Neymar

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Brazil_1500, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, until he produces the goods at the highest stage, consistently year after year, he's just another highly-touted prodigy. Seen them before over the past few decades, the "Next Pele," the "Next Maradonna," the "Next Cruyff." It's nothing new. You should know this by now. He isn't as good as CR7 or Messi because he hasn't had the challenges as Ronaldo has at his age yet.

Facts are facts. The Libertadores isn't the Champions League. And no matter how good you say the Brazilian League is, it doesn't compare to La Liga or The Premiere League in terms of pace and overall quality. When he goes to Europe, and does what CR7, Messi, Rooney, or any other highly touted player can do, then you can talk.

2. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No No, please let us keep Neymar in Brasil!!

Anyway, I seriously doubt Neymar will be moving anywhere before 2014. Can you believe it, Neymar earns 36 Million Reais equivalent to 22 USD Million dollars per year at Santos (includes advertisements), and he is developing just fine.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The gap between RM and Barca and the rest of La Liga is huge. Neymar plays with a team that is on the same level as most teams in Brazil. Ronaldo sure as Hell wouldn't be scoring a goal a game in Brazil. Guarantee you.

4. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. Brazilian league is a good league, but it doesn't compare to a top European league like La Liga, even with a gap in teams. I watch La Liga and watch Brazilian league when I can and even the casual fan is able to see the difference in overall quality between the leagues.

Again, he has to go to one of the top teams and compete with the best, while achieving what they're achieving, for you to honestly rank him with the best. This happens every few years: "The next big thing" appears and everybody goes nuts over him. But most just don't live up to the hype. Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, and many others have trophies and honors that back up their hype. Neymar doesn't, that's a fact.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What makes you say that?

If players like Nilmar, Kerrison, Fred, and El Loco Abreu can be on top, or close to the top of the goal scoring charts, why cant Ronaldo?

6. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL why people always come with the he has to move to europe comment to say neymar is not as good. He's already a regular in the brasil national team the best team in the history of the game so that along shows he is a great player.

European football is overrated as hell because of the few big teams that get lots of publicity. La liga is a two team league, italy is Inter and AC milan, juventus, napoli and that's it. Premier league is manchester city, united, chelsea, the rest of the teams arent as good. You can do that with every country and some leagues are only a one team league.

[]__[]

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Whether you believe the best players are in Europe or not, I think we can all agree, the standard of defending in South America, and Brazil is not nearly as good as in Europe. That tied in with the [relatively] slower pace of the game in Brazil and tatical set ups make for a totally different experience, that I think is necessary for all AMBITIOUS players.

8. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    While I understand people on here defending Neymar, and deservedly so, I don't understand the hate or lack of respect for CRonaldo. Dude is f'n phenomenal. He lit up the Premier League when he was a little older than Neymar, and IMO is a LOT closer to Messi than most think. If CR7 and Messi were on opposite teams the last 3 years, it would have been CR that would have 4 Balon d'Ors.

9. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree Santos' coach who said last week that Neymar is in the top 5. I think CR7 is indeed very close to Messi this season. However, last week, Messi reminded everyone that he is still the best player on this planet. In a couple of years, I think Neymar will be serious competion for CR7. If Brazil wins the world cup and Neymar does well, then Neymar will be inspired to dethrone Messi as well. However, dethroning Messi is going to very tough.
    It is amazing that Messi has already scored 50 goals for Barca this season when he might still have close to 20 games remaining in all competitions. That's simply insane! Will he end up scoring 70 to 80 goals? Wow!
    I have been very impressed with CR7 as he has become a less selfish player. Up until last week, he was the front runner for the Ballon D'Or but, Messi squashed everything for him with the five-goal performance. CR7 may still win the Ballon D'Or if Madrid wins La Liga and the ECL. However, if Messi ends up scoring 70 goals or more, CR7 can just forget it.

BTW, I am happy that Coutinho is regaining his form. He is a player who was just as talented as Neymar two years ago. Let's see how he does in the coming months.

10. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have you watched La Liga games? Defending there is pretty awful as well.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am just saying ... he wouldn't score 30+ in the league let alone 40. Those players you mentioned don't score 30 a season (not counting state competitions) in Brazil themselves.

Ronaldo and Messi do benefit from the unevenness in competition in La Liga.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Other than Barca and RM, defending in La Liga IMO is indeed not all that great. The standard of defending in EPL is typically better but I think this season is also not as good recent years.

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Still a little better than the Brasiliero.

If Ronaldo can scored 42 in England, and 50 in Spain [in all competitions], why cant he score 30+ in Brazil?

14. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Absolutely, right on the money.
    There is a sad misconception that just because the league is in Europe, the league is automatically superior to the Brasilian Serie A league. Bullshit.
    Just look at some of these Premiership teams currently in the top 10
    (and I am talking PREMIERSHIP which is considerably superior to La Liga):
    Newcastle, Sunderland, Everton, Stoke, Fulham, Swansea, Norwitch.
    ARE YOU ********ING KIDDING ME???
    Teams like Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Palmeiras, Internacional, Santos, Flamengo, Fluminense, Vasco, Gremio, (and I am sure a few others not mentined here) make the above teams look like a joke.

