Nick Taitague at Schalke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2013.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't sure, my mistake.

2. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes

superdave repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beerslinger23, HartwickFan and Winoman repped this.
  5. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just drew a penalty

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So we are using this thread today? lol

Its 2-1 at the half. A Felix Götze own goal, and then the goalie fouled Taitague, so Kubler scored the PK. Not sure it was a foul, but if the ref calls it, it counts.

I would say all three Schalke Americans have been above-average, no more. Its a really disjointed game.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought Nick had a decent match. Whether he dove or not, he drew his team a penalty in the first half. He also had some nice moments on the ball. You can tell his feet are excellent, very quick, complete control of the ball. In the second half, he was a very un-selfish play to lay the ball off to Haji for a shot at the top of the box, and that was a goal. So you could say he actually had two assists, since the drawn penalty+ conversion will count as an assist. He's not completely all the way there with his play at this level. I thought the other two Americans had a bigger impact on the game, but Nick's also a year younger, and showed some nice elements, along with contributing to some goals. He was subbed off in minute 68.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
  10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schalke's statements don't really contradict what Ramos said in terms of release.

Schalke said that the U.S. U-20 team could have Weston "at the earliest possible moment" - which means after Schalke's U-19 season.

Schalke have the semifinal 2nd leg next Tuesday and should advance after winning the first leg 3-1 on the road. Then the final is on May 22 which is after the start of the U-20 World Cup

I am not sure what Schalke means when they say Tab could have called him up

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    It might mean "The guys are so good that even coming late they would help more than the bunch of mediocre attacking players that you called. Do you really needed all of them?". Or not.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They'd miss the first match. They could technically be available for the second match. Maybe off the bench, would be similar to playing an international match on a Tuesday and then having a club match the next Friday when you return. Obviously a tough situation traveling over different continents, but that fact alone should not completely rule a player out for three days later.

And if you feel like these guys are good enough, I don't see the point in not taking them, if you feel they deserve to be on the team. You don't use up all 21 spots the first game. Even if you make three subs, and subs at their positions, you can probably go without a few players the first match.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    This was the first full game I've watched of the trio. Taitague usually comes off around the 70-75th minute and now it kind of makes sense why. Schalke presses hard and often, and Nick was the workhorse of it. Really flies around the other team's end and still has to get back quickly when they break midfield.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see a big presence from Nick right now at this level, and thats what I read is often the case for him. He has some flashes of really nice skill, but seems to be a little less active than the other two Americans. He's in the younger age group of the two for this U-19 team, so its fine, nothing to really worry about. Give him another year. I'd like to see him play centrally next year, I think playing on the wing hurts his game.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  17. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Watched the entire game, he was good but not great in the way that some of his moves or passes didn't come off. It's close enough that you can feel that's it's almost there.

Good dribbler, good passer, turns with the ball very easily, defensive work rate is A+ and he is decent defensively.

wixson7, sakibomb523, ChuckMe92 and 4 others repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  19. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too familiar with U-19 Bundesliga action, but is Schalke beating BVB 6-0 something expected? I'd think BVB would have a strong academy too, no?

22. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    They do have a strong academy. This result is kind of unexpected, but maybe BVB is not playing their best XI for whatever reason.

23. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    They probably rested a good number of players after the U19 final on Monday.

Winoman and Gacm32 repped this.
  24. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So, Wright had 3 and Taitague had 2? That's pretty impressive: 5 goals for our boys today!

25. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    On the shitty end of that shelling appears to be Will Pulisic. Sucks for him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BVBJugend

Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.