Next Season

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by JC Tottenham Hotspur, Aug 10, 2008.

1. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    April 18th is the first USL1 match of the season. The league is still finalizing the schedule, and I imagine we'll hear something soon.

2. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok thats a little better. :D

And that tirade was partially brought on by me just freaking out about my work/school stuff interfearing adversly. Lets just say that I'm going to be working my butt off the next couple of weeks or so to get a head start on school, so I wont have to worry about it, and I have all reayd talked to my manager about the up comming season and at length between our discussions, and the fact that we'ved hired several new people, it "should" work out. That doesn't stop me from streasing though.

And TwoMeters.

Yer a gramatical cock. ;)

3. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. Two words, "spell check".

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More specifically, if you're using FireFox, it helpfully underlines questionable words with red. IE probably has something similar, but I haven't noticed.

5. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok ENOUGH. Now to serious talk that doesn't envolve my spelling.

I heard a blurb at the end of the News 8 clip that we will be getting some Mexican league teams headed our way as well. Any rumors as to who and how many and weather or not it will be those SOB tigres with their burning phone books?

6. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd heard a rumor that there were going to be additional matches in late March and early April in the build up to the season, but do not know if that was the MLS matches announced yesterday, or if it was with a Mexican squad. I'm guessing that if we do get some exhibition matches with a Primera team, it would be Monterrey since we have the relationship with them. However, the Primera Division de Mexico will be in the middle of their "clausura" season (second as they split the seasons into two sections) come March. We'll see. It would be nice to get a Primera Division squad in, whoever they are, to bring in the crowds. I think the Tigres match last year far and away was the largest crowd we had with about 4500 attendees (vs. the normal average of about 2000).

7. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: $30 is not cheaper than $20, no matter how you slice it. You can get tickets for as low as $15 if you buy them straight from the Dynamo rather than TM or a local store. The game against Pumas for CCL was $10 and Firpo was $5. But hey, I'll be there anyways. That's just two less shots on 6th than I had originally planned though.:D

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was afraid the parenthetical might confuse some dumb Houston fans.;)

Here, without the parentheses:

$30 is cheaper than ($20 + gas + maybe staying overnight).

In other words, for us here in Austin, spending $30 to see this game is cheaper than going to Houston to watch the Dynamo.

And the $30 price is for the center circle seats. There are also $20 seats. So you can have another shot on 6th.

9. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen chief, there's no need to condescend. I understood perfectly fine what you were saying in parentheses. Which is why I said "any way you slice it". There's no need for you to come to Houston for a Dynamo game unless you really want to, that would be on you. I really don't see how you believe what you're stating is logical. If the Dynamo started charging $50 I could say, "Well it's cheaper than renting a car, driving to DC, and staying in a hotel." But what does that situation have anything to do with the price of a local ticket? It doesn't, it's a fallacious argument that doesn't deal with the subject at hand. I don't think I came on here being an ass hole, so why you felt the need to be one is beyond me. But it seems that like Dallas, some of you are going to make it easy to hate your team when there's really no need to.

10. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Mikey,

The prices ($18-22 for reg season) seem pretty high to me too. You are really good resource on USL information. Are the $8 tickets for the Battery on the low end of USL-1 pricing or about average? I'd hate to think the only thing we will lead the USL-1 in is ticket prices.

But I will say this, I never thought people would come out in numbers to pay for last years amatuer team, but they did pretty well.

11. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those prices struck me as a bit high, too. But as you mention, so did some of the prices last year. The Tigres exhibition especially ($30 - $35; even kids were $20) seemed like terribly high prices to me... until that match was practically sold out, with some 4,500+ attendance.

So I'll give the team the benefit of the doubt on setting prices. Of course, as fans we don't want to pay more than we have to. But we also want the whole venture be a solid financial success, too.

Just think of it as a down-payment on the soccer-specific stadium we'll be building in a couple years! :D

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wink usually suggests teasing. Sorry you didn't get that.

13. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude relax! Stop being so uptight! It's just a friendly Texas banter.

[​IMG]

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poking around on the Vancouver boards, I noticed comments about their ticket prices. Now I don't feel so bad about ours. Montreal, not too surprisingly, is way more expensive (they have their own stadium, and are selling it out). Cleveland -- $90. Unbelievably cheap.

It's making me feel a little better about the pricing. Plus that point about how expensive the tickets were for the Tigres match... and 4500 people came. I'm close to deciding that Phil & Co. always know what they're doing, and deciding to stop worrying.

But I'm not there yet:)

15. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnvSQuv-H4"]YouTube - Bobby Mcferrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy[/ame] :D

16. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the Aztex ever announce who the kit sponsor is supposed to be for next year?

17. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get personal on any of my banter.

18. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that particular image is either - it's just the easiest album cover to find about chillin'. For the sake of bipartisanship then:

[​IMG]

19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to your comment, but rather being called a "dumb houston fan" and having my intelligence insulted.

20. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Gotcha, right right.

Well, let's look at the facts:

A) you live in a giant swamp
    B) you have ample opportunity to move to the greatest city in the State (Austin) yet don't
    C) you support the Dynamo over the Houston Leones... wait, that's actually not an indictment of your intelligence
    D) you support the Dynamo over the Aztex, or even over the slightly better attired FC Dallas (right color stripes, wrong orientation)
    E) you come to our forum and respond touchily to some friendly jibes

So to this point I've not seen a true ad hominem, but I'll go ahead and call the ball on my own.

You and your dayglo-wearing-swamp-dwelling brethren can now, officially, consider your intelligence insulted.

That being said, please let us know if there are any groups of you coming up for the game. We'll all go out and have a few beers.

21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: REP For you Blackburn. Way ta lay it down.

And as I told one of the Naranja I hope this rivalry is more friendly then harmfull.

22. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay classy Austin...

23. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. I'll be first line to root against the Dynamo any day of the week (go Atlante in the CCL!), but that wasn't too neighborly for a fellow fan. :(

And if by chance the Aztex partner with the Dynamo someday (and this exhibition hints at them more than FCD), we may need some Crow Helper around here... ;)

24. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    u said it Two.

25. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reality is the Dynamo have been phenomenally helpful with the Aztex last year. I met the head of Marketing and someone from Operations after a match at the pub (thus, why I can't remember their names), as they were up checking out the game day operations providing feedback to Phil & Co. I also know the Dynamo host Phil in Houston for a couple of matches to provide insight on operations in US soccer on game day.

So personally, I appreciate all the help that Houston provided from an organization, and believe (until proven otherwise) that the same can be said of their fans. Amazingly, compared to the latest EPL Manager banter, the cooperation here among clubs has been inspiring (at least, up until the opening whistle).

From a Supporters Group stance, I know that I look forward to seeing the same relationship amongst the various club supporters groups. Mickey from the Charleston Battery has been very helpful on advice, and will enjoy getting together with any other visiting supporters. I'll even go so far to say that as visiting supporters from other clubs come to Austin, you'll always be welcome at our pre- and post-match "bevvie" sessions. We'll post them here, as well as at the Army's website (www.chanticosarmy.com). At least in the pub we can see the smirk on each others faces when we take the stick out of each other (metaphorical, not literal).