Alert: Next decades Netherlands will be the new Hungary of Europe. Once great, but slipped into mediocrity.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Will the Netherlands be the new Hungary of Europe? Once great, but slipped into mediocrity?

1. That's an understatement. It is going to be far worse.

10.9%
  2. I agree, we will slip into severe mediocrity. Hungary sounds about right.

5.5%
  3. No, not really, we will be the new Belgium, that so now and then will produce a Hazard through luck.

20.9%
  4. No, football is a cyclical thing, in a few years we will be as strong as always.

46.4%
  5. What a ridiculous Poll. Netherlands will even improve over time and finally win the WC.

16.4%
  1. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Keizer is doing real things there. Can't wait to see development of Ezra Walian, maybe even Justin Kluivert, Gino Dekker, Eiting, Dankerlui, Sanniez, Pelle Clement. Perspective players.

2. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Ajax is above creativity. Whisper From Heaven probably.:cool: Maybe I am subjective, hard to emphasize those emotional chambers.

3. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Which defenders? Kongolo, Karsdorp? Netherlands changes a lot of players, many of them are young and unseen among club elite. So it's not easy to follow Dutch directions.

4. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    By the way people, who would you compare V.Janssen to ? The first times I saw him playing I compared him to the young Koevermans and people to Kuyt, but he is definitly a different type of player than both I think ...

The way he uses his body remind me a bit of Diego Costa, he has great feints too.

Would anybody agree or find better comparisons ?

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Be happy if I didn't associate myself at all with Ajax right now :ROFLMAO:

I kid......I kid

6. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    He reminds me on Benzema a little, in those situations of one touch, fast reactions, but his height provides him space to keep the ball, maybe Fernando Torres in previous years.

7. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Van Dijk is easily our best defender right now. And Karsdorp looked fantastic his first two games

Gilbertsson and Sybe Pals repped this.
  8. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    While we have gone to shit on most positions, our options for the right back position isn't that bad..

- Daryl Janmaat (Injured)
    - Kevin Diks (Bench)
    - Sandy Walsh (starter)
    - Rick Karsdorp (starter)
    - Kenny Tete (bench, but unjustifiably)

That's not bad at all.

Orange14, Gilbertsson and Sybe Pals repped this.
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He really needs to learn the dramatic flop to be in the same league as Diego Costa.:D I'm not sure there is a good Dutch example. IMO, his hold up play is better than any striker I've seen who was a regular NT starter. He has a very good turn and his ball handling skills are excellent. I'm hoping that his choice to move to Spurs doesn't hinder his development as I think he could be a very special player.

10. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #1661 Laurent75, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Brenet Brenet Brenet

We have 4 decent options for the RB with Janmaat, Karsdorp, Tete and Brenet

11. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't find him to be that good.

12. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Better than Diks and Walsh though

13. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like Brenet, IMO he will be the best RB since a modern FB has to attack more than defend which makes it difficult for Tete!

14. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    From what I have seen no.
    He a decent on the attack (though kind of dumb with the ball), but more importantly, he is not a good defender. Both Diks & Walsh are defenders, I want my RB's to be defenders first.

JC-14 repped this.
  15. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I watched Brenet recently with Jong Oranje. He was impressive. Looks like a dutch Maicon.
    Don't forget Haps, the best linksback in the Eredivisie this season. There are some good players in the domestic league who are overlooked. I think of Haps but also Ehizibue, Ayoub of course, and Luckassen.

16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-rangers-were-ready-join-9081189

Dutch agent Rob Jansen: “In 1999, I worked with Celtic to prepare a plan that was so revolutionary, everything would have changed in football. In secret I spoke with Rangers , Ajax, PSV Eindhoven, Feyenoord, Porto, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Anderlecht, FC Copenhagen, the top clubs from Switzerland and Celtic too obviously. They would all have left their national leagues. We created a giant fictitious country of more than 60 million people by combining these teams. We had multinational companies ready to sponsor us, we knew how we would sell the TV rights, how the payments would run, the arbitration was settled, the infrastructure.”

