Alert: Next decades Netherlands will be the new Hungary of Europe. Once great, but slipped into mediocrity.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Will the Netherlands be the new Hungary of Europe? Once great, but slipped into mediocrity?

1. That's an understatement. It is going to be far worse.

10.9%
  2. I agree, we will slip into severe mediocrity. Hungary sounds about right.

5.5%
  3. No, not really, we will be the new Belgium, that so now and then will produce a Hazard through luck.

20.9%
  4. No, football is a cyclical thing, in a few years we will be as strong as always.

46.4%
  5. What a ridiculous Poll. Netherlands will even improve over time and finally win the WC.

16.4%
  1. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That is a very bad bad team. Sneijder is too slow IMO to play as an attacking CAM with Blind, Strootman being CM, there will be too less creativity. Wijnaldum isn't a Left Winger, he is a bad winger. Robben is one of the best Dutch players in history & should walk into anytime he is fit.

Willems can't defend. Oranje can't win anything Willems in the team. You can do whatever you want but Willems alone is good enough for a loss. Karsdorp & Willems are also too attacking. Strootman & Blind are both left footed & too slow. Sneijder also plays very left sided in CM meaning all 3 clog the same space.

It is too early to come with a line-up as of now.

The defense looks decent. Janssen is doing decent. Promes is not bad. The next 1 year should be focused on getting Bergwijn, Nouri, Van de Beek, Ramselaar, Bazoer, Kongolo etc really breaking out & being Top Eredivisie players!

And let us hope Depay rescues his career n De Vrij makes a switch to a top EPL team where the action will be at a much faster pace & end to end & very physical & then we will see if De Vrij is the real deal like Van Dijk

Sybe Pals and Oranje98 repped this.
  2. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    The problem is that it would already be too late...What will we prepare then ? 2022 ?

We would start the qualifiers 2020 with half of unexperienced players who are still eredivisie players, didn't even qualify for the U21 tournament...And we don't know what group we can get for 2020 qualifiers, might be a tough one.

If things were taking the right direction, then Ajax and PSV could have sold players like Klaassen, Narsingh...last summer or even a year before to make room for the youngsters, and some of them could already have some eredivisie games behind their backs and be with NT now.

These qualifiers should have been the starting thing for the generation 95/2000 in order to prepare 2020&2022, but no, it's still full of mediocre players born between 90/95...

3. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's not there as an attacking CAM, he's there as an ACM (there's a difference). He's the best player on the team at passing between the lines and finding a way to move the ball forward and 'force' offensive runs of play. With him sitting a bit deeper in front of Strootman and Blind he can actually provide some kind of link between the attack and midfield. I'd actually love to see them try and convert him to a deep lying playmaker or 'regista' of sorts behind the midfield 2 but I don't see them trying that atm. Either way he's more of a fulcrum from which to spread the ball around with Promes and Wijnaldum given more freedom to drift into the middle for the overlap from Karsdorp and Willems. The midfielders are not just going to run into eachother either -- Sneijder drifts often to the left with the NT because that's where he's asked to play. Wijnaldum has done really well in an attacking midfield position in the past, and with some freedom to roam and be attack minded he would do well again I think -- he could be a very similar player to Muller to be frank.

Obviously Robben would walk in any time he were fit.

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I think the attacking midfielder is the biggest gap at the moment... really need somebody to break out. Maybe Ramselaar if he can force himself to play more regularly. Seems like he has a better shot at doing so, compared to Nouri who has has Ziyech in front of at the club level. The experiment with Klaassen and Propper should end.

For the central midfielder there's Wijnaldum.. not exactly a strong contributor to the Dutch NT at the moment, but he gets plenty of playing times at 'Pool and hoping that Klopp can make him better. Vilhena is intriguing, this kid has loads of talent and his attitude seems to improve. Then there's Van Ginkel and Bazoer. Van De Beek may be a stretch.

I feel confident with the defensive midfielder situation. We have Strootman, then there are plenty of back-up options like Clasie, Riedewald, Hendrix and maybe Ayoub if he's ever given a look. Blind can fill in here as well.

Wingers also need some helps... a "comeback" for the likes of Memphis, El-Ghazi, Boetius. Or a huge step change for Bergwijn or Dos Santos.

5. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    What happened to him? @DRB300 was one of the best contributers in this sub.

6. His sudden obsession with a certain topic wasted his mind.
    Pity, because he had a very good vision on footballing matters without club biases.

7. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If there would have been a dutch team now with all black players how would it look. I mean starting 11?

8. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I understand. But I have watched Sneijder over the years & his playing style is such that he will tend to go very left of field & sometimes in a way will hog the left midfield. Why do you think LVG played Strootman at RCM on a weaker foot struggling while Sneijder played LCM?

Anyways I understand what you are proposing - Let's hope the team comes up good!

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Feyenoord fan chased him away with his constant trolling. Utter shame.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only reason that an over the hill Snjeider is still considered for the NT is that all the other MFs are very mediocre. Propper is too slow and deliberate when he faces top level teams such as France. Look at the difference between that game and the half he played against Belarus. Did he even complete a tight pass against France; I thought everything was easily interepted. Klaassen's poor touch and passing have been well documented in his Ajax matches. Had he not been named el Capitan he would be a substitute these days. Clasie cannot play a full 90 minutes for club or country. Hendrix is just a shade above average in the Eredivisie, certainly no van Bommel or de Jong. Bazoer's confidence is shot and he has always been too slow on the ball but he's only 20 years old and maybe he can get things straightened out but I don't think that will happen at Ajax. Van Ginkel has been often injured and until he goes out on loan and gets PT he will always be a big questionmark. van de Beek is still young and quite frankly should be starting over Klaassen (please somebody come up with some €s and purchase him). Riedewald has a lot of promise but Bosz has his head up his ass and is starting Schöne over him. Haven't seen enough of Ramselaar to make a judgement.

el Ghazi looks really slow this season and I don't think he is long for Ajax. Cerny (unfortunately not Dutch) is a better winger and I think Gino Dekker (who is Dutch) is promising. Memphis needs to get out of Manchester. Which Dos Santos are you taking about?

11. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Likely Dabney Dos Santos of AZ.
    Was our second best performing LW last season (5 goals and 10 assists), behind... Locadia - but that obviously had a lot to do with Janssen being on fire and other prospects disappointing - Memphis, Elia (was ok), Lens, Boetius, Kishna..

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^Thanks! I'll try to follow him. I'm hoping NGSN comes back on line soon. Last season they had all the Dutch league games and archived them. I could go back and watch players that I would not normally except the twice a season when they played against Ajax.

14. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He could apologize to him on Twitter & ask him to come back!

15. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He would never do that because he thinks he's behaving just fine. Don't think he can read this either cause he blocked me a while ago.

And there's no need. I have already talked with drb, he said he'd be back when he has more time to discuss the games.

Blondo repped this.
  16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    That's great ... not only was he a very active member ... he often had quality posts.

Orange14 repped this.
  17. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #1642 Gilbertsson, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    I have touched this theme on Bas Dost thread. I don't think that the Netherlands will vanish from football scene. But slight crisis exists. Remember, Netherlands wasn't at World Cup 2002. But they came back as very strong team at EURO 2004, WC 2006, WC 2010, WC 2014....

My answer is: No, football is a cyclical thing, in a few years we will be as strong das always.:)

[​IMG]

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Actually, we'll come back even stronger and finally win that damn world cup

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Magic is not a word that I associate with Ajax.

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who is this Giblbertsson guy??
    Did he get lost on his way from Croatia to Amsterdam or something?? :laugh:

21. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+