Nick Taitague at Schalke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2013.

1. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are funny. Injuries are a part of competitive sports. Nick suffered mildly from them last season.

Don't read too deeply into social media comments said in jest and don't let one season dictate your perception of a long term pattern.

bballshawn repped this.
  2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve said before, I’ll say it again. Nick is one of the most photogenic people I’ve ever seen.

5. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I've not seen much of him at all. What is the expectation for him? I'd be interested to see him go on loan and get some real pro games under his belt so we/he/everyone can get a gauge for what he can do. Would hate to see him wade around the 23s all year.

6. BrennenZinckgraf

United States
    May 10, 2018
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd imagine with where he is with injuries, the general plan is for him to spend the fall getting healthy and playing with the U23s, maybe going on loan in January?

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what are his chances of playing any first team matches this season?

i kinda thought he might be one of the ones to watch but now i'm not so sure i.e. making a first-team debut this year.....

wixson7 repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if he's a Schalke II player, will be very hard to get chances. Schalke management recently said the jump from OL to 1BL is too big of a jump and Schalke II players rarely get any chances in the 1st team these days.

would not be surprised if Schalke's management are using some of these players to get Schalke II back into the RL.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Keep in mind he's not 100% healthy and fit for the first team. He had successive injuries at the end of last season and had a bad pull in his last game. They said he was going to Schalke II to gain full fitness. Your point is based for a player who had full fitness. He'll get a chance if he shows good form and particularly if they struggle outwide.

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if that's the case why is he in the Schalke II squad including the II photo? he's not the only 99 in their as well. One can train with the reserves without being one of them but Nick seems to be one.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Because they said he needs time to recover from injury regain fitness then play some games for Schalke II. Maybe a month or two long process.

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    there is a reason why a lot of his 99 buddies left the club (with buyback clauses), even the ones who impressed Tedesco were told the squad is packed and they won't get playing time. So instead they went to 2BL and the Eredivisie, were they will play at a higher level.

seems like the only reason Nick hasn't left is because he's still not fit for 3 months now, his chances to find another club are lesser.

if you look at the Schalke II squad there is no Goller no Wiemann. Where are they? They are with the 1st team camp. Goller even played a Schalke II friendly but isn't considered part of Schalke II as of now. Even Donis Avdijaj has been playing games with Schalke II isn't considered part of the reserves and is still reported to be leaving.

14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I get what you're saying. If he was a super top prospect even with an injury he'd be with the first team. I really don't believe that but its understandable why you would think that. I don't believe Schalke thinks Nick is a super top can't miss prospect but I also don't believe they think he's not good enough to be. He's in a holding pattern. A player coming off injuries can't be loaned, can't practice, he's even shown in some pictures training by himself because of his recovery process. He can't leave, he can't be with the first team to fight for a spot, he's in limbo. Where do you put a soon to be 20 yr old who is coming back from injury but not ready to fully compete? Schalke II. Give him time and his spot on the team will become clearer. I personally think he's very talented but needs to be more assertive and productive around goal. Not alot but alittle. Having a healthy chance at proving it will go far in helping everyone determine where he ends up. Patience my son.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he's not the only player.
    you have other 99 players in II, you have 99s with the pros and you have 99s who left but have buyback clause (and these guys will be playing at a higher level).

as of now, no 99 has really really left Schalke, they are all still within the clubs's grasp and they aren't going to promote everyone.

even if he was with the 1st team I doubt he'd win a spot too. Like I posted above, even guys who impressed Tedesco in preseason were told there is currently no space for them.

besides they already know what he can do between the U19 season and Winter preseason.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    What part of he's injured don't you understand. He was a top 3 prospect last winter. If there's no room and he's injured then that explains a whole lot. But injuries, transfers, and form fluctuation changes a many first team roster. Pulisic only got a chance because Reus and others were out. Today is now, next month is in the future. Time changes many a plan.

17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #492 Ger90, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    top 3 prospect according to who?The 99 at Schalke are a better group of players as in team over individual ones. The proof of that is that Schalke called up 6 99 players at their Summer camp + 1 00 in Kutucu. They even said they were undecided on promotion as to why so many were called up. And 2 of those guys are currently officially part of Schalke II like Nick and another 2 have left the club with buyback clauses. The last 2 are currently training with the 1st team and are reported to have the best shot at 1st team contracts. Besides another 2 unrelated to the Summer camp who left before the camp and got buyback clauses. Schalke are also very high on Kutucu, who should be done with the U19 next season and can play a variety of different attacking positions.

that's 9 including Nick 99 players. They won't promote too many 99s to the 1st team. If Goller who's with the 1st team gets a pro contract what's the likelihood Nick also gets one?

