Nguyen: PSV v NEC 08/25 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Clint Eastwood, Aug 25, 2007.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Loans deals are not subject to the international transfers laws. Although certain federations have rules regarding loans between two teams in the same league. For example, Lee if was loaned out to another Eredivisie club, he probably would not allowed to play against PSV.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    In the Netherlands, yes.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, I was wong! That doesn't happen very often ;) Thanks for setting me straight!

4. Soccerretired

Soccerretired New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Young PSV started the new campaign with a 3-1 win

http://english.psv.nl/web/show/id=58980/contentid=21480
    Quite a few young first-team squad players made an appearance last night. Dirk Marcellis, Manuel da Costa, Género Zeefuik, Fagner Conserva Lemos, Jonathan Reis and John de Jong as well were included in Young PSV’s starting eleven. Goalkeeper Cássio Ramos, who joined PSV from the Brazilian club Grémio during the summer, made his debut for PSV. Zeefuik gave the hosts a 30th minute lead. After the break Jonathan scored a goal to double PSV’s advantage and Lee wrapped up the game, before substitute Marion Pereira Freire scored a consolation for the visitors.

5. Soccerretired

Soccerretired New Member

Jul 7, 2007
  6. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Boy, Lee sure didn't suck. he was involved in all 3 goals

7. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Wow can't believe PSV signed Cassio from the Brazil U-20 team. He did not impress me at all.

8. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Go Lee. If he plays well he might get some first team minutes!

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You must have been impressed by the wrong things.

Cassio is a very good young GK.

10. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
  11. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Koeman is clearly the devil

12. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Why because he is Brazilian? Did you see his positioning against Poland in the U-20's against the free kick goal? Absolutely terrible. Bobby McMahon made a note of his poor play at least three times throughout the tournament as well.

13. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005
    From the highlights it looks like he is still improving, so I am not sure a loan is absolutely necessary at this moment. It would be nice to see him playing on a team in a top 10 league in the world, but you also gotta remember Lee's a young guy still and he is at one of the best youth acadamies in Europe. I don't think either option could really hurt him at this point.

This really shows the pros and cons of going to a big club though. On the positive Lee's shown great improvement, but without a little luck it sounds like he's still a ways away from the first team.

14. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

I think if he cut the American out of his nationality and remained only Vietnamese, Koeman might take more of a liking to him. :D

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Poor positioning by a Brazilian goalkeeper?

Ever seen Félix?

At any rate, the kid is young, with excellent size (6'5"), hands and reflexes.

And, at 20, he's got a huge upside, which is how PSV likes them.

16. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Did PSV like him because of the U-20's?

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I am sure he was scouted considerably before and during the tournament.

As was Freddy Adu.

18. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

So when, where and why did you decide he was such a good goalkeeping prospect?

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    They already wanted him before the tourney, back as far as the winter IIRC.

20. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, it was Guus Hiddinck that picked up this kid. And Hiddinck loves to try out young new players (Park Ji Sung would have never gone to Europe, or even have been a Korean NT regular, if it weren't for this guy). Unfortunately for Nguyen, Hiddinck left the team immediately after signing him.

21. Soccerretired

Soccerretired New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Official team photo for the 2007-2008 season (PSV squad)
    http://english.psv.nl/web/show/id=58980/contentid=21481

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I watched Brazil at the U-20.

23. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

So wouldn't that go against the notion that you like to cite a lot from Arsene Wenger to not base your opinion of a player based on an international tournament?

24. Trabant

Trabant New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    No, our superscout, Piet De Visser(also in the video, the old man - forgive me:p- @3.03 Min) watched him play for the first time at the South American Youth Championships which were held in January.
    At the WC U20 he was pretty bad yes but De Visser does not scout on 1 or 2 games.

You must have noticed he didn't play to his ability's then.
    I personally think there are better young goalies at the moment in South America but PSV thinks Cassio will invest in himself and believes that he will develop into a good goalie who can replace Gomes in a few years.

So PSV searched for a young 2nd goalie(behind Gomes) with lots of potential who can learn from Gomes and who will be able to replace him when he leaves us for a club like Manchester United or Barcelona.
    Considering all of this, PSV made a decent choice in getting Cassio.

On-topic:
    At the moment I think Nguyen does not have the quality to become a first team PSV player in the future, he will be a decent Eredivisie player or backup at PSV but first team @ PSV is a level too high.
    I hope he will be loaned out to VVV or any Eredivisie club that wants him for his development. Who knows what will happen then.

25. kkmmtt

kkmmtt Member

Jun 2, 2005