Next Man Up - Arsenal Manager thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some discussion on the Measuring Success - The Arsenal (Emery) Barometer thread but figured it deserved it's own.

The general consensus seems to be that Emery won't last beyond this season. Assuming that is true, who do you want as manager and why. Let's see the candidates...

2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Didn’t we all know there would be some growing pains with Emery? Was the expectation that we would be a legit contender for top of the table by his second season?

All teams go through some sort of rough patch.

I just don’t want the team to turn into a revolving door for managers like so many other teams.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 NorthBank, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Yeah, I hear ya.

It's a little sad to see what used to be a "model club" now become just one of the the hundreds or thousands of teams who switch coaches every few years. And whose fans regularly berate their coach (not to mention their captain) and call for his head. And who finish well off the pace for actual titles or trophies.

That's just the way it works in modern professional football we're told. But that's only partly true. There is still some hope for managerial stability.

The bestest of the best do seem to hold on to their coaches for longer, and fans do seem to generally respect them. Winning is the ultimate salve. Think Klopp & Guardiola.

In fact, you don't even have to be the bestest. Think Howe & Dyche. And Poch? ;)

And yes, we all knew there was a high probability that the next manager to follow Wenger wasn't going to last a really long time. And as soon as Emery was chosen, he didn't exactly change that feeling. But better than being "stuck" with a declining old manager who was getting comparably poor reviews from fans.

So here we are, well into the second half of Unai's 2-year contract, and the general consensus is that he's not the one. And so, giving him more time is not likely the answer. Whether he's cut loose now or at the end of the season depends on what happens in the next 1-3 months. [Edit: If not sooner!]

If we sack him mid-season then I'd vote for Freddie as caretaker, assuming there isn't some other safe, experienced hand waiting in the wings. Then, unless Freddie is amazing as head coach, I'd allow him to go back to his apprentice role and hire someone permanent to start in May/June.

Realizing that "permanent" is often just 1-3 years. ;)

Furnaccio repped this.
  4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is it really necessary to have another thread in addition to the one we already have that's on this exact subject?

DaPrince84 repped this.
  5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other thread is about Emery and how to determine whether he is successful or not. It has drifted towards his firing with some discussion about his replacement. Started this thread to give some focus to the replacement discussion. Some who might want to chime in here may not go to the other thread, especially if they aren't aware that a replacement is being discussed there.

NorthBank repped this.
  6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good points and very well written. I know there was a few of us here who said “be careful what you wish for” when #WengerOut was trending worldwide.

I like the caretaker idea though...

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eddie Howe :)

Super Llama repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You & I mate. Wonder whether any more of us goons would take a punt on him.

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Eddie Howe hype is silly. He’s reached his limit.

Max Allegri por favor.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's a difference between growing pains and looking at something that has no clear direction or objective. I don't know that you can look at the beginning of Emery's arsenal and today and say what he's building. It's just so directionless.

Shen-O and bandwagongooner repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup it's a shitshow

12. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nagelsmann would be my pick. As for who takes over for the remainder of the season - I have no clue. No one is leaving a club mid-season, and all of the managers out of work are not suitable, or probably unwilling to take the job on as a caretaker role.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We not getting Leipzig’s manager. Bayern wanted him.

Super Llama repped this.
  14. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Usually I would give any manager more than 2 years and would never advocate sacking a manager mid-season but the point of parting ways with Wenger was to stop our stagnation and decline which occured over the last 5 years and in particular the last two. However Emery in the last 1.5 half years has given us worse results, worse quality of play and has made us worse in every category In comparison to Wenger last years. We have no style of play, no real system we use, no identity and terrible results. So why keep him? At least with Wenger I had loyalty and there was 22 years of ups and downs and I wasn't #Wengerout until March 2018. I have no loyalty to Good Ebenning. Hopefully we get drubbed my Leicester (I hate saying that) and Emery gets canned. Appoint Freddie as a caretaker and search for a true replacement in May.

15. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the former players who may be able to manage the team, I think Per Mertesacker would be the best. I have no reason for this except it seems like everybody would listen to him.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    allegri is boring

Howe plays good football and has worked wonders

he speaks the language and has kept up a tiny team with a small budget playing good football

arsenal are not an elite club don’t forget

17. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bayern are most likely getting Ten Hag in the summer (hence why they only want a stop-gap manager for now). Ten Hag was the coach of Bayern II while Pep was there, so he is familiar with the club and is apparently eager to go back.

Nagelsmann is probably too young for the old-school Bayern management. He will end up there eventually, maybe when he is closer to 40.

18. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I really don't want a British manager, Arsenal are not elite but we are a world class club and a good brand still. I'm not going to slate a manager for not knowing the language or learning the language slowly its Emery tactics and poor managing and our poor quality of play that is a knock not his English language skills.

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The time to get Nagelsmann was when we hired Emery. Now that he is at Leipzig he is on a good enough level that Arsenal isn't going to be a "step up" unless he really wants to prove himself in the EPL. Interesting part of that is that our post Wenger roster was actually setup nicely for Naglemann's preferred 3-3-2-2 formation. Still would of needed to improve the CB & LB/LWB spot but I think we would have been in less of personnel issue had we gone with him over Emery.

Shen-O repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    emery not being able to speak the language would have a massive effect on his time here

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly agree with that. But if lack of English fluency was his only deficiency, i.e. if he had us playing good stuff, getting results, with players on board, then I don't think the language thing would disqualify him or force his ouster. Sadly, it's just one of several fundamental deficiencies which is dooming him. And us.

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kike Marin is claiming that Raul has been in contact with Luis Enrique to gauge his interest in taking over for Emery.

23. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Honestly the squad just needs some structure a relatively stable 11 and a basic attacking perspective.

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was reading some stuff last night Regarding our impending coach search. They suggested that thata guy like Allegri/Mourinho would be successful at Arsenal but would likely not be someone we would target due to Raul/Edu's preference that Arsenal play an attractive style of soccer. They suggested our 2 best options would be Brendan Rodgers or Jorge Sampaoli. Sampaoli is a very intriguing option based on his scheme and very offensive style of play. Biggest potential issue with him is that he does not speak English. The bonus to Sampaoli is that he is currently managing Santos and their season ends in about a month.

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports starting to pop up that ManC would not get in the way of Arteta leaving mid season if Arsenal would to offer him the manager position.

MisplacedSpainard repped this.