Neymar no Sauditão! (from PSG to Al-Hilal)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Rana catesbeiana, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet Alves played like garbage into that game too:rolleyes:

2. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well a Brazilian first division team lost by more very recently :p

Great goal by Neymar against Atletico in his first big game with Barca. Great assist by Alves too.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The assist will erase all of that in the mind of most fans.....

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know it's early, but I do worry Neymar will get bored in the Barca system.

puertorricane repped this.
  5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How so? With the "excessive" passing? Did you even like the fact that he chose Barça, as a Seleção support? Did you think it was the best fit for him?

6. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think he breaks the pattern very nicely and he shows that he fits in instantly. Today's game with a ultra defensive Atletico it might look boring. But I don't believe anyone in a team that is having the ball most of time gets bored, it's more boring to be running after and waiting for a counter.

I'm more worried about his unnecessary yellow cards that he picks all the time. He will miss plenty of games if he continues with those challenges.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree about the yellow cards. How many yellows has it been already with Barca and all of this in limited action?

8. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well he got a yellow in the game against Levante. He played 27 min in that game. And about 30 today.

So 2 yellow cards in less than one hour of play.

The point is that he doesn't even need to take those fouls. Ok if he is stopping a counter or even if he comes in wrong into a challenge.

Today he just kicked someone that was defending the ball on the sideline after he already passed the ball away. That's just stupid.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He had the same issue at the Confed's Cup as well. Normally, he wasn't getting as many yellows for his fouls but rather for his dives or plays that were perceived as dives.

10. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We haven't seen a lot of diving yet. But it's rare to see someone get a yellow for it in Spain though.

He needs a bit of muscle, I'm not the talking about bulking up a lot as it will make him lose speed and versatility. And most of the players in Barca are not particularly strong, but they don't get shoved off the ball as easy as Neymar.

I've heard opinions about him not needing to change anything, I think Scolari said he was perfectly built or something like that and that doesn't need to change anything as he has been doing fine until now. I don't totally disagree, but watching him in a game like the one against Atletico I believe he needs to add some muscles.

When he gets a lot of space there is no problem, but against a team that defends with the whole it gets hard to use that speed. It's more small spaces and more body contact, it's often needed to protect the ball with the body and sometimes against 2 defenders. Something that all Barca players are really good at, also because they have a low center of gravity. In those situations he lost the ball a couple of times today and it made me think that it might become a bit of a problem for him during the year.

Not very worried about it though, as I believe he will both become stronger and get more used to playing against that type of opponents.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah with the quick passing. I think everyone knows it has the potential to inhibit the way he likes to play. Neymar has a good passing game but he is also individualistic. The way I see it is that if he is to succeed and keep his characteristics, he will have to excel in his individual game which includes plenty of dribbling. If he can't impose that part of his game efficiently and with frequency early on, I think his game will suffer. Ronaldinho was able to keep his characteristics (and even develop them) because he was extremely efficient at Barca.

I can't really say if he will be a definite great fit at Barca to be honest. But I can see he will really have to fight for that starting spot.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The 2 YCs, specially the Levante one, was ridiculous. I think if the game is called like that, he will learn what not to do. The ref today was also atrocious. The Fabregas studs up challenge, which could have seen a red, saw no card at all.

13. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree Celito. I think the style suits him fine and the team needs someone with individualistic skills like Neymar. It showed in the Athletic game. It's all about keeping that balance, but if Ronaldinho was able to do it Neymar can too. So far it doesn't seem like Tata or the team dislikes how his plays is with the team. He is still adapting, but it looks good. He will become a starter soon no questions asked.

Heavens forbid if Messi gets injured more this season...
    At least the team will play through him as a plan B if that happens.

14. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There style under Rijkaard was way different not even comparable.

15. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Interesting that all three goals came from a header

[​IMG]

16. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True there is more emphasis on passing and less space to operate. But the general style and philosophy still applied. We shall see what happens, but IMO I think over time he will get spoiled with this Barcelona system. Whether that's good or bad for the Selecao, I don't know.

17. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree with your general thought that "it's gonna go well in all likelihood for Neymar/Barca". That said, I disagree with the part I quoted. I mean, yep, too bad if Messi suffers long periods on injury, but if that happens, it doesn't mean Barca will play "through Neymar as plan B". I mean Messi on-pitch or not, Neymar is one attacker among the rest for Barca, not a "plan B". If anything, Messi's absence means Cesc to CF. Neymar is Neymar, not a "second-choice Messi".

18. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I love the confidence of Neymar waving of Xavi to take the free kick. But once again with each passing game is clear that he chose the wrong team and style that doesnt suit his talents.

[]__[]

19. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar had a good game once again. Had a couple of good chances to score.

I like that he is getting eased into the team.

20. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  21. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #121 Imperador3, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

He could have won 2 red cards on Malaga players today but the ref wasn't brave enough.

Some quotes after the game:

Martino: "Neymar? He already showed he's getting better than in previous games, could be getting closer to a starting spot."

Martino: "Neymar not reacting to Gamez' headbutt? Very good, we talk a lot with him, focus only on playing, he has a good example (Messi)."

Martino: "Neymar could start on Wednesday or next weekend."#fcblive

22. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only about three games where he didn't start or didn't even get the ball a lot. Let's save the comments till after the first season. Let's see how he does first. So far looks good for the amount of time he is out on the field.

23. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He did plenty during the short time he played:

24. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas