NFL impressed with Aussie Punters

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by westcoast929406, Sep 11, 2008.

1. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Ex AFL players are slowly making inroads into the NFL as punters.
    An interesting article below from the Wall Street Journal which covers the early history of foreign kickers in the NFL up to the current scene where the Australian influence will increase.
    Link --- Courtesy of worldfootynews.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121997626577982327.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

2. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Man, what a cush job. They have about 30 seconds of playing time per game. Gridiron is really pathetic in its specialization.

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Twasn't always so. Back in the day (when I was a kid), NFL coaches didn't want to use up a valuable roster spot for a player who only kicked the ball. Up until the early-1980's, punters and place-kickers also played positions. The expansion of the NFL roster from 40 players to 45 (and now, to 53) has allowed the "specialization", not only with kickers but with other position players as well.

4. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would love it so much more if they had 11 guys playing both sides of the ball and with the flow of rugby league. I don't know why the public started accepted the stoppages and player changes.

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Political commentator George Will once said of American football, "it combines the two worst aspects of modern society. It's violence punctuated by committee meetings."

6. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    making everyone play both sides of the ball would be great. also, give it a team 10 seconds to snap the ball from the time the ball is set

7. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    10 seconds is a bit short. In Canada their play clock is 20 seconds and it works fine. Think about it...extra man on the field, unlimited motion, and they can get a play in motion in 20 seconds.

NFL is for wussies.

8. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    you could do a play in 10 seconds, but I'll compromise at 15 :p

and the NFL is most definitely not for wussies

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    At least one NFL team is less than impressed with its Aussie punter. ESPN is reporting that the New York Jets have released former Geelong standout Ben Graham. Jets coach Mark Mangini in his weekly press conference yesterday said (On the inconsistency of P Ben Graham and the punt-cover unit...) "It's a situation we'll look at. We'll look at it very closely, then we'll move forward here, see where the different opportunities are and evaluate them."

10. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Well you cannot help bad luck- But players come and go in all sports- No big deal - It will not stop other ex AFL players from trying out in the future.
    At least he will not die wondering.

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yep...... gooooooonnnnnneeeeeee! :eek:

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/5021352/ben-graham-punted-new-york-jets

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Touching quote from NY Jets coach Eric Mangini:

"Releasing Ben was extremely difficult for me. It's always the most difficult part of this job," he said. "You develop relations with players over time. I have a strong memory of being in Australia, in a Geelong cow paddock, with Ben's girlfriend at the time who's now his wife, pouring rain, one football. It's amazing what he's done to this point, totally changing sports, having the success he's had. But I just thought at this point it was the best thing to make the change."

With the revolving door that seems to follow punters and place-kickers, I'd think Graham will be up for another job before long.

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most definitely.

Although some Geelong people will resent the "cow paddock" dig. :p

Benny's contract is guaranteed, isn't it? At least to some degree, right?

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Does the truth hurt? :D

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually referring to the people who live in Geelong... not suburbanites who barrack for the mighty Cats. :D

16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dude, you're not even in Geelong? I hope the Cats sucked when you adopted them.

17. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relatively speaking, yes... back in the '80s.

It was fate that I'd marry into a Geelong family, years later, by the way.

<<< a Melburnian, by way of San Jose. :)

18. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So you're from there but lived here for a while?

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm from San Jose, originally. Lived there for the better part of 35 years, and I've been in Australia continuously for almost seven years now (seven years this December). My wife and I have been married about that long, after I originally came over here to see her in mid-2000. (We met online, incidentally.)

My wife and her family are from Geelong -- and they all barrack for the Cats (except her brother, who's a Carlton man). I took on the Cats as my team in the mid-1980s, at around the same time Gary Ablett Sr. came over from Hawthorn. And we've been living in the Melbourne metro area for a majority of the time that we've been married.

So yes, I did claim them as my AFL team, even in the middle of that 44-year drought in between premiership flags. And have actually been to Kardinia Park many, many, many times. :)

20. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I wonder if workrate was the issue.

That was a constant criticism of Graham when he was at Geelong. A Geelong supporting friend of mine once said he doesn't have enough go in him. Or to use the line that David Schwarz once used (and got him in hot water) when describing Graham : His problem is he's built like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

He seemed to lack determination. As opposed to Sav Rocca who appears laid back but is very determined and Philadelphia couldn't be happier with him. All speculative of course but if true, with a lot of college kids coming through looking to take your spot, you'd have to think that that is an attitude you could ill afford to have.

21. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
  22. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    The practice squad punter, Waylon Prather, was a 4-year letterman at San Jose State so I'll back the Jets' punters, no matter who they are!

23. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Ben Graham is back in the NFL...and on his way to London. The New Orleans Saints signed Graham Monday. The Saints' next game is at Wembley Stadium against San Diego Chargers.

24. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
  25. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.