Next USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by worldfootballgenius, Feb 4, 2018.

1. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen a thread of this here for USA men, but I'd love to discuss the next USMNT coach. Or atleast analyze what the shortlist looks like.

I myself am undecided as to who I want the next coach to be. I believe it's good to have an American Head Coach, as I believe with any national team, it's best to be run by a "domestic" if possible. With that being said, no American coach really stands out right now. If Jason Kreis does well with Orlando (MLS Cup, or Supporters Shield) I would make him front runner for the job. Not just because of success, but success TWICE, with two different clubs. That's a good sign of a proven successful coach. That leads me to Peter Vermes, he's had great success with Sporting Kansas City, but that's it, we haven't seen him in a different environment. That's my overall belief on all of them: Greg Berhalter, Jesse Marsch, Caleb Porter. I'd like to see them thrive in two different environments first.

American Shortlist (in my order or preferred):

Jason Kreis (if we does well with Orlando)
    Peter Vermes
    Gregg Berhalter
    Jesse Marsch
    Caleb Porter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Foreign MLS shortlist:

Oscar Pareja
    Tata Martino

I love Tata Martino, but he's a club coach who buys the players he needs, not sure how he'd do with American talent.

Oscar Pareja doesn't really like the American player with his style, so not sure if being the US Head Coach would suit him.
    -----------------------------------------
    Other:

Sam Allardyce has expressed interest. I think we can do worse. But not sure if he's just looking for a job, or if he's excited about the prospect of a "project".

David Wagner. Current prem coach, former US International. Great coach. He identifies as German however. Also, apparently he was asked if he'd be interested in the job, he said "No".
    -----------------------------
    Another thing is that maybe we're waiting til after the world cup?

Here are the WC coaches:

Stanislav Cherchesov (Russia)
    Juan Antonio Pizzi (Saudi Arabia)
    Shin Tae-yong (South Korea)
    Hernán Darío Gómez (Panama)
    Hervé Renard (Morocco)
    Vahid Halilhodžić (Japan)
    Bert van Marwijk (Australia)
    Gernot Rohr (Nigeria)
    Mladen Krstajić (Serbia)
    Carlos Queiroz (Iran)
    Aliou Cissé (Senegal)
    Héctor Cúper (Egypt)
    Nabil Maâloul (Tunisia)
    Janne Andersson (Sweden)
    Óscar Ramírez (Costa Rica)
    Heimir Hallgrímsson (Iceland)
    Åge Hareide (Denmark)
    Zlatko Dalić (Croatia)
    Óscar Tabárez (Uruguay)
    Juan Carlos Osorio (Mexico)
    José Pékerman (Colombia)
    Gareth Southgate (England)
    Vladimir Petković (Switzerland)
    Ricardo Gareca (Peru)
    Julen Lopetegui (Spain)
    Didier Deschamps (France)
    Adam Nawałka (Poland)
    Roberto Martínez (Belgium)
    Jorge Sampaoli (Argentina)
    Fernando Santos (Portugal)
    Tite (Brazil)
    Joachim Löw (Germany)

The ones I can see the US going after are (US Connections):
    Roberto Martínez (Belgium)
    Carlos Queiroz (Iran)
    Juan Carlos Osorio (Mexico)

Here are some "wildcard" candidates:

Jorge Sampaoli (Argentina)
    José Pékerman (Colombia)
    Bert van Marwijk (Australia)

Super Duper Distant:
    Joachim Löw (Germany) : "let's get the REAL guy behind Germany's revival."
    Héctor Cúper (Egypt) EXPERIENCE
    Juan Antonio Pizzi (Saudi Arabia) EXPERIENCE

-----------------------------------------

So after all this, the overall shortlist looks something like this:

-Usual American Suspects-
    Peter Vermes
    Gregg Berhalter
    Jesse Marsch
    Caleb Porter
    Jason Kreis

-Foreign MLS-
    Oscar Pareja
    Tata Martino

-World Cup Coaches with US Ties-
    Roberto Martínez
    Carlos Queiroz
    Juan Carlos Osorio

-Other-
    Sam Allardyce
    David Wagner

Maybe?
    Jorge Sampaoli
    José Pékerman
    Bert van Marwijk
    Joachim Löw

---------------------------------------------

If I had to hire our next coach tomorrow I'd probably go with Peter Vermes. If Jason Kreis does well with Orlando City this season and/or next, then I think he should be the US Coach, but that's still a year or two off atleast. I'm not crazy about any of the world cup coaches, or foreign MLS coaches, but I'd be interested in David Wagner, I think he's a great coach that does well with limited resources, which I think is great prep for the USMNT Head Coaching role.

What do you guys think? Who would you add to the shortlist? Who do you want to be the next coach?

