern Lever was a good beginning. Long season ahead. Small team without a bigman anywhere. Nick and Goller stretch the field as wingers and Janis stabilizes the middle with Nassim. Ceka seems to find great position for tap ins. Doesn't play with traditional 10 instead use the double 6 approach as does the senior team. 1st team and u19 team seem to play same formation to give guys some familiarity when trying to level up.
    The team presses hard so the work load starts from the top and involves the wingers until a trap is formed. Not perfected but awesome to watch in person.
    Weaknesses...they are young. Making mistakes are part of it. Injuries are a part of it.
    Strengths...they work hard as does most of the the german youth teams. Strategy and time on field is holistically managed overall by the coaches. Norbert Elgert believes in fitness, working hard, soccer brains...movement like a watch. He coaches with a passion and is delivered with precision. Belief in a system is spilled onto the field. The backs seem to join the attack, but because of that...getting caught in transition was exploited especially in the Bayern Munich game last season.
    I believe Nick starts for Schalke. The midweek game(not a league game) was against a lesser team that plays a little bit on the aggressive side so they played more of the younger players and gave their starting team a rest. Nick and Ceka did not get rostered due to their high minutes during preseason. Janis did not play either. He is the captain. These kids are not going to play 160 minutes in 3 days. They are managed professionally. Workload allows them to regen so no injuries in the beginning of the season. Heartrate is monitored as well as workload. Method to this.
    On any given day, they can be sloppy. But their game this weekend is against Koln who they lost to last year. Their team is coached by an american I believe...not sure, he speaks as though...Schalke was heavily favored but lost.
    Norbert changes formation and uses players differently to change things up. Nick can play 9, 10, 11, and sometimes 8. One thing I am detecting from comments is that Nick is used because of his 1v1 abilities. Very fast feet but his delivery from the wing is invaluable. Quick and fast, but small and as Will Parchman said about Nick...these small players need time to develop. He has the confidence of his coach, Norbert. Sorry so long.
    Flo and Cyborra are hurt but will return soon. Flo is a forward and Cyborra is a back. Both with knee injuries from last season. When they return...the team will be much better on both sides of the field.

wixson7, anivha, Namdynamo and 12 others repped this.
  13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your optimism and I have to say, he passes my eye test. I have read some things written by Schalke fans where they weren't as confident in him. They've seen far more of him than I have, and some of them go to the games. Basically, they said he plays great at times but lacks consistency. Hopefully, now that he's in his second year, he will be able to step up and distance himself from the rest of the team.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed by much of the rest of the team in preseason. At least Hemmerich was impressive last season.

14. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    This team was combined in July and right now it is August. You are hard to please not letting them time to get a a feel of each other(that is why they call it preseason). Different situations. I believe Nick was injured when he started in Feb and it nagged him for 6 weeks. He was more consistent in April, May, and June. He started in all the big games. Norbert doesn't just play inconsistent players, but he also gives them time to develop over that time. Playing in Germany coming from a club situation in FC Richmond is night and day. It does take 3-6 months of acclimation. These kids do not have family there so there is an element of loneliness that set in during the beginning. I am sure you understand that...I feel positive about these Americans and wish them well. It takes about a year for full integration. Christian was there from 16 and had 2 years to fully integrate into the player that he is right now. Time and the right attitude will produce these players.
    Hemmerich is very fast but a small defender needs time to gain confidence and girth. He is Lahm like in his runs and scoring ability.

sXeWesley and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Taitague played 88 minutes in a 2-0 win. He was mentioned on the ticker a few times.

sakibomb523, TxEx, PalmettoSpur and 2 others repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Taitague played 90 in a 1-1 draw. Seems like he might've had an assist, but I'm not sure. Lets wait for the highlights.

sakibomb523, ielag and ckajMonet repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He spent some time with the then-Carolina Railhawks (now NCFC) between Richmond and Schalke.

Since you know Schalke...I am playing Football Manager, and my club is playing them in the Champions League. This is a game designed in England, not the US. Anyway, they call the club Gelsenkirchen, not Schalke. I'm curious why the different names.

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine it's a licensing issue.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    ussoccer97531, uniteo, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  22. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats really interesting and good news. What I read from the fans on him isn't necessarily great, but if the club rates him very highly, who cares what the fans say?

SUDano repped this.
  24. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    He is doing really well. I have not read any negative entries from fans. He is progressing nicely as well as all of the americans. I take it that you form opinions from other people's thoughts instead. Here is a thought...doing well, provided the first assist to Coke. In a lot of the games, he seems to be in the play to drive forward to score.

Schalke is pretty good at nurturing talent. Pretty sure they are not obligated to just give away first team minutes to bad or average players. You have to earn time. Also, these players are allowed to have a bad game once in a while, you cannot learn without them. Not sure what sites, but he played a good game per fans and reporters at the game. Kid is growing in front of our eyes.

I remember a quote from a movie..."the bad stuff is easier to believe"...when it isn't true...

Namdynamo, PalmettoSpur and GoingGoaling repped this.
  25. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Don't know but good luck.