Not sure I get the insistence on him being at Schalke. A lot of German fans want to see the 99 German players leave to get higher playing time over playing the whole season at Schalke II in OL with some 1st team training. And depending on numerous players injured just to possibly get playing time. Where's the benefit in that? Even if one plays/pro contract there is no guarantee the player isn't sent back to the reserves either.

injury or no injury, why have we gotten tweets about how Nick isn't sure he wants to stay at Schalke? Even guys like Barth have said that many Schalke U19 players dont want to play in OL and would rather leave as well as the 1st team being packed.

anyways the point is that for the foresable future, Nick is officially part of Schalke II. Whether he ever plays for the Schalke 1st team or not, will depend on numerous factors.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so pretty much missed all of his preseason chances at this point and has been out for like 3 months. That Austrian camp is over a week long too.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    All their top prospects are on professional contracts, they get paid. They are not on amateur contracts. We essentially agree. We're both trying to read a crystal ball with differing interpretations. I think Taitague is a little more highly thought of than grouping him with everyone of the 9 99s as equally thought of. You think he's with Schalke II in spite of the injury and I think he's with Schalke II because of the injury. Time will tell. I think they want to hold off on letting him leave or a loan until they get a better sense of 20 y old injury free Nick. And you think they have already decided in stone what their final decision on him is. We slightly disagree on that point.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #496 Ger90, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    not saying all those 99 are highly rated but there is a difference between them and a guy like Ceka for example. Who was never a prospect for pro contract and was directly in II. And Tedesco was clear to some of those 9 that even though they impressed there is no space for them so leaving (for now) is the best option for them. Get playing time at a higher level.

Also never said that it's set in stone but for now he's officially part of the II . And whether he ever gets a real chance (not training) or not depends on numerous factors.

the U19 captain Kubler is rated by Schalke and it's fans and did well in preseason but is currently in Schalke II because the midfield is packed same as any attacking position.

if one looks at why Wiemann is with the 1st team it's because he's a CB and Schalke are debating whether to buy a new CB or let Wiemann be the guy. He's also been involved in every preseason friendly. Goller did well in the China tour when called up and can play numerous attacking position as well as playing as a wingback. Basically his versatility is a main reason he's there.

the players who will get the best shot at the Schalke 1st team are the ones who's positions are needed or could be useful. Ones who play in packed positions not as much.

22. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Let's be honest. Some here have long suspected that Taitague was possibly, some day, a first rate player. He was plagued by injuries last year, yet there was plenty of talk, and play, testifying to quality. It helped if you'd seen him a bit, as I had in that Czech tourney (before moving to Schalke) where he'd made the other teams look silly.

Obviously not easy for a kid to break into Schalke -- the odds are against him, nobody's saying they aren't. But the kid's clearly maybe got something. Schalke know that and want to see what it's all about, if he can ever get healthy. We wait with bated breath.

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schalke's current 1st team squad is made up of 27 players+2 players on loan. Not counting any U19 player who gets a pro contract nor all the guys who are now like 5 who have buyback clauses.

Players who make a matchday squad: 18 players.

pretty much means that 9 1st players will be left out from each matchday squad.

Winoman repped this.
  24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You are mistakenly using the term pro contract as a synonym for first team play.
    Almost all Schalke and top teams have signed their top youth players to professional contracts and keep them on their academy teams but not on their first teams. This ensures that they have them under pro contract to transfer them or else they can leave on a free transfer.

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not sure what that has to do with my post anyways. Never equated pro contract with 1st team play. Tons of players get pro contract but never play. Haji was one of only 3 last season who got one but has never played for Schalke 1st team nor is he in any 1st team plans for next season. A reason as to why he's in the reserves.

having a contract with a club is not the same thing as a pro contract. Even look at announcements, they differentiate between extending their contracts and pro contract. Kruger of Schalke U19 extended his contract by 1 year to Schalke but that's not a pro contract.