Next NT Captain

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BlueCrimson, Jul 9, 2015.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not really that big a deal, but if both Rampone and Abby decide to retire before the Olympics, who do you want to see become the next captain?

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Who was wearing the captain's band when they weren't in?

Semblance17 and jackiesdad repped this.
  3. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Duh. Didn't you see the handoff of it back to Wambach when she came on in the final? Who handed it to her?

Lloyd will be the captain until she retires.

After that, if she continues to improve, I predict Johnston will be the next captain.

Semblance17 repped this.
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I was wondering who else saw it.

Speaking of Johnston, here's a fun quiz.

What does her own goal have in common with all the other own goals USWNT players have committed in World cups?

5. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    All right, I am taking the bait.

However, I am trying to recall other own goals by USWNT players and only one readily comes to mind (Chastain against Germany in 1999). Based on what I know about that one, I will say the USWNT scored again after each own goal and won each game in which they conceded an own goal.

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    The obvious answer here is Carli. The more interesting question will be who will be the co captain with Carli? I'm guessing either Solo or Sauerbrunn. When that generation is gone, it'll start getting interesting

Semblance17 repped this.
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. They were all scored by Santa Clara grads- Chastain in 99, Osborne in 07, and Johnston in 15.

8. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    After this WC I thought to myself, which US player would likely start on every single top 10 team. It won't be the forwards since they're either old, injury prone and just not scoring a lot of goals. Teams like France and Germany pride themselves on their midfield play, so even someone like Lloyd would have a hard time being integrated into their system. Solo is great, but some teams may pass based on her off-field antics........which leaves us with the defense. JJ has the potential, but may need a little more seasoning for some teams. Krieger lacks a bit of offensive skill, and Klingenberg is still making a name for herself. The only player I see being slotted into every single starting top 10 line-up, is Becky Sauerbrun. Hence, why I think she should be captain. :)

Semblance17 repped this.
  9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're so gonna use that against Santa Clara in recruiting :mad:

(Santa Clara responds: Our grads play in WWCs -- that is all --)

Semblance17 repped this.
  10. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Was Osbourne in the Brazil game?

11. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Sauerbrunn was extraordinary this WWC. If she had started in the 2011 final we might have been looking to repeat this tournament. She and Johnston were the key to the USA getting to the point where Lloyd took over. On playing merit and temperament, she is a worthy choice.

But, she's 30. Lloyd will be the captain until 2019. Sauerbrunn will be 34 then. Johnston will be 27. So, based on that, again, ask yourself, who's going to be the captain if Lloyd's last WWC is '19?

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, she was. I've had that fiasco of a game burned into my head ever since it happened. Brazil took a corner kick and Osborne attempted to clear it, but inadvertently headed it past Scurry into the goal.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With France's inablilty to finish in big games, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to play someone who is known for that particular skill.

14. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    No doubt, but I'm basing my decision on every top 10 team. I'm sure there are some teams that would trade their first born for Solo. :)

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

No, there was a third own goal against Brasil, and we lost that match.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Bingo.

17. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I agree with much of this. Except that leadership capabilities and talent, while not mutually exclusive, are not the same thing. It also comes down to personality and experience. Becky may have all those traits necessary to be a good captain. But team captains are not necessarily always going to be your best or most valuable player.

Semblance17 repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I like having ur center back be captain because they have a better perspective on matches then anyone on offense. I do think it would be Lloyd however and Im ok with that. I was again struck during the post match presser that she was the voice of reason for the team thruout the WC and an excellent spokesperson.

Semblance17 and Dundalk24 repped this.
  19. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be opposed to having the Captain's Band permanently tattooed to Carli Lloyd's left bicep.

20. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    In my opinion your captian should be steady, smart and present. Becky Sauerbrunn is the player who best fits this bill on the current roster. She is level headed, rarely makes a mistake, can see the whole field from her position, is intelligent, and plays every minute.

Argument can be made for Lloyd too, and she's riding on cloud nine right now. She's the star of the moment. But let us remember she is quite streaky and has a moody/reckless side to her game. Becky has more of a captain's temperament.

Julie Johnston for captain in 2023. ;)

Semblance17 repped this.
  21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one thought Lisa De Vanna would be a good captain, and yet it seems to have had a very positive effect on her.

22. Lola92

Lola92 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Carli Lloyd is probably going to be Captain, but I think Becky would be a great Captain as well.

Semblance17 repped this.
  23. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Traitors! It's a conspiracy!

BlueCrimson and Semblance17 repped this.
  24. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morgan Brian might be a good captain. But whomever is chosen, it depends who sets the tone on the practice field, the game pitch, and in the locker room.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, if u went with Morgan Brian or Alex Morgan u might get sweet Captain Morgan sponsorship deal. :)