Excape Goat and kennytt repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the chances of getting Joachim Low are essentially 0, there is no maybe. The man won't coach any other team than Germany. If you add his assistant coach time, he will have been involved with the German NT for 16 years by the time his contract expires in 2020.

add 2 more things, 1) he said before that he wants to go back to club football, as he wants to be involved with players every day vs every now and then. 2) a lot of top clubs in Europe are after him.

and the answer is there after he leaves German NT he's likely to go back to club football.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our last coach couldn't win a crucial do-or-die game on the road in October/November.

Solution: hire Peter Vermes!

[​IMG]

4. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't care if it's an American or not but do not want an MLS coach. The MLS game is slow and predictable.

Someone who knows the speed and tactics of international play would be choice. Someone not beholden to MLS experience. Someone who wants to find the best 30 or so players qualified to play for the US, regardless of age or experience or league affiliation. Someone who can lead and build a cohesive locker room. Someone who can change tactics based on personnel available. You know, someone like we haven't ever had.

Sadly, I doubt anyone other than the MLS coaches and maybe Osorio will even be interested in coaching the dysfunctional USMNT. Not optimistic that real change is coming soon. I'd love to see Wagner but little chance of that so give me Osorio

Guinho, kennytt, adam tash and 4 others repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I felt strongly that Tab should have been given a 3 contract with understanding he would develop the youth and move to the Olympic team at some point with a more permanent hire for USMNT (which would leave open the option of keeping Tab if he turned out to be very successful).

I think Vanney is the guy most likely to succeed from MLS. He showed an ability to change tactics and personnel to suit his best players / team chemistry. It took Berhalter years to figure out why Trapp was having bad seasons. Vanney would have figured it out in under a month. I think Vanney also has figured out that constantly looking for better players doesn't always work. Sometimes you have to figure out who stays and who comes to cover up the weaknesses of the players you picked.

Picking the current best xi will not work anymore for a player pool representing a country of 350m people. We need to find the current best teamwork.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    the problem with a foreign coach is that he will bow 100% to the power interests of the country that is hosting him. That might be ok in some countries but it will be fatal here in the USA under the present circumstances just as it was fatal in 2018 cycle.

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    just give the job fulltime to Sarachan.:devilish:

8. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear that too but there's plenty of arrogance in Europe wrt soccer in the US so maybe we'd get lucky on a guy who flipped the power interests the bird once hired and carried on with his vision for a full cycle without their intervention.

We're in a tight spot if we're expecting real change. I wish Williams was an option.

9. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Well, coach Nawalka of Poland has considerable US ties. He spent a few years in Chicago working as a roofer after ending his playing career in the late 80's.

worldfootballgenius repped this.
  10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone asked Wagner if he wanted to coach the US.

He didn't just say no, he started laughing uncontrollably.

The MNT is officially joke status right now and will be lucky if any serious coach decides to take the reins here.

My hopes for the MNT are basically zero at this point. I just can't see it getting better for decades.

Guinho and laxcoach repped this.
  11. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell no.

adam tash, SCSAutism and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's too bad. An energetic and committed coach will get the team back on track. Plus, there's a lot of exciting younger guys coming up.

13. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all well and good to have younger guys coming up, but if the leadership doesn't utilize them correctly or at all, nothing's going to change. In 5 years time, when the USA fails to qualify for Qatar, the program will be right back where it started.

Guinho and SCSAutism repped this.
  14. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The only way Pekerman would take the job is if he views it like a semi-retirement job. Sort of like what Jimmy Johnson did with the Miami dolphins in the NFL. He would probably just live in Miami and base most of the training camps there. Maybe even try to make the new proposed stadium for Beckham MLS the national stadium so he does not have to leave the area of his house much other than road games. I could see him trying to cultivate the young Hispanic players that some see as underrepresented in the pool.
    He would probably only sign a 4 year contract though so it would be a waste of everyone's time.

Seriously Osorio or Pareja would be my choices.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #16 Clint Eastwood, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    By the way..................I think Oscar Pareja is now an American citizen. Not 100% positive. I mean, he's been here since 1998. Whether he is or he isn't, he's been involved in MLS and USYNTs virtually non-stop for 20 years.

His son is an American citizen.......................Diego Pareja, who plays for the FCD U19 academy. A nice little player.

Pareja has talked openly about only leaving FCD for three jobs: The Colombian national team, USMNT, and Independiente Medellin.

1) Won trophies in MLS with one of the lowest payrolls. In other words, won more with less than other coaches. Kinda like the situation the USMNT faces.

2) Has shown a willingess and desire to work with young players. And he has a track record there whether its Kellyn Acosta, Jesse Gonzalez, Walker Zimmerman, Matt Hedges, and on and on. Looks like Reggie Cannon and Paxton Pomykal are going to get a lot more minutes this season. Pareja was a big influence on Weston McKennie. Not all coaches would want to be part of the re-construction of the USMNT with a young generation. I think Pareja would relish it.

