Nick Taitague at Schalke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    IMG_2880.JPG
    Picture from team photographer...Okan, Nick, and Jason

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A @bshredder profile:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/schalke-s-nick-taitague-i-am-up-for-the-challenge

“I feel like I am getting closer,” Taitague said. “I had an appearance in a friendly and I think I did really well. The coach told me I had a great game and said to keep doing the same thing with the U-19s and when I am ready, I can get pulled up. It's possible but I feel like I still have some things to work on. I am willing to put in the work necessary. My coach wants to see me take over games as a bridge to the first team."

PalmettoSpur, Winoman, Namdynamo and 8 others repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #228 ussoccer97531, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Good player but promotion to the first team doesn’t happen that way at Schalke. He has to do his time on the U19 team under Norbert. His game isnt there yet. U19 is there for development, physically and emotionally. Too quick to move up. Germans are not quick to move from U19s to first team until you put in your time in...Ahmed will get there. The world doesn’t end tomorrow.

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    No, it ended on Tuesday.

6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hey Christian Pulisic called and said to tell you, German clubs tend to promote players who are good enough.//

wixson7 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Played 49 minutes in a 3-1 loss to Dortmund.

The game was streamed on the DFB website, but I thought it was tomorrow, so I completely missed it. They don't allow you to rewatch streams either on that website.

8. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    According to the gamecast, Harit came off early with an injury today. Maybe a chance for Nick to join the first team for a bit?

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Goller would be ahead of him, likely Kutucu as well if they want any hope of keeping him at the club, although he just got injured the other day, not sure how serious.

Even then, if you look at the squad, they have two players injured who should be back next week with Nastasic and McKennie, although next week Oczipka might not be available on paternity leave, depending on when his baby is born, Tedesco mentioned it this week, but he was available today, so I'd assume the baby has yet to be born. They also have Riether who they just signed as a free agent, likely just in case of injures, I doubt he plays much, but I would think he goes onto the bench way before promoting a guy from the U-19's who didn't even play preseason with the first team.

Don't get me wrong, I like Taitague, but his stats in the U-19 league are pretty mediocre. I'm just not sure he's anywhere near first team playing time. He is listed with 0 goals and 0 assists this season. I think he actually has 1 assist (drawn PK). His total stats over the two years are 0 goals, 3 assists (counting the drawn PK not listed) in 1134 minutes. For a youth league, thats mediocre, whether we like the player or not. McKennie had better stats from CM last season, Wright absolutely blew those stats away over his two years. I think Taitague is a little ways off and thats what I've read from those who would know, but maybe not?

10. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    He played 59 minutes today. He has 4 assists in the year. Last year he had 7 assists with only starting in February. He has produced 5 penalty kicks that has contributed to Haji's goal tally. He is doing fine. He plays the winger position. His best play is to dribble at man and create space for the 10 and 9. He has 50% of the assists for the season. He is doing fine and developing into a good footballer.

11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I'm not really in tune with Schalke's youth teams, but wasn't Nick called up to the first team for friendlies over those other guys, or am I missing something?

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    PalmettoSpur and Winoman repped this.
  13. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Game report from this week said that Nick was sick during the BVB game. It does makes sense and also, he played 180 minutes while in Spain...90 against Belgium and 90 against Russia. They were managing his minutes. Norbert is smart coach.

14. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I watched the first 20ish minutes before the shitty camera angle and glare of the sun became too annoying. During that time, Nick had a nice shot on goal that the keeper made a good save on, he also showed quick feet in evading an opponent in midfield and carrying the ball forward 40 yards.

The kid has excellent feet and is super quick. His top end speed might not be elite but he can definitely gain immediate separation from his mark. In my couch potato worthless opinion, I think his first few steps are faster than Pulisic's, his shot might be a bit better too. Now...if only his instincts and decision are as good, then we'll really be onto something.

The announcers referred to him as "slick Nick", for what that's worth

Namdynamo, sakibomb523, wixson7 and 2 others repped this.
  15. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Dick Nick?

16. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Well Pulisic has a world class first step/acceleration with Auba saying CP can beat him in a twenty yard race, so if his first step is quicker that would really be something.

17. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Nick scored and won a penalty in a sloppy game with 2 red cards. 10v10. Schalke won 5-1.

18. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    highlights anywhere?

19. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
  20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    That's an impressive game by their #9. Big dude.

Johnnybegood10 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    Flo just coming back from injury. He is a true #9. Very big and very good.

22. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Really liked that moment on the sideline with Nick and Elgert. Taking every second to teach and correct mistakes even in a blowout, and then still gives praise and positive reinforcement for a good game afterward. Easy to see how he developed such a reputation.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I know Elgert has a great reputation, but I do wonder how great he is, and I've been reading some criticisms of him this season from the club's fans.

This Schalke team has underachieved big time. This team is even more talented than last year's team, but they aren't getting the results the fans want. Even today, supposedly they played really poorly in the first half, and exploded for like 15 minutes to make a close game look lopsided.

I even notice that Elgert's coaching did not get Wright's work ethic to change, it started changing this season under Kocak. Elgert yelled at him for two years to improve his work ethic, and it did no good. Kocak has changed his work ethic in 3 months.

Is Elgert the one who's yielding all these talented players or is it the player recruitment?

24. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The player's had that concern for years now. That might just be his mentality.

25. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    First of all, Norbert has a great reputation because he is a great teacher of the game. Secondly, although he plays to win, his team might not win all of the time. His motivation isn't to just win, its to develop his players into first team players...that is his main job. Winning is gravy. He has had Nuer, Kolanisac, Reese, Sane, and Ozil. When you watch a game from the sidelines or on tele, his message is constant and on point. He doesn't coach for the fans as they might be motivated by the way they betted. Yes, betting is allowed at the u19 level in Germany and many other places. These people want a sure thing and not a developing player system. Its a balance...symbiotic relationship.
    As for Haji, he improved greatly from day 1. He was a little slow to pick up, but now, he is motivated because his friend Christian, Weston, and McKinzie have made it to the top level. You can get away with acting young at the U19 level, but now its time to grow up. Norbert had made him into a very good #9 positional player. It's upto Haji to apply.
    As I wrote earlier to rebuke ussoccer97531...this is a young team. This team lost something when Haji, Weston and Alper moved on. They need time to develop because they are a very small team compared to last years physical team. Yes this team is talented but might need to learn and apply some new tricks to win. Learn to win using their talent.
    And, one last thing, stop regurgitating other people's criticisms. Watch a game and form your own opinion.
    Schalke went down early on a once in a lifetime shot that drooped into the corner. Then Cyborra was shown the red in the 20th minute. Playing a man down for almost 40 minutes and a goal. The team came back and won 5-1. The only thing correct about your post was "and exploded for like 15 minutes to make a close game look lopsided."...that statement pretty much sums up a lot of good teams in Bundesliga, Premier, and La Liga....
    Watch more than one game and then form an opinion. Norbert is a good coach.

Namdynamo and chrome_vapors repped this.