Next Man Up - Arsenal Manager thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No one said Freddie is the next Sacchi.

There is no reason to call him a fraud. This is an impossible situation.

2. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    So is it official? When is the announcement? When can he get his team of assistants in there? How much control over the squad and transfers does he get? What is his coaching philosophy? Having never managed any side before what makes him believe he can manage just a big name club in our darkest hours? So many questions...

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Negotiating a fee today, said to be 7 figure

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Barca youth, Wenger & Pep influence and below is an interview from 2015 to give a little more insight...

Serengeti_Boy, Walia Ibex and NorthBank repped this.
  5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to Arteta, I am seeing some rumors that we are looking at revamping our youth setup. Supposedly in advanced negotiations with ManC's Sam Fagbemi (In charge of City's youth recruitment strategy) and Wolves Phil Antwi (Sr Academy Scout).

Super Llama repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for those interview quotes. Those are very insightful and he says a bunch of "the right things". But they are from 4 years ago, just before he became an assistant coach to Pep. It would be even more interesting to see what his answers would be in 2019.

Anyway, if this is where we're heading, and I'm more than willing to give him my full support, can we please. get. on. with. it? :whistling:

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing rumor that Arsenal and Arteta have agreed a 3.5 yr deal and he will be on the pitch as manager for the Everton match this Saturday.

AEAAFC96, Walia Ibex and NorthBank repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #408 NorthBank, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    +1

And cue NBC to rearrange their TV schedule to get this soap opera on live TV. ;) I believe we were supposed to be relegated to Gold this weekend, no?

Edit: No, I'm off the mark again. Looks like we're in the Saturday 7:30am ET slot, which would always have been on NBCSN. Not sure what's up with me and my posts tonight. :oops:

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Unless he is announced tomorrow morning, English time, I don’t see how Arteta manages on Saturday.

yossarian repped this.
  10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    The only nickname I see for Freddie if he doesn't win another game before we bring in someone else, would be calling him Oneberg.

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Handbrake Off podcast:

According to Ornstein, Arteta is definitely the front runner, but Vieira is strongly in contention

Freddie was a bought into the first team setup with the idea that he could hold the fort if things went wrong with Emery - sort of like an insurance policy

Freddie has now failed but still held in very high regard because of the way he has conducted himself

What will happen to Freddie if Arteta comes in? Maybe out of a job? Will he go elsewhere?

Freddie was supposed to be building an interim team after norwich but then club didn't provide him with any staff. He has now called them out on it.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This from arseblog is what i find incomprehensible on Freddie

I agree the guy is a good communicator and lots of the issues are not his fault. But he was given the shot of a lifetime with the lowest possible bar and couldn't shift the needle at all. Surely there exists the possibility that one reason Arsenal are rubbish is that our management team beyond Emery consisted of people like Freddie who are not very good? This is why it also baffles me that so many people want Vieria

The process feels like jobs for the boys

Shen-O and Super Llama repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of that seems quite intuitive to me. EXCEPT that I don't quite see why Viera is "strongly in contention".

Arteta is a gamble with quite a bit of upside potential. Because he's never really done it before

Viera is a gamble with very questionable upside potential. Because he's had several years as a head coach and has been pretty mediocre, especially his last 2 years in France.

Totally agree. It almost seems like fan-boy Josh is hell-bent on bringing back a legendary player/captain to be our HC. Thankfully he seems to have given up (for now anyway) on considering TH14 whose first HC job at a major club ended in quick failure.

I've never been a huge proponent of MA8 because of the inherent risk, but if the choice is a binary one between him and PV4, I would choose Mikel.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My guesses on Vieira

1. Big short term upside/feel good factor

2. Cheap to get him

3. Politics

15. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #415 MisplacedSpainard, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019

I don't agree with the expectations for Freddie in the least.

Freddie imo was put forth by the club to hold the paddles on this lifeboat until they made a decision and nothing more. Hence all the clarity from Freddie on the situation and his resources. This team was/is in a terrible way due to poor coaching/direction from a competent manager without a functional style.

