Nick Lima

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think a good comparison with Lima would be Gressel in the role he played for Tata (before he was noved into more of a cmid role).

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lima trained with Hertha during the offseason. Training and trailing are two different things. They could very well make a move for him, but we have zero evidence as of now, so it seems a bit irresponsible to be speculating about "the only reason he didn't move"...

Just to illustrate how different training and trailing can be: Brek Shea trained with Arsenal one offseason

citations:
    Q&A: Catching up with Nick Lima during his training stint in Germany

San Jose Earthquakes' Nick Lima joining Hertha Berlin for training

BS:
    Nick Lima Training @ Hertha Berlin

Report: Nick Lima, Cole Bassett and Sam Vines train with Bundesliga

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but unlike Edelman, Lima was never busted for PEDs, so maybe find a non-cheater to compare him with...

4. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As an aside, Edelman is definitely the type of right sized athlete that I would like to see give soccer a chance as a kid. The guy is fast and explosive ( 36 inch VJ at his pro-day). It sure would be nice to see that sort of athlete working the wings for the USMNT. I rarely see that sort of VJ from MLS prospects at the combine.

gunnerfan7 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin --> right mid
    Lima --> right fb
    Adams remains where he is (dm)

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Yedlin is fast but deficient in skills. Why in the world would you want him closer to goal, where defenses get tighter? That makes little sense.

Mahtzo1, adam tash, onefineesq and 3 others repped this.
  7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    He might work as a super wide, chalk on his boots, winger.

Mostly I agree and think he’s just a poor fit in Berhalter’s system

tomásbernal repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it's nice for 3G to have options.

Pragidealist repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who knows what it means. Reggie does have two caps under Berhalter, and he did well in those games. It was Lima's turn.

Worth mentioning that Reggie Cannon is 4 years younger than Nick Lima. Nick's game SHOULD be more refined.

Cannon, it should be noted, came into MLS from UCLA......................known more for his offensive game. His blistering pace up the right flank and his ability to get into the attack. We were all worried about the defensive side of his game. It seems that last season with FCD he really FOCUSED intently on his defensive play first. He did really well there, so much so that he almost broke FCD's record for most minutes in a season. Now in 2019 we hope to see him getting into the attack more.

There are PLENTY of games in 2019 between the friendlies, Gold Cup, League of Nations, etc. for Berhalter to look at Yedlin, Lima, Cannon, and others. The US U23s should be ramping up their preparations for Olympic qualifying as well. The three right backs for them right now would be Cannon, Brooks Lennon, and Sergio Dest.

don Lamb, TCS35 and Panache repped this.
  10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was out last year with an ACL tear. He took something to speed his recovery. He's been tested many times before and since, but never been busted. Anyway, that wasn't the point of the comparison, but I think you knew that. #offtopic

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Did you mean to post this? Berhalter only has the last two games right?

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The only Super Bowl I've seen this year was an all catch vid of Edelman on my news feed. What I loved about his game was the way he was able to minimize vertical distortion which enabled him to turn and face up the pitch after catch in less than zero secs.

oh well, to each his own.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You are correct. I misspoke. Cannon's had his two caps in late 2018 prior to Berhalter........................

14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the lateral quickness was well known. I wanted to point out the explosion.

15. Panache

Panache New Member

Jul 1, 2016
    I’ve watched Cannon for many years and what I’ve noticed is that he builds his game by focusing on new pieces each year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see his offensive talents on display this season. Also, Luchi appears to give players much more latitude in how they play than Oscar did. I would anticipate seeing more of a complete game from Cannon more often than we’ve seen in the past.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I missed the vertical explosion.

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    We have no idea if this inverted fullback thing is something we will ever see again. We have no idea if it will ever be used against decent opponents. It is possible that it was something semi-complex that they worked on to see what training methods got the most done in the shortest time. Installing a basic 4-4-2 that every player has seen would not give you any data but trying to teach something none of them has seen would.

Lima did nothing as a DM. He never made a half turn or passed it forward. Saying he can play DM based on these games is hard to do. He can find the DM position and run to it and back, that is what we have proof of.

His best moments were in attack when he was switched inside of the winger. I think the DM thing is nothing but that being able to be dynamic with the winger is an important part of GB's system. People will say Yedlin can't do it, but I've seen him make more plays from that area (the T&T assist to Pulisic is one that stands out) than from an overlapping position. We can say that Lima can do it well against poor competition. As the level goes up in soccer it is not the technical skill that gets better just the speed of decision making. Yedlin plays in a league with a speed of decision making light years beyond what was required on Saturday. Maybe Lima can play at the level, maybe the whole USMNT can't play at that level either so it doesn't matter.

Lima's other best moments were in typical fullback spots. His great dribble was from a typical fullback position.

It is probable that Cannon simply wasn't as good or didn't understand when to switch with Baird and when not to. Or when he switched, he didn't stay in the channel(s) he was suppose to.

Lima was never really tested defensively. There was no one on the Panama team or CR team that could be an MLS defender 1 v 1 and I don't think any really tried.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yedlin is not a good possession passer, but he is a good attacking passer for a wide player. He has 7 primary assists in 57 caps, which compares favorably to most of the top attacking players in the pool.

I'd like to see him used a wing-forward in 3G's 433. His role would be that of stretching the defense, providing an outlet, aggressive tracking back on offense, and getting in crosses.

Caps/Assists.
    Acosta: 23/1
    Altidore: 110/13
    Bedoya: 66/11
    Bradley: 143/22
    Chandler: 29/2
    Johnson: 57/11
    Morris: 25/2
    Nagbe: 25/1
    Pulisic: 23/6
    Wood: 45/3
    Yedlin: 57/7
    Zardes: 42/8

Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  19. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Marko72, due time and Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    But that was off of a corner. I think he was one of the two guys back. That is not the same as in line with Bradley or Trapp as we build out of the back.

It is a corner, positions are not applicable. Fullbacks make slide tackles and crosses.

When in the DM role in the 3-2-2-3, he did almost nothing and never made a half turn or forward pass. Look at the passmap, his average position is near Baird, nowhere near Bradley. His defensive actions are all near the touch line.

If he was paying as a DM his passing and defensive actions would be in the middle, they weren't.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  21. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    A Dmids job is to break up counter attacks and turn the ball back to the attack and he did it. It simply does not matter where he is standing at he did Dmid things.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Not so much as a right back per se, but he played a lot of 2017 as a right winger. This past season, however, he was almost purely a CM.

He could also definitely serve as the RB/DM MUFC hybrid that Lima played these past two games. But I'd honestly rather have him play in the midfield.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Could he play it? Sure!

Should he? Not if there’s a spine position that we’ve got a low ceiling player penciled in.....

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin/Lima running overlaps all day on the right side would be absolutely petrifying for opposing defenses. I think its something we ought to consider having them hold down right back/right mid for the game. There are very few teams in the world who could contend with that much speed on one side of the field.

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think that might be a good idea when playing much better teams as a right back would always be covering for a right back and they may be able to press better since they are defenders. Against weaker sides I'd prefer a better attacking player at winger / right mid.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.