Nguyen: PSV v NEC 08/25 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Clint Eastwood, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=226852&cc=5901

PSV takes on NEC Nijmegen on Saturday at the Philipsstadion.

PSV have a whole bunch of injuries. Jefferson Farfan and Edison Mendez are definitely out, while there are doubts over the availability of Ibrahim Afellay and Danko Lazovic.
    Another player who will miss out is Arouna Kone.

Quote from Koeman about their striker Kone:

``I don't know what's wrong with Arouna Kone,'' said Koeman. ``Last Monday they told me he was injured. Today he was in the hospital but the doctors did not find anything.

``And then he returned too late from a visit to Paris where his country Ivory Coast played. I am disappointed in the human being Kone. He will not play tomorrow.''

Perhaps Lee Nguyen has a chance to play today or at least get onto the squad. Hopefully some of our Dutch friends can update us regarding this possibility.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kone is going to be sold...

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  4. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Lee didn't even make the bench.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between the fates of Davies and Nguyen, Sesay definitely made the right choice.

6. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    That depends. Nguyen will probably make more money playing a year in PSV reserves than Sesay makes playing 5 years in MLS.

7. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

And then if he struggles to get PT like Robbie Rogers will he have made the right choice?

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I thought Nguyen was getting loaned to VVV Venlo.

9. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Rogers will be starting for the Crew today against Houston.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    so what? What matters is where he will ends up in his career. Making a little better money now does not mean a damn thing.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Well, I wouldn't say "not a damn thing" but the obvious reality is nobody will know for sure until it's too late. These days simply signing with MSL is no gaurentee of PT, nor is going abroad. For every Benny there's Lee for every Altadore there's a Grabavoy.

12. StrawberryShorthutch

Jul 26, 2007
    What about someone like Jovan Kirovski? While he did not develop into the player many thought or hoped, he did manage to pick up a Champions League medal and most likely made a fair chunk of change.. as little more than a reserve player.

13. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

That's what I am talking about. Thanks.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, because MLS is such a great jumping off point for the European riches compared to Eredivisie.

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    As SAF said to Cooper when he asked for his release from Manchester United (paraphrasing because I don't rememebr the exact quote): You can always play in America.

These guys should take the Euro money if it is available out of college or high school. If things don't work out in Europe they can always come home.

Look no further than Cooper as a shining example. And Holden. And Rogers. And Gibbs...

16. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Rogers on the bench once again. Where you get your info?

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    You should really try not to jerk that knee so hard. ;)

18. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Disptach had him as a projected starter yesterday and had an interview with him.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Last time I checked the Columbus Dispatch didn't pick the team. Would be a novel idea though.

20. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    somebody did, it was in two of their articles on the same day

21. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Please see previous reply as you don't seem to have grasped it. Unless you are suggesting that Shawn Mitchell is Sigis nom de plume then I wouldn't read too much into what the local rag says.

23. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn was awful accurate on his previous Crew Projected lineups but I learned something new-don't bet on him in Vegas.

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, exactly. No MLS player has ever gone to Euro riches. Well, ok, there's Stern John, and Brad Freidel, and Brian McBride, and Carlos Bocanegra, and Clint Dempsey, and Ryan Nelsen, and Tim Howard, and ...

Not to mention Jozy Altidore breaking the MLS transfer record this winter.

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It's pretty clear that there are three main outcomes for players that goes to Europe first.

a) the player makes it there. Spector, Gooch, Simek etc. MLS is nothing but an early-retirement plan for these guys.

b) the player struggles to catch on there so they go back to MLS and land on their feet. Cooper, Gibbs, Holden, Rogers etc.

c) The player fails in Europe and then fails to land in MLS. Philipakos would be in this category. But even in his case he was able to go back to Europe and play at a lower level.

For guys like Nguyen & Davies the jury is still out. They may make it at the level they are at or they may not. But if the past is any indication, they will be able to fall back on a career in MLS. Or a career at a lower level in Europe.

The only risk for a young player going to Europe is that they not be able to read the writing when it's on the wall.

I talked to Cooper about this. He said it was extremely hard for him to leave the club (ManUtd) that he grew up supporting but he saw the writing on the wall. He realized his chances there were slim there so he got out.