You cannot judge him on the basis that other managers are weighed on because he had no resources to make any changes.

Freddie did what he could in arguably the hardest position of all top football atm with a club that can't make the most simple administrative decisions. With some of the most demanding fans in the world.

Dude is class and if anything has shown me more why one day he will get his chance and will do well if properly supported somewhere. I hope he is allowed to stay on and help Arteta in some capacity.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #416 NorthBank, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Just listening to ArsenalVision podcast and they referred to Mikel as "Panini Pep".

Immediately a new nickname popped into my head...

"Pepini"

For me that encapsulates how we see Arteta and without being particularly derogatory. ;)

Edit: Subsequently I did some googling and found no hits for "pepini". Only a few for "pepito". Hmm...

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Pro V Pepini is official :ROFLMAO:

NorthBank repped this.
  18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  19. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One year and a half later, we got our Captain Black! He's who I wanted when we went through this process in 2018, but I'm glad he got another year of experience with Pep because he's gonna need it to deal with this club's bullshit. Anyways this calls for an avi change.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Pro V Pepini Fraudiola!

I for one and so on this train

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Honestly, it’s probably better for him now than 18 months ago.

18 months ago he would have been expected to resurrect a side thatS cratering and not in his image. Now he can create a new team in his identity.

daedalus and GunnerJacket repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not a done deal. The latest news reports says they're in final stages of negotiations, and hope to announce within 48hrs. Not enough time to take the reigns for this weekend, but enough time to sit in the stands and watch Ljungberg struggle to get a result... likely.

23. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why there were any expectations of Freddie right now. The team is composed of an excellent striker, an excellent goalkeeper, and unreliable mishmash inbetween. There's a reason that nobody wants to buy any of our other players - they're not Champions League caliber talents.

I think our midfield sucks. Each of the options we have is the third piece of a three man midfield. There's nobody that can attack and defend, read the game, or control tempo. Nobody can both dribble forward and pass forward. It's a bunch of one-dimensional guys. LT is solid, Xhaka is a mess, and Guendouzi is an incomplete player right now.

Fifty, spot and Walia Ibex repped this.
  24. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    The narrative is so funny to me. When we were bad under Emery, no one blamed emery’s coaches. It was his tactics and lineup. Now that Emery is gone and we still are bad (although I think we are better), it’s because Freddie doesn’t have any coaches!?

These are professionals that have been playing footy since they were toddlers. They surely can go a few games without someone to kick a ball to them and tell them to Sprint harder or whatever.

The central defenders are bad, we have no fullbacks to play a formation which complements our attack, our highest paid and most senior midfielders have pretty much checked out leaving 19-21 year olds to go against MEN in the middle.

For those who are in doubt, the season is a total write off (we ain’t winning the EL either) so let’s not worry too much about the few games in between permanent coaches. Let’s take the time and think long term here.

Speaking of. To those who think arteta is low risk since we have nothing to lose—let’s do the math on that. Say we have to pay city 7m to get him. And then he’s on a 3.5 year contract. If he does the same as Emery, we will be on the hook for another 2 years to pay him off. That’s probably another 8-10m and a couple more for his staff I’d guess. So potential risk of 15-20m, plus whatever damage he does in his tenure.

Putting that kind of £ at risk for a guy with no experience seems like a pretty heavy bet to me. I’d just assume give Freddy a two year deal to do the best he can. Let Edu and Raul work on the personnel situation—getting rid of ozil, mustafi, chambers, Lola, xhaka; getting in some quality defenders, and dealing with the Auba and laca contracts.

If Freddy shows promise, then extend him. If not, move for a dynamic young coach with some experience.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hearing that City's management is pissed off, not only because we may poach Pep's chief and trusted assistant, but because Arsenal mgmt have supposedly not even reached out to them yet. Although that's probably not the first time a buying club would act this way, but is it smart? Could it come back to haunt us? If they start playing hardball from an angry point of view?