NFHS changes 2017-18

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kit, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cmonref and ptref repped this.
  3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I proposed some of these changes. I have no idea how much discussion was required, since I'm no longer on the committee. The challenge usually is explaining the reasons for the changes to the state administrators on the committee, who have little knowledge of the game.

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Interesting that they didn't pick up the softening of DOGSO in the PA. I would have thought NFHS would have been all over that.

5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. Remember NFHS used to say it was a red regardless of the goal was scored or not.

6. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #6 frankieboylampard, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    I'll be happy when the day comes where they just adopt the IFAB LoTG and just make there own "rules of competition"

RespectTheGame and tomek75 repped this.
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well yeah, there was that. :rolleyes:

8. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good times. I nearly gave my assignor a heart attack when I pointed that out to him.

9. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I await that day as well. Then we can argue about the passback properly for high school as well. :sneaky:

Kit and frankieboylampard repped this.
  10. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me. Anything that brings the different organizations close rot compliance with one another is good. It's a pain in the ass during the fall when I am reefing high school, college, and youth, and have to remember 3 different sets of rules/laws.

RespectTheGame and Kit repped this.
  11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I have four different sets of rules for track & field and do meets under all four. (the equivalent of FIFA has a different rule book than the equivalent of USSF.) I've instigated some changes to the NFHS rules that brought them closer to the IFAB Laws of the Game. But NFHS is never going to be just Laws of the Game. Washington (state of, not imperial headquarters on the Potomac) says that they use Laws of the Game, but then it's "except for......" that walks their games most of the way back to NFHS (e.g. sub opportunities). The NFHS philosophy is that these are high school rules that happen to be for the sport of soccer, which is just one of the NFHS sports for which they sell rule books.

12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I found the issue right there. Follow the money!

13. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Not surprised.

14. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the differences this one should actually be adopted by USSF in unlimited sub matches. It to me is counter productive to sub twice when - IF - both teams are up and ready to sub both should be able to. I am OK not doing corners but when both are ready, lets get them both on.

15. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of our unlimited sub leagues mirror the NFHS rules in this regard. I'm ok with it.

I'd also be ok with saying in any league that says it's not rec you have limited subs. Otherwise it's rec. I'm a hard ass though and I'm tired of watered down competitive leagues that charge and arm and a leg for glorified rec.

cmonref and camconcay repped this.
  16. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most high level competitive leagues are limited around here, Rec and select are still unlimited but restrict to team in possession on throw ins which is what I was referring to (Georgia ROC).

I agree with you WHOLE HEARTEDLY! We have at least three tiers of "competitive" with normal select having up to 5 tiers - most are money grabs. Athena and Classic past top level is pretty much rec when you factor out ECNL and DA as well as RPL play. Honestly past the top 3-4 teams in each top select (Classic I or Athena A) level you are at best glorified rec. and I am baffled at paying select fees for 3rd or 4th tier but as long as parents are lining up begging someone to take their money, I can't blame clubs for taking it.

Well - I could blame the clubs as they are somewhat dishonest in not stating outright anything past Athena A and Classic I (at best) is what it is - they still tout it as opportunity for their Mia/Messi to make it at least to college scholarship land and that just isn't so.

fairplayforlife repped this.
  17. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I'm surprised that that there are USSF affiliated youth leagues that still restrict substitutions more than the Laws of the Game. We got rid of all of that stuff in our state more than 25 years ago. Any dead ball with the referee's permission/acknowledgement.

18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they can sub an unlimited number and re enter at any stoppage. If so do you add 15 min to each half?!

19. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm echoing fairplay here but it's to prevent teams that have a one goal lead late from just continuously playing the ball out and calling for a sub. Adding gobs of time to the match often isn't practical to get the game in.

20. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - I am only for it it BOTH are up and ready and not for doing so on any stoppage - just the ones already OK (throw in, goal kick, kick off, injury, YC, RC)

21. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Disney tournaments are usually Fifa sub opportunities.

22. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Joke's on the Fed, I've been using radios for years.

cmonref and uws22 repped this.
  23. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Those "glorified rec" bottom tier travel leagues aren't total evil - they do serve the kids (like mine) that are not super athletes that just want to play lots of soccer (and around these parts continue to train in the winter months indoors). As a parent I happily doled out those fees for many years in an effort to prevent my kids form being shaped like their parents. :)

IASocFan repped this.
  24. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    No. Doesn't take that long. I know you were exaggerating to make a point, but 15 minutes would be, roughly, 30 subs per half, or one per minute. I haven't seen any coaches that even have that many opportunities to sub, much less try to make that many. And, in most games, it doesn't matter anyway. 6-0 and the winning team wants to sub late in the game? So what? It's so easy to calmly tell a losing coach that's complaining about the other guy subbing in a close game, "We're adding for it." I've never had a coach able to respond to that.

It's to the point that we don't often have problems even in our largest men's league where the league rule is zero time added, period, even for a major injury. All ya gotta do is one quick card for delaying the restart and people seem to get the message for the rest of the year, maybe longer. And, besides, especially in the adult leagues, if you're going to try to get an advantage by subbing a lot when you're ahead, you have to have a sub to come in! I always snicker when a player yells "sub!" towards his team's bench and nobody on the bench will make eye contact with him.

RefLI and cmonref repped this.
  25. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or there isn't anyone there to make eye contact, especially later in the season when 10 MAYBE 11 show up.

Law5 repped this.