Next Man Up - Arsenal Manager thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting, we are putting together a much more physical squad

Tierney looks like a monster at FB to complement Bellerin

Douzy is a monster as is LT. Willock has a lot of energy

Auba can get about but admittedly is not so good at pressing. Ozil is at least quickish and has ok defensive numbers. Pepe should be full of running.

The players who don't really suit a pressing style would be Xhaka and the two CBs

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we don't defend well enough to have a defend and counter approach, and attempts to install a functioning press at Arsenal throughout the years have been defensively flawed.

The press that Wenger installed was fine, even good. But once the press got bypassed, things got really ugly.

Shen-O repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm not ready to give up on Pepe yet. His dribbling skills, and stats, are similar to Zaha's and many on this thread have been clamoring for a good dribbler forever. His key passes per 90 for Arsenal this season are second, only to Ozil and he has shown himself to be a dangerous free kick taker and excellent pk taker. Adapting to the EPL can take time. Assuming he corrects whatever training ground issues that Ljungberg identified he may still justify the fee.

Shen-O and AEAAFC96 repped this.
  4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I accept all of these points (although ranking key passes on this team seems like a pretty low bar). My point is that spending 70m on either him or Zaha in the summer was and is a bad use of money. The variance between him and other players on our squad at his position is much lower than the CB you could've gotten for that money and the rest of our defenders. If you're trying to get the optimal ROI for your money with a squad that has problems in multiple places, spending 70m on a winger when you have many young wide players coming up is not the right call.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus Pulisic was about 12 GBP less than Pepe. Nothing against the guy but we overpaid for someone who's probably a good squad player.

Super Llama repped this.
  6. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Right, wide attacker is probably the most flush position in world football, it's relatively easy to find somebody good for a decent price.

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is depressing. Pulisic's numbers this season are comparable to Raheem Sterling.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed and I suspect that is why Wenger dithered over it for years per usual.

13 or 14 league goals is barely Giroud level

Super Llama repped this.
  9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the dithering that killed us. If we'd paid for him 2 years earlier that's 2 more years of a useful player in the squad. Lacazette is a good player and is a different flavor of forward than PEA but, yet again, he doesn't fit here.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    bit of a difference between their ability though

plus teams are more open vs Chelsea

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe. Pulisic is a lot younger though.

Super Llama repped this.
  12. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the stadium won't open until Summer 2020 at best.

Sooner or later I reckon Kroenke's going to feel the pinch of a multi-billion dollar cost overrun.

13. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez' attack was basically a slower version of Wenger's philosophy.

I...wouldn't want him at all. Belgium has a conveyor belt of talent that he didn't have to pay one Euro for; different story to get the same effect at Arsenal.

14. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I wanna see how consistent Leicester is before one even considers asking him to take a big job again.

15. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh, as excited as I was getting Pepe, I still had doubts as to why Arsenal didn't spend that money on a first team defender instead. Then again it sounded like they were getting ready to spend big but didn't have enough time to put the deal together (?).

Not even sure that, even if they overspend, they'll get a quality defender in January.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this post while I was listening to Arsecast saying that Pepe was considered primarily a counterattacking asset at Lille.

17. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense. His biggest asset is getting the ball from around midfield to near the box.

Super Llama repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, which might be why we bought one of those instead of a top-class CB.

TBF they must've thought they were getting just that in Luiz. But I never bought into that assessment.

Also we have to remember that Kos dumped us well into the summer, which definitely put us behind the eight ball, in replacing a hard-to-find position.

And Holding was wrapping up a major injury/layoff.

That said, I'm not really defending them because I think it's clearly negligent how we've staffed our central defense in the last 2 years or so.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I mean, I get the thinking: Lacazette, Aubameyang, and Ozil aren't exactly young anymore, and we do need to plan for the future. And Pepe did put up some great numbers at Lille. But. There's always a but.

Pepe looks incredibly one-footed and looks like he can't play anywhere except on the right wing. So basically, we signed a great dribbler with a decent final ball who can only play one position, and that in a formation (4-3-3) that doesn't fit our midfield. Plus, we sold the one player in the team (Iwobi) who can play on the opposite wing in a 4-4-3.

And we overpaid for Pepe by 15m, and probably sold Iwobi for too little (as low as 30 million by some estimates). So we paid 40m to replace Iwobi with Pepe. Not great Bob.

Fifty, DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Allegedly a twelve person shortlist. Twelve!

21. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but 9 of them are people who wouldn’t touch this job with a barge pole.

22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who's on the list? I've seen Rodgers, Arteta, and Pochettino named, but that's it.

23. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know I was just making a joke (that will probably turn out to be close to reality).

I have read talk of Viera (again) and Allegri (again).

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love the idea of vieira but how do his teams play? I don’t want Allegri, he’s too defensive

25. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anything about Vieira that makes people want him to manage other than the fact he's Patrick Vieira?

Super Llama repped this.