Next USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by worldfootballgenius, Feb 4, 2018.

1. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much expected that after Sarachan's contract was extended to the end of the year. Personally I think they are just waiting for the end of the MLS season

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

hackworth is terrible but so is tab ramos

also stewarts job description clearly doesn't include the youth teams and even when he was 'hired' they talked about him not being over the youth teams.

there isn't a power struggle...tab ramos was and still is callin gthe shots.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't he have come in prepared to hit the ground running? Sarachan has done a solid job when it comes to the responsibilities of an acting head coach, but he's not the competent, hands-on leader that we require throughout the year. His mind and time is elsewhere often times, and even if it weren't he's not at the caliber of macro and micro level strategist we should be expecting.

Earnie should have just arranged a verbal agreement w/ Marsch before he took over. Good fit and wanted the job. Then I think this window for our players professionally may have been handled better to set them up for the future and the stylistic transition have been smooth before Gold Cup. I don't want the new guy to just cycle back to vets come that comp and league of nations because the emphasis is on winning and they don't know how the prospects will fit w/out preparatory friendlies.

4. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Yes, Hackworth is terrible - but he's going to a USL head coaching job a day after Earnie started. That's just too fast a turnaround. Which is why I don't think Hackworth is the first casualty of a front office massacre. I think he saw the writing on the wall months ago and has been working to secure his next job for a while.

I also don't think Earnie is the type to just slash-and-burn on Day 1 of his reign. I think he'll make his changes steadily and methodically.

5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm...when exactly did Marsch say he wanted the USMNT HC job??? He's said verbatim for the past two seasons that he wanted to try his hand overseas at managing a club.

Patrick167 repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm...he said it in an interview upon accepting the assistant job w/ RB Leipzig, claiming it was a desire to coach the USNT but they didn't have any serious discussions about it.

Here's 1 off a quick search: https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...anager-rb-leipzig-tyler-adams-transfer-rumors

There are others where he was painted as even more bullish.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stating that he'd like to have that opportunity SOMEDAY is much different than stating that he wants that opportunity NOW:

“The national team wasn’t on the table,” Marsch said. “There was a lot of discussion about me as the national team coach, but that is more public discussion than actual discussion with the federation. I hope to someday be the manager for the U.S. national team. I think I’m still young. There’s still a lot for me to learn. I think this opportunity will help me grow and get better and ultimately prepare me for more jobs in the future.”

He was also on MLS Rewind a few weeks back and Twellman flat out asked him directly about coaching the USMNT. Marsch was very diplomatic in his answer, but it was clear that wanted to go abroad and try his hand at managing a club team in a top foreign league before possibly coaching the US team.

Patrick167 and Marko72 repped this.
  9. In a Dutch tv programm Louis van Gaal talked about an offer you cannot refuse he recently got. He said it was the perfect fit for him.
    But he decided not to take it as he had made a promise to his wife to stop coaching at 55, and she did tolerate it to be postponed. He was tempted to accept it, but the promise weighed in.
    He didnot mention what the offer was, but it seems to be the US job.

Tywin Lannister, skim172 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You teaser. :)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Not so much, as the promise to his wife weighed in very heavy.
    So it seems Earnie had the perfect offer for LvG, but his marital obligation prevented it.
    Edit: His wife already had swallowed a 10 year extention to his career.

12. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't think it was the US job. It's been pretty clear that the USSF has chosen to defer any formal decisions until Earnie Stewart arrived. At most, there might've been informal contact (although I doubt that too)

Back in June, Van Gaal was saying he'd been mulling over offers and had decided to accept one, and it'd be all revealed soon. This is probably the offer he was talking about - and, whether because of his wife or for another reason, he ended up not taking the job. And there's no way the USSF would've been making offers back in June.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was likely a club job with Eredivisie. Although he was rumored for some international jobs in Asia.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Postponed by 11 years? His wife is a saint.

LouisZ repped this.
  14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this is amazing....coach says he got an offer he can't refuse...it must be the us job because what job could a dutch man ever want more then the us job at this point lol.

15. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it was the US job or any national team job. Managing an national team, you would think, would not be nearly as time consuming as a club job. If the USSF offered LvG the job I don't see his wife saying no. They would be getting payed a lot to live in Southern California for a few years.

16. She's a very nice woman and from a very Feyenoord minded family. I worked with her, her brother and her father when I was young....looong time ago.

Suyuntuy and LouisZ repped this.
  17. People think it was the US job, because it's a build up challenge with a lot of young players coming through that probably are very much approachable for him. He's a genius for working with young players.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our next coach will come from MLS, they (USSF) is waiting for the season to be over.

skim172 repped this.
  19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    People? It started with u who are these other people? If it was true there would be stories out not just a single quote from him that doesn't mention the us. Everyone is s genius...until the arent.

20. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    That sounds like a reasonable bet. The USSF haven't hired an outsider candidate since 1995; they're guaranteed to go with someone with some existing American connection, and probably, they would prefer a current MLS coach (Berhalter, Vermes, Martino, etc). That would fit in with their lack of urgency, if their expected timetable is that their preferred candidates wouldn't be available until 2019 anyway. Bring Earnie on in August, give him the next few months to focus on selection, announce the hiring in December.

I think we all knew an MLS hire was most likely. That doesn't necessarily mean guys like Osorio - former MLS coaches who are currently free - aren't in consideration, but they won't rush to get him. The majority of their candidates will be MLS, and they won't make their decision before going through that pool even if Osorio is about to sign somewhere else.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarence Seedorf confirmed as Cameroon coach ... and will be assisted by Patrick Kluivert!

22. People in the Dutch forum who watched the show. Thought it was interesting for this thread to mention it.

skim172 repped this.
  23. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    It's a logical hypothesis. From a neutral perspective, the USA coaching job looks a pretty decent "second-tier" position. Lots of money, lots of advertising, solid fan support, a decent domestic league (compared to most countries not in Europe or South America). And there is a certain attraction - even glamour - associated with living rich in the United States. LVG doesn't have much chance of getting a really premier international job, so for a guy like him, the USA job looks like it might be a good fit ... from a neutral perspective.

But if you do know the USA MNT, then you know the USSF is unlikely to hire Van Gaal or any coach without existing American connections without much, much intense debate and delay. The last time the US MNT had a coach without a US citizenship or green card was 1991-1995, with Bora Milutinovic. Before him, you'd have to go back to 1974, when Dettmar Cramer took over the team for all of 2 games.

So I very much doubt they would've offered LVG without Earnie Stewart in office and without going back and forth on it for several months.

Then again, I'm very willing to be pleasantly surprised.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumored salaries

Gareth Southgate - $2.3 million
    Joachim Loew - $4.5 million
    Jurgen Klinsmann - $2.5 million USMNT basic
    Jose Mourinho - $20 million

If LvG is talking about money then I doubt it's a national team role.

25. LvG wasnot talking about money, but about the job itself that was very tempting, so it has to be a job with properties he liked so much he had to think about it. If it was a pure money thing his wife would be negative instantly. She wanted him to retire when he was 55, so money never was going to be the driving force.