NHFS - trainer using tobacco

Discussion in 'Referee' started by SA14mars, Feb 19, 2018.

1. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several years ago I encountered a situation as an AR in a JV game where I observed the head athletic trainer for a facility using chewing tobacco on the sideline during the game. He was checking on the water coolers. It was very clear what it was from my perspective. I didn’t say anything at the time, but wanted to get thoughts on how y’all would handle that or feel it should be handled.

2. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF does that have to do with refereeing a soccer game? Christ man we have enough to worry about as it is.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rule 12 of NFHS Rules Book

A Player, coach, or bench personnel shall be cautioned for:
    • Use of any tobacco products or electronic cigarettes at the game site during the period of the jurisdiction of the officials
    If you referee games under NFHS rules, then you've agreed to enforce them. So it has everything to do with refereeing a soccer game.

Kit and me116 repped this.
  4. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck with that :thumbsup:

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't expect it to be much of an issue. Using tobacco and/or alcohol on a public school property is a huge deal. In fact it's a crime in some states I'm assuming.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  6. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    pick your battles carefully...

7. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    My favorite along these lines is my HS partner putting out his LAST cigarette as we approached the gate to the field.

But, I probably would mention it to the AD/site supervisor at the END of the day. Let them take care of it. I don’t think it’s a good look for a trainer to be using tobacco, anyway.

8. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Dude, what health care professional is using lip dirt? At a High School? Dude!

Most of the health care places around here (big hospitals, at least) test you for tobacco and you can get canned for using it.

9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Wacka-wacka ;)

Law5 repped this.