3) Is bilingual. Don't tell me having a bilingual USMNT coach wouldn't help with youngsters like Jonathan Gonzalez and his family. Its not a requirement of the job, but should be something noted in the "plus" category for some of the candidates.

4) Has worked with the USSF in the past. Let's not forget he was an assistant to Wilmer Cabrera with the U17s in Bradenton.

5) Knows MLS and the player pool there inside and out. Also quite familiar with the game in this hemisphere in general.

I do think Oscar needs to regain a little of the magic that he lost last year in MLS after 3 highly successful previous years (with both Colorado and Dallas). His team tanked in the 2nd half of last season. But there's a lot to like about his particular candidacy if you ask me. The first, unlike the vast majority in that list, is that he would actually want and relish the job.

Guinho, VBCity72, Sactown Soccer and 4 others repped this.
  17. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

adam tash repped this.
  18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we not one of the better pressing teams in international soccer? I have not understood how pressing systems have been THE thing over the last 10 years or so and we have not really adopted it. I understand all those who have said we cannot be a possession, Barcelona style team because of our technical limitations, but our players would seem tailor made to implement an aggressive press requiring athleticism, fitness and teamwork sublimating the role of the individual, that is like our identity. So give me a competent coach that knows how to teach and implement a real cohesive press.

Regardless, I just want a real bona fide tactician that knows how to set a team up, how to make real tactical decisions based on opponents and situations and is essentially playing chess, not checkers. Our player pool, no matter what our opinion of them, deserves that much at least and I don't think they have been getting that with either of our recent choices.

I feel this would eliminate most every domestic option, but that is not because I believe in euro fairy dust, or hate MLS or anything. I would like some of our domestic coaching talent to be assistants under this unnamed tactical genius, so they can be exposed to new ideas, learn and grow and in so doing improve their chances of being a viable choice in the future and/or moving those ideas along to more domestic coaches.

I think it is fair to say we are not going to be attractive enough to land a real proven international or club manager in their prime like a Löw, so we are either looking at an older proven commodity on a retirement tour, like a Pekerman, Bielsa type, or an as yet undiscovered up and comer, like if we had brought in David Wagner instead of him going to Huddersfield. Seeing as no matter who is in charge of the coaching search I won't have a lot of faith in us unearthing the next diamond in the rough I guess I am thinking we end up a retirement type, which if handled correctly I would be fine with.

juveeer repped this.
  19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw in Hugo Perez as an assistant coach and/or takes Tad's place as a youth team coach and you get my vote.

6 ft. Leprechaun and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  20. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going to list some guys I think would be interested if asked, and would do a decent job. No personal preference on the list order

Andre Villas-Boas
    Pareja
    Berhalter
    Antonio Conte(he will be let go before EOS)
    Frank de Boer
    Van Gaal
    Roberto Martinez(Belgium probably retains through Euros unless they flame out early)
    Michael O'Neill(NI coach, had discussions with Scotland but fell through)
    Jose Mendilibar
    Eduardo Berrizo

Then I think they should really scout coaches who have helped promote teams and helped guide them into safety in top leagues.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wagner--knows how to get the most out of a limited squad. has some familiarity with US Soccer.

Cherundolo--excellent playing career. has been working as an assistant. will have his UEFA badges. appears to be interested:
    "he’d like to coach “in the German Bundesliga… in MLS, [or] who knows where some day, maybe some role in US soccer.”

Guillermo Barros Schelotto-- won MLS Cup. had expressed an interest in coaching in the US. is currently with Boca Juniors. was hired by a serie a club but had to give up the job because he couldn't get his UEFA badges in a timely fashion.

Eleven Bravo and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  23. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Teaching and implementing an effective pressing system isn't as easy for a NT due to limited time together.

He's not my number one choice and I'm not sure he's ready for the job at the moment, but someone to consider is Marc Dos Santos. He's won trophies/awards at multiple clubs at different levels. Speaks 4 languages and has challenged himself in different countries (Canada, US, Portugal, Brazil) at different positions (assistant coach, head coach, technical director) and acquired his UEFA "A" license. Pretty much everywhere he's been he leaves w/ a positive reputation and comes across as earnest and thoughtful in interviews. His biggest knock is he hasn't coached at the highest of levels though I don't necessarily hold that against him. He just signed on to be Bradleys assistant at LAFC but I think he's deserved a crack at a MLS HC job for a few years now.

24. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know anything about the guy so I just looked. Seems he's never been a head coach in any 1st division. Seriously doubt he's even remotely close to a reasonable candidate.

25. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    There's pretty much no chance that he's being considered for the job for that reason, he's more so a name to watch in the next 5 years.

KicksNgiggles repped this.