Next Captain After Bradley

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 10, 2017.

?

Who will be the next USMNT captain?

1. Pulisic

44.2%
  2. Vet contingent (Altidore, Guzan, Besler, Cameron, Yedlin, Brooks, Johnson, Wood)

26.7%
  3. Other

29.1%
  1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t disagree but I suspect that’s what we will see.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about a captain is they should be irreplaceable in the starting XI, and all of our irreplaceable players can’t even drink yet.

Zinkoff and TOAzer repped this.
  3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Def a big issue. We also have yet to see any of them play under Greg in his system. Let’s see where we stand after a few games and maybe even the gold cup.

Still sadly think we’ll end up with Trapp/Bradley holding the band for the next year or so.

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bradley is captain for the Gold Cup, then that means he would be playing, would be starting. Which would mean our midfield would be playing a man down from the start. Would Berhalter really want to squander the gold cup in the service of upholding MIkey's "honor"??

70runner repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope this is his farewell tour and we don’t have to deal with much more of Bradley on the field.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. Force11

Force11 Red Card

United States
    Dec 24, 2018
    observing this situation for a long-time and remember a poster continue to predict that Bradley will instantly get the arm-band again and play 90 minutes after a year off. I was in complete shock, as that is exactly what happened.

Its very political/inner-circle in USsoccer right now.

Jonathan Gonzalez house was visited 3 times- that turned out be a lie
    Fabian Johnson wants limited role/is done with USMNT- that turned out to be a lie

So Michael Bradley could be captain for the next 3 years in an underserving and hindering capacity and there is nothing anyone could do about it because that what the top people in USSF want even at the expense of the team.

yurch10, TOAzer and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    adams/mckennie need to show they are starters first

8. 70runner

70runner Member

Jun 21, 2007
    As noted, Bradley in midfield is akin to playing a midfielder down. The captains armband doesn't change this, just makes it more painful. That Berhalter decides to reinstate MB frankly is his first real stupid move. Bradley has no present or future with this team.

yurch10 and chad repped this.
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea it’s honestly a big middle finger to US fans.

chad repped this.
  10. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As I stated in the past, a bigger man would have retired from International play. If you are all about the team and the program and the honor of the nation, as a captain should be, be big enough to know when it's time to bow out gracefully. Others have done it in this country and much more prestigious soccer nations. Seriously, be honorable in your twilight.

Zinkoff, yurch10, Eighteen Alpha and 4 others repped this.
  11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Hmm....do you think he cares about your sheep opinion?

yurch10 repped this.
  12. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not only mine! And obviously not because he still accepts call ups.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Regardless of whether he belongs on the team or not, I believe the bolded is inherently false. Not due to his position as a "captain" or his pride, attitude toward the team or nation but because the one characteristic that all successful pros have to have is a certain competitiveness and arrogance to believe that they can still be effective...even when they can't. It is the reason that so few actually retire at the top of their game. Some try but ultimately most are forced out when it becomes apparent that they are no longer wanted. It is the coach's job to end careers when players are past it.

Bottom line(s):
    1) If you want to blame somebody for Bradley being in the team, don't blame Bradley. Blame Berhalter.
    2) A lot of people have complained about Sarachan and assmed that he was simply a puppet for Berhalter and that Berhalter will just carry on right where he left off..with Bradley and/or Trapp as full time captains. I say lets wait at least a couple of months. January will give us a better peek but it will be nice to see the first camp which includes European based players.
    3) I personally prefer to wait and see what actually happens with Bradley under Berhalter. He made the first camp...made up purely from MLS, he was one of 10 midfielders.
    4) I don't expect to see Bradley as playing a consistent starting role in important games and I believe someone, other than Trapp, will end up playing his role. I hope I am not wrong.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Captain or not, Adams was our best player in 2018. If he is not deemed a starter at this point, something is terribly amiss.

btlove and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    being the 'best player' in 2018...isn't an accomplishment they didn't play a match that mattered.

the issue with him is a 6...or an 8 or is a rwb or what is he the answer isn't he can play anywhere. I mean will he play next to trapp and mckennie will sit? they can't play 4/5 6/8 type players we saw that with davey boy it just doesn't work.

we know trapp will start can the team afford to play mckennie and adams too and just risk not scoring goals with the hope they can just sit back and not give up any?

we will see if adams is good soon though because he is about to play against the best competition he's ever played against on a weekly basis.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not making any sense. He played against the same level that the rest of his competition for a spot on the US team played, and he looked significantly better than they did. Against France, Brazil, etc. He has played his way into the starting lineup. If he isnt in the starting lineup because of Wil Trapp, something is amiss, as I said.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and btlove repped this.
  17. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Our last competitive game was October 10th, 2017 just so everybody knows which games we are allowed to assess players on. We should have just called USL players for this camp since none of these games matter anyway

18. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one has 'shown' they're a starter yet because no one has played for Berhalter the USMNT coach. But agree on Adams and I'd love to hear why McKennie isn't a 'starter' at this point too.

Both have leadership qualities and both are in the top 4 of our midfield talent pool today, with a lot of development still to go.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Frankly, the more I see of him, the less I'd like Pulisic as captain. He loses it when things are not working for him. Also, since he gets fouled quite a bit, it makes sense for someone else to point that out to the ref.

20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this is true because they didn't have coach for any of those matches and for almost all didn't even have a gm....the games meant nothing.

I mean if you only watched those games you'd think steffan was the lock starter...if you were paying attention you'd know that horvath is probably playing better right now.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    mckennie isn't a starter because the team literally doesn't have a style at this point and we know trapp will start.

that leaves one other sport for a cm(assuming he stays with his columbus style) and well..adams and mckennie and bradley and Canouse and acosta and llegett and roldan and delgado and believe it or not that isn't everyone all play in the middle of the field.. they all can't start together. someone will need to sit.

by leadership qualities you mean they run around and make a lot of noise...that isn't 'leadership'. not to mention 'leadership' and being a capt on the national team are the stupidest things people are desperate for.

on and in a 4-3-3 you can't play mckennie/adams/trapp together because you'll get what davey got offensively and thats nothing. you can't play 3/4 players who are 6/8 and offer little offensively and hope goals just happen by way of luck.