Nick Taitague at Schalke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  2. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Our winters are very comfortable.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas is okay. Houston, yeah I’ve bought enough used cars to know what you’re selling

4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I'm literally sitting at my desk in a skyscraper in downtown Houston right now. I enjoy living here having lived in other cities as well.

Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    To each their own I suppose. Lived in Houston for 10 years. Have been back once in 20 years. Concrete wasteland with a climate to match.

Gacm32 and Real Corona repped this.
  6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    About winter? Dallas gets colder, snow, ice on roads. Houston not so much.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel you on that. I also never want to go outside when visiting Houston.

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yea, I work inside all day... like most normal people.. my car sits in an air conditioned parking garage attached to the building... so the crying about the heat doesn't really bother me that much..

Two hottest summers I ever spent in my life were in Washington D.C. in 2011 and 2012. That sh*t was hot.

Winoman repped this.
  9. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Not only is D.C. just stupid hot and humid in the summer, but you end up having to walk around outside a ton when you live/work there. I get the sense that house with a/c > car with a/c > parking garage with a/c > office with a/c is more the rule in places like Houston and Atlanta.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah because how else could you live there!? There were very few major cities in the south before air conditioning. Miami was considered uninhabitable. To the point where one politician actually proposed to just build a wall across south Florida

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's something which sucks about Europe. Many places either don't have AC or the AC system flat out sucks.

Europeans seam to enjoy sweating their asses off indoors and smelling like BO.

12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Depends where you're at. In Eastern Europe, the AC is generally no existent or atrocious.

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that the "green" laundry machines do zilch.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, about Nick

Winoman repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's apparently injured and/or not good enough for Shalcke matches in the pre-season.

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Officially on the Schalke II squad right now, still recovering from his injuries and building up his fitness.

zlebmada repped this.
  17. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Historically, being on the Schalke II team has been a very bad sign. I looked.

Since 2013, 6 "classes" of 107 players total have graduated from Schalke U19; 13 went to the 1st team squad. Of those 13, 6 went on loan and one was immediately bought. The other 6 are all either in the Bundesliga or the EPL (Sane and Kolasinac). The 7 are all at 2.Bundesliga level or lower, save for a GK in the Eredivisie.

Phil Neumann technically went to the first team from the U19 squad, but spent almost all his time with Schalke II so I'm including him in the following:

46 players moved to Schalke II. Of those, 2 are in the Bundesliga: Philipp Max of Augsburg and Marcel Sobottka of Fortuna Dusseldorf.

5 are in 1st division squads in smaller leagues; (Poland, Iceland, Turkey, Switzerland, Sweden).

6 are between the 2.Bl and the 3.BL, or in a 2nd division in a different league.

3 are still with Schalke II and 3 are with other reserve squads.

The other 30 are 4th level BL or lower, or out of football entirely.

Of the remaining 48, 1 is on a Serie A team, 1 is on a J League team, and the rest are completely unremarkable.

The way I see it, there are 4 clear tiers to Schalke Academy graduates. I do believe this translates roughly across Bundesliga teams.

Best is to go straight to first team, like McKennie. That is extremely promising and basically a 80%+ chance of being a top player.

2nd best is to go out on loan from the first team, like Wright. That said, at that point 2.Bundesliga is the ceiling for most players in this tier.

Next is to go to reserves. To generalize, you have a 5ish % chance of making the Bundesliga from the reserves and most likely that won't even be on the team you came up with. 12-15% chance of playing top flight football somewhere even if it's not a top squad.

Finally is to not continue with your team. Outside of remarkable cases this is the end of the road for most players.

What does that mean for Nick? I'm not sure. Since 0 of the academy graduates this season seem to be gearing up for the first team, I'm holding out hope that Schalke is going to have their reserves make a promotion push this season.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice work. I'd imagine you'd see similar trends at other Bundesliga clubs.

There are always late bloomers, but the fact of the matter is that if you aren't good enough to make the jump to the Bundesliga at age 19/20 even as a backup, you're probably never going to be good enough.

The hope for Taitague is that his injury issues have artificially depressed his career trajectory and he'll be able to catch up to a Bundesliga trajectory when he (again, hopefully) puts his injury woes behind him.

If nothing else, Taitague seems like he'd be in the upper echelon of the "Schalke II" crowd and eventually find a solid home somewhere, even if it's below Bundesliga level.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think he has air conditioning.

PhillyFury and TarHeels17 repped this.
  20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it means he's healthy again but isn't match fit.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of shape.

punintended_13 repped this.
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Nick seems to have become an injury prone player.. hopefully he can stay healthy cuz it’s really hurting his progress. Bummer