Next USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by worldfootballgenius, Feb 4, 2018.

1. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    We just had a coach that felt the need to play both, and ended up with the worst failure in US Soccer history. I guess your sense is that maybe a new coach would have new ideas, and would be able to use these guys to go from 5th place in the Hex to, what, 3rd?

Nope. With pretty much meaningless games until the next Hex begins, it is not really "just win" for the next two years. It's "find better players and create competition at every single spot (no guaranteed positions, even CP, pretty much the opposite of Arena's method)".

2. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am not personally suggesting that we play these veterans that most likely will not be able to contribute in 2022. But if our new coach opens up with say four Ls many will question his coaching ability and question why he did not use any veterans to balance the team out.

3. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Then that is a problem with the people questioning the coaching ability, and worried about four losses that mean zilch. I have no doubt the new coach will clean house, even more than Sarachan. If Sarachan brings up any of the T&T losers outside of a few of the ancillary pieces, I'll be happy to skip all five (six?) games.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I can't think of any example of a NT panicking after failing to qualify to the point that they never again played the guys who failed and went 100% for the kids.

Seems too melodramatic. People in sports are practical.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    A month back Pulisic was on my local sports radio promoting the ICC and regarding the NT talked about the young players (including himself) still having a lot to learn from the older guys going forward. Made me laugh when I thought how that statement would be received here. :p

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  6. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Pulisic was being diplomatic on that one. What does he have to learn from players who couldn't even draw Trinidad?

7. DumFatAmerican

Manchester United
    Germany
    Jul 27, 2018
    Bradley should still play a big role, he is an all time USA great and he is still our best pure midfielder, McKennie and Adams are more like bruisers. Remember the distance he covered during the 2014 World Cup? People overlook the work he does just like they do with Michael Carrick or Busquets. Bradley is not a 6 but he should be able to play that role behind Adams and McKennie, either him Trapp Roldan or Williams

8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's very crafty in his joggings.....he's like a whale that never stops moving so it seems that he covers a lot of ground but in the instances when he needs to be somewhere...he will be a few steps late.

keeping bradley around based on distance covered stats would be a colossal mistake and yet another example of why stats have yet to fully translate to soccer like they do in other sports.

manfromgallifrey91 and Paul Berry repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley has become a ball watcher. He loses the ball then stands around watching or jogs back slowly. There's been a huge gap between the midfield four and the back four at Toronto this season.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  10. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't know if he does have anything to learn from players that "couldn't even get a draw at Trinidad" ...even though he was one of them. But... he might have something to learn from US players who have actually played in a World Cup.

onefineesq and Papin repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .................:cautious:...........:coffee:..............Get to the root of it, Mandrake.

[​IMG]

Excellency repped this.
  12. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley has played his position differently based on what the coaches have asked of him. On-loan Bradley was unimpressive, but the Heerenveen version of Bradley put up 16 goals. Not too bad, and yet that version was very different from BM Bradley, who was to be a bit of a role model for Chievo Bradley.

Bradley plays his midfield role well when he's under a coach that defines clearly how he wants him to play it.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mike grew up with a coaching dad, a guy who likes some degree of micromanaging vis à vis his players (one of the reasons for the Swansea mockery). I can only imagine he's used to the coach telling him what he needs to do, cross the Ts and dot the Is for him. Some people are like that, nothing wrong with it --unless they got someone who expects them to do all their own thinking.

14. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you will, he was really good at one time. But he's lost a step and a half and at least some of the motivation/motor he once had.

Time to move on.

Three and Three repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not a starter any more, but if the alternatives are Danny Williams and Fredo Morales, I'd still keep a place on the bench for ol' Mike.

16. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know I really don't see a place for him beyond a rah-rah bench guy, and Im not sure that is his personality. He has lost a step, struggles with speed and turns it over way too much to play consistent minutes, and leaves the back four totally exposed no matter which midfield position he plays. I believe Id rather bring a young player in and let them be around the team then call in Bradley. Just not sure what he can offer anymore.

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I don’t think there’s any way that MB would be earning minutes in B1 or EPL.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    All leagues have their share of mediocre players, or players that are useful in small doses but only in a club situation, where they can be directed with all the patience of a child in a special ed classroom.

Wiliams and Morales are clearly, to me, examples of players that don't really belong where they are, but are kept because they're cheap and better than nothing. Bradley, for all his limitations, can have his uses.

19. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Mr. Moyes (or whoever else gets the head coach job) will have to settle it.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say DM is a weak point for us right now and we shouldn't play with a dedicated 6.

Duals 8's.

I'd actually give McKennie and Adams some good run based on current form.

And Bradley's jersey can be hung in the rafters of Sunil's dining room.

jjmack repped this.
  21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1037399849904287744 is not a valid tweet id

skim172 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Now what's the rationale with that?

onefineesq repped this.
  23. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Make sure all levels are under direct control from the top?

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Sarachan with the reigns, even temporarily, is practical in what way?

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Now our youth scouts can hide from Hispanics in one city as opposed to several. It's cost effective.