Oh and by the way, PELE never went to Europe. PELE did not have to go to Europe to proove he was the greatest of all time, just as Neymar does not have to play in Europe to proove he is in the top 5 in the world today.

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You must have never watched Swansea play then, or Newcastle. Do you actually watch these teams play, or are you just assuming they are rubbish, and not that good because of their name?

That was over 30 years ago when the best players actually did stay in their domestic league. Now the best players move to Europe.

To you, Neymar may not have to prove himself against the best players, best tactics, and best defenses in the world, but to the rest of the world and the realistic ones in Brazil, he will have to eventually move on, like all Brazilians eventually do.

16. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I won't compare The Brasileirao to the European Leagues, as it's pretty hard to truely gauge the differences. I do know that the euro-centric fans do not give the Campeonato NEARLY as much credit it deserves. But let's not forget Neymar didn't exactly light up the net last year. He only had 24 goals in 47 games. While CRonaldo had 53 in 54. I hope Neymar becomes as good as CRonaldo in a few years, but to make the comparison now is insane.

17. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, I watch all of these teams every weekend on Fox, as I like watching Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal/ Man City, and the teams I mentioned are a joke next to the top half teams of the Brasileirao Serie A.

Now the best players move to Europe because of one and only one thing:$$$$$. And sadly, Neymar will move to Europe after 2014 because as the Godfather says "I will make them an offer they can't refuse".

I am not so sure the Premiership/La Liga are "best Tactics", "best defenders" maybe (defenders like Dede a definate starter for the Brasilian national team are staying in Brasil), "best players", that is changing.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At the same age Ronaldo had 9 and 12 goals a season (all competitions) in 50 and 47 games. At 22 he had 23 goals.

And again ... La Liga is terribly lop sided towards Barca and Madrid.

Ronaldo's 42 goals in England was a one time occurrence. In the next season he scored 26 in all competitions. No way he scores 50 goals in England today ... even with the decrease in quality the league has seen in the last 2 years.

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Is La Liga that weak or are Madrid and Barca too strong? It kinda both. Also, the standard of defending nowadays is garbage.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    In his next season after the 42 goals, he missed the beginning third of the season through injury. Also, it was clear that he was leaving the club at the time, so he played a role that was less center towards his strength, and more centered towards a team game.

The season before the 42 goals he had 20 goals and 23 assist.

So at least 20 goals a season from the wing position is actually excellent. Would Neymar score as many goals if he was played as a winger in midfield?

21. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think that because C.Ronaldo was moving on, that he would put on the brakes; the opposite, he would want to prove his upcoming worth.

It is very hard to speculate what would Neymar do playing with teams and against teams in the Premiership/La Liga, but I can tell you that by all means Neymar would now score at least 20 goals in a season there, especially as a winger.. Neymar loves to attack from the side.

Having said that, Yes, C. Ronaldo is a fenomena today, and if he continues at this rate, will deserve FIFA's player of the year. Neymar at this stage is below C. Ronaldo for all of Ronaldo's accomplishments, but Neymar is definately on his way.
    Jesus, the guy is mobbed every where he goes, in any part of the world.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1/3rd of the season ?

42 goal season - 49 games - 06/07
    26 goal season - 53 games - 07/08

Yes ... I actually found the 20/23 season more impressive to be honest. Many of those 42 goals came from fortunate situations where the team put Ronaldo in great positions if I remember correctly. Although I can't deny there were some beauties.

About Neymar ... who knows ? I can't claim he will and you can't claim won't. He would definitely have to adapt. He is just turned 20. Ronaldo started blowing up at 21/22. All I am saying is that at 20, I find Neymar a better overall player than Ronaldo a 20.

23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He didnt put on the breaks, the management put a break on the system that most likely would have remained if he chose to stay.

But does he love to defend from the side? Will he chase a fullback back into his own half? Because Ronaldo did.

Having said that, Yes, C. Ronaldo is a fenomena today, and if he continues at this rate, will deserve FIFA's player of the year. Neymar at this stage is below C. Ronaldo for all of Ronaldo's accomplishments, but Neymar is definately on his way.
    Jesus, the guy is mobbed every where he goes, in any part of the world.

You have it wrong. The 42 goal seson was in 07/08. The year we won the CL.

My concern is, will Neymar do the dirty work that Ronaldo endured, playing on the wing position. Its not just about attacking.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OK ... you're right. But still it doesn't look like he missed 1/3rd of the season the year after his 42 goals. In fact he had more games.

25. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think this is true. I mean, if you want to compete in the highest level in club football, Europe's the place to play. If you're good and ambitious, you might want to try how far you can take your footballing career. That's why, for example, the big majority of the players in national squads of the teams that made it to the last 16 in the last World Cup played for Euro clubs.

But obviously money is a factor, no doubt. But claiming that it's the only factor that lures people to Europe is just not true.