17. Oranje Leeuwen

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you think the decline of the Dutch game might coincide with the decline of our subtop teams? For example, mid level teams like Groningen, FC Utrecht, AZ, Heerenveen, Vitesse now have 0 ability to hold onto anyone that has some quality for longer than a few years before they switch to some obscure team in Turkey, Russia, Ukraine etc. The ability to hold on to players who would be decent for them is pretty much gone. If these teams were able to have somewhat decent squads, the players in the top teams like ajax, psi, feyenoord get much better experience and would be able to make the jump to a higher league easier. But nowadays the quality gap between the eredivisie and other higher leagues is just so much larger than it used to be. Just a thought.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Teams have to sell players to balance the books. Dutch clubs don't get much revenue from television and clubs with small stadiums don't get much match day revenue either. Look at a crappy EPL team. Right off the bat they get €100M (I think I have this right with the exchange rate) in television revenue. That's more than any Dutch team has in operating money except for Ajax. Vitesse have this exchange deal with Chelsea and are getting players on loan now but that screws up the ability to promote young players.

There's no question that what you write is true but there is also not a solution.

19. The "Eredivisie" was the only league or the league with the highest profit on transfers, 85 million Euros, iirc.

20. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Vitesse funnily enough would be the one far and away with the most ability to hold on to people. More so than Feyenoord even. That the people in the incredibly shady ownership type situation they have decides to not make Vitesse too good doesnt mean they are unable to.

A big part is also that the best players of those teams will usually not make a smaller step upwards to fey/ajax/PSV first, again financial reasons.
    When I think of the Eredivisie players who do well in the BPL for example, they all spent alot of time in the Eredivisie and were quite mature. None of the ones shipped off after just 1 or 2 good seasons made it as far as I know. Luckily all the 16 year olds we ship to england turn out great.

21. You forgot the :rolleyes: so I fixed it.

22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    About Vitesse ... can't find the study any more but IIRC that kind of model isn't that bad ... instead of the bigger clubs in Europe just raiding the smaller clubs for anybody that's over 16yo and has a bit of talent ... there's a long-term commitment ... structural cooperation in which the parent clubs shares a lot of know-how (Chelsea have plenty), helps financially, loans players that would otherwise be impossible to get, etc. ... the concentration of top talents should help them push each other to become better than in a less competitive environment (also helping the homegrown talents).

Struggling Beerschot, back when they were on financial drip from Ajax, saw the likes of Dembele, Nainggolan, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, et al. come through in no time ... Beerschot also had a great scout ... IIRC it was GBA's chairman at the time who said that the players/flops that Ajax sent over were worse than what remained at Beerschot ... and that's after Ajax took all of their players that were at least half decent ... if this deal looked more like the Vitesse one, it could have been a big success for both parties ... I heard that Beerschot are working with PSV now ... the parent club probably should be a bigger one though.

23. Found an old article on the 2010WC run.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...ld-cup-success-in-rejection-of-total-football
    Dutch find World Cup success in rejection of ‘Total Football’
    [​IMG]
    Republish
    Reprint

Matthew Scianitti | July 6, 2010 7:05 PM ET
    More from Matthew Scianitti | @mscianitti

[​IMG]
    REUTERS/Dylan MartinezNetherlands' Wesley Sneijder (R) celebrates with teammate Giovanni van Bronckhorst after their 2010 World Cup semi-final soccer match against Uruguay at Green Point stadium in Cape Town July 6, 2010.

Even though the Netherlands has endured the title of World Cup underachievers since the Oranje lost back-to-back finals in 1974 and 1978, the Dutch look upon the players of those failed teams with much pride.

Players such as Ruud Krol, Rob Rensenbrink, Johnny Rep, Rene and Willy van de Kerkhof and unassailable Johan Cruyff are considered paragons of the most alluring kind of soccer, “Total Football.”