NFHS Rule Changes 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kit, Feb 26, 2019.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For once I agree with the high school changes more than what is supposed to be coming from IFAB.

I especially like the dropped ball change. It splits the difference from the two methodologies and allows keepers to still get an uncontested restart while not giving attackers a free kick for no good reason.

Kit repped this.
  2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Except the the GK exception is wholly unnecessary once you remove the old NFHS mandatory two participants rule from a DB. Has anyone ever had someone try to contest the DB when dropping it back to the keeper?

3. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Ah, yes... a short, indirect version of: "Hey captains, my Spidey-senses are tingling... if you want your team on the same page in regards to sending this game down the toilet, perhaps you should verify they all got the message - whatever that message might be."

Let their teammates prevent an unintended Luiz Adriano... yet avoid us getting tangled up in an intended version of it.

Geko repped this.
  4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Yes I have.

IASocFan and Geko repped this.
  5. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Yup, last time was end of Fall '18 season. Thus, all my drivel on the topic in this thread.

Injury, dropped ball near half line. Blue passes it back to White GK . Knucklehead in blue sprints after it, I'm caught flat-footed but get on my horse and pray he hears his teammates yelling at him... he pulled out of it maybe 3 yards from ball and another 5 to the GK. Whew!

Geko repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That's not a DB to the keeper. A knucklehead play, but a different context.

Were you able to manage the situation? I've never seen a situation where a GK had the ball when play stopped that a successful DB to the keeper did not occur. Maybe with the scope of players (and referees) in HS it makes sense to do the IFK, but I don't like it.

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to do the dropped ball and luckily the attacker was distracted by the people yelling at him to get away. Keeper grabbed it and we moved on.

The coach wanted to give me an earful for not telling the attacker to leave but that wasn’t surprising.

8. malackym

malackym Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Warren Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never had an issue with a DB to just the keeper in the PA in HS, everyone seem to expect it. I even tell my AR's in pregame that I'm going to do a drop ball if the keeper has it is his hands when I blow the whistle and not do a IFK, and if they have any objections they can rat me out with the state. :)

Mark.

9. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if I don’t like a rule, and especially if it’s a truly asinine one I tend to enforce it.

Biggest example I can think are tournaments that don’t allow added time. I strictly enforce it and then give the irate coaches the phone numbers of the tournament directors so they can complain to them.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say.

Geko repped this.
  10. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Whoops, I did misread it. So, make that: "no, never seriously contested"...

Had one approach just inside the PA well before the actual drop to GK... had 'that' grin on his face implying, "legally, I can contest this, right?"... down 4-0, not a highly-skilled game... His teammates quickly shamed their court jester into retreating, opponents just chuckled.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'm vaguely sure that I've done a DB back to the keeper more than once in HS games, but now I can't think why I would have done that. Maybe I didn't and just think I did because I've done it so many times in USSF matches. Or maybe I did because, well, braincramp on the IFK. Hmm.

12. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds like someone just got certified...

@fairplayforlife, I am much the same way. I haven't done a tournament with the no added time rule recently, but the common rule that I follow in South Texas youth games that gets me yelled at is substitutions on throw-ins. You may only sub on your own throw-in, even if the other team is subbing on their throw-in. My standard line is, "Hey, I don't like it either. I've stopped the game, why shouldn't you be allowed to sub? Unfortunately that's not what the rule says."

Geko and fairplayforlife repped this.
  13. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    With the way NFHS follows IFAB in rule changes, let's hope they don't adopt "leave the pitch at the closest point." NFHS spectators can be brutal, I'm told.

Kit and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  14. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    There is one tournament I did that had games at 8:00, 9:10, 10:20, etc. 30 minute halves. On the website and in printed documentation we are handed, it states if the teams aren't ready by game time, start your watch anyway. "Yell at the tournament director, sir."

15. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    Not at all! The player can lie to both questions or not answer at all.

The defense can plan according to their trust levels.

16. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason for the GK exception is because NFHS adopted the NCAA rule, which says all unusual stoppages including those for injuries are a DB unless the goalkeeper is in possession of the ball.

17. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Not happy with the five minute stop the clock for leading team substitution. I can count on one finger the times I felt a team was using subs as a tactic, and they quit the first time I stopped the clock.

Something else to keep up with that is a stupid result of how time is kept, and free substitution.

How many other hs rules become unnecessary if ref keeps time/ adds time, and subs are limited?

IASocFan repped this.
  18. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I did a game Friday that was 7-0 at HT and ended 9-0. Another game in our chapter was 17-0. The last thing anyone wants to do in a game like that is stop a clock for a sub.

19. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Fortunately, our state has a 2nd half "mercy" rule under which the clock never stops when goal differential is 6+. Might stop it for an extended length injury.

But I suspect I'm gonna miss a few watch stop/starts for winning team subs in the final 5' early on...

20. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    We have had coaches refuse to run clock in blow-outs because the rules don't allow for that. I guess they are afraid someone is going to challenge the outcome.

21. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a HS game, have you ever "forgotten" to stop the clock after each goal during a blowout? Just "forget" here as well. The only time that you can't "forget" is when there is a big stadium clock.

A couple years ago, I was officiating a game between a state ranked team and a school that was "rebuilding." The "rebuilding" team played all the games in a stadium with a big clock and scoreboard. Their coach came up to my partner and I before the game and asked if they had to put the score up on the scoreboard. Apparently, they lost to the state ranked team 12-0 earlier in the year. All of us asked the state ranked coach and he said that he didn't care if the score was up on the scoreboard. As the game began, there was an announcement that the scoreboard was "malfunctioning" and would not be used for the game.

IASocFan, MJ91, Geko and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since when? I "forgot" at 6-0 and 7-0 last Wednesday. After 7, one of the winning players and I had an interaction like this, "The clock." "What about it?" "It's running" "I know" "But we scored." "It is seven zero, get back on your half."

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  23. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the winning coach is smart, they just won't sub in the last 5 minutes anyway, and the rule will never come into play.

But a ref saying that they are going to blatantly disregard the rule because they don't like it is a major problem.

24. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Well the problem with that is gd is often relevant, and one top team winning 10-0 vs another who only won 8-0 with a running clock could easily be the difference when it comes to playoff time.

25. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With some of the stupid lawsuits floating around can you really blame them?

YoungRef87 repped this.