Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    of course not, but we are talking about a different role. if eriksen were to come to barcelona, it would not be as the role of a box to box player like paulinho, it would be a player to either take iniesta`s role or xavi`s role. players like paulinho and casemiro bring balance to their team as iniesta and kroos are not strong defensively. having too many similar players creates no balance unless you are able to create a barcelona midfield like guardiola did in 08-12, where every single player is defending aggresively.

2. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #2052 Sexy Beast, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    I've seen A LOT of Barcelona in past decade or so and my intuition says that he would be an ideal fit to Barcelona. I can't fully articulate why that is so, but as i've managed so far, i think it's because of the energy that Eriksen brings off and on the ball. Now, whether that's true can't be proved or disaproved until Eriksen becomes a Barcelona player.
    Btw, to make myself cristal clear, i don't think that out of all midfielders in the world, Eriksen would be the best pick for Barcelona, i would obviously take Thiago, Modrić, Kroos, De Bruyne and many more midfielders over Eriksen any day of the week, because he simply isn't at the same class as them, but what i was trying to say, initially, was that Eriksen is pretty affordable relative to his value and simply better fit for Barcelona than Rakitić.

Eriksen would bring balance in the sense that he covers a lot of ground per game. Rakitić and Iniesta don't do that, at least not effectively. Having someone like Eriksen in the team would rejuvenate Barcelona's pressing, imo, especially in a pair with Thiago and Busquets. That would be as close to perfection for Barcelona atm as they could possibly afford,.. but hey, why not spend hundreds of milions on Neymar's successor.. twice (Dembele, Coutinho).

Anyhow, Paulinho is mostly playing in attacking midfield role. Defending is not something that he offers to Barcelona to some significant extent. As Guardiola showed with his Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets midfield, if you are playing with a team that presses very well and covers a lot of ground while doing it, you don't need particularly great defensive midfielders in your team.

ko242 repped this.
  3. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #2053 leadleader, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Hahaha. I've already reluctantly come to terms with the fact that football fans, the majority of them anyways, just don't have actual educated opinions of their own to offer to the discussion, they pretty much only ever repeat (confidently) whatever the politically correct, whatever the manufactured consent, is at any given point. Case in point: Real Madrid fans who can't even understand that Marcelo was obviously better than CR7 in that specific game, just don't deserve the time of day, to be perfectly honest.

Having come to terms with the unfortunate reality that fans in general don't really have opinions of their own to offer, I try to see the funny side of such an unfortunate predicament. (For the record: a conclusion that I came to terms with years ago, and not as a result of Real Madrid's recent success.) For example, it's plainly amusing how so many Real Madrid fans don't adequately (or at all) realize how irrational a lot of their 'logic' is. The cherry-picked comments below more or less prove my point or at the very least substantiate my point of view.

The above logic is... incorrect... as usual. If Real Madrid's midfield dominates enough or is simply efficient enough, Ronaldo can have his scoring boots off and he will still be good enough to completely fail to score one relatively easy goal, but at the same time score another relatively easy goal (or as was the case, one incredibly lucky knee-goal that was assisted by a deflection). The persistent belief that Ronaldo needs to be 'on' is silly in light of the fact that the service he gets is the type of service that would have Gonzalo Higuain scoring one goal per game.

And again... Ronaldo was not in hero mode, and Real Madrid still won by an exaggerated and undeserved 3-1 margin. And not only was Ronaldo not in hero mode, but many Real Madrid fans were talking about how terrible Ronaldo was for large spells of the game, which of course changed after Ronaldo 'proved his worth' by scoring a PK and a knee-goal.

As for the whole premise of Ronaldo being some 'hero mode' type of savior... When did CR7 became said 'hero mode' performer??

Against Bayern Munich 2016-17, the 'hero mode' player was by far Real Madrid's number 12 player: the referee who red carded Arturo Vidal, who for some reason did not red carded Casemiro, and who for some reason then also allowed Cristiano Ronaldo to score 2 consecutive off-side goals.

Against Atletico Madrid 2016-17, there was absolutely no need for some hero; Atletico Madrid could no longer compete against top tier clubs like Real Madrid or Barcelona. Atletico Madrid 2017-18 did not even made it out of their group stage, which is no coincidence, and which is just the logical continuation of what was already obvious in 2016-17.

Against Juventus 2016-17, Ronaldo scored 2 goals, including yet another one of his signature lucky-deflection-goals, and a relatively easy and well-assisted goal from close range; CR7 was no doubt decisive, but I would hardly call that a 'hero mode' performance.

Against Wolfsburg 2015-16, Ronaldo in the first leg was so thoroughly abysmal that he unequivocally was one of the big reasons as to why Real Madrid needed a 'hero' in the second leg. A less legendary goal scorer who was simply good in the two legs (instead of a hero in the second leg, but abysmal in the first leg), would've more-than-sufficed for Real Madrid to eliminate the 8th best club from the Bundesliga.

Nothing vs. Atletico Madrid 2014-15 (Final). Nothing vs. Atletico Madrid 2013-14 (Final). Nothing vs. Manchester City 2015-16 (Semi Finals, second leg). Worst Man of the Match vs. Borussia Dortmund 2012-13 (Semi Finals, second leg). So many 'hero mode' performances to chose from.

Of course, Ronaldo came back to 'his hero mode best' after scoring a PK and a knee-goal. Real Madrid fans, not all of them but honestly quite a lot of them, are a special type of stupid that they cannot realize that Real Madrid has been doing that since 2014--they don't play extremely well, but they just manage to create a lot of great service, and even Ronaldo on an 'off day' will tend to score 1-2 goals with the type of excellent service that he's been getting ever since Luka Modric and Co. became a formidable midfield unit.

Failing to score 2 clear-cut open play chances, but at the same time scoring the PK that some other player created, is the new "hero mode" apparently. Overall: I never thought I'd see a more overrated player than Zinedine Zidane or Steven Gerrard, but Cristiano Ronaldo in the twilight of his career probably takes that cake home--this is a guy who often literally isn't even the best player in his own team, but for some reason the BDO and the FIFA awards would have us believe that Ronaldo is the best player in the world so long as Real Madrid wins the Champions League.

Ronaldo should have a hat trick if only Real Madrid's midfield was any good at providing good service... LMAO... It's literally impossible to tell anymore, when a person is being sarcastic for the laughs, or when a Ronaldo fan is just fu**ing unequivocally retarded. Poor Ronaldo should be scoring hat tricks all the time, if not for Real Madrid's mediocre midfield players.

Voice of sanity in an otherwise bizarre discussion of how Benzema sucks to no end but somehow Ronaldo doesn't suck even a little bit recently.

LMAO. Someone started watching football in 2016.

4. yoanaidarov

yoanaidarov Member+

Real Madrid
    Bulgaria
    Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    What a sad little ******** this guy is. :ROFLMAO:

5. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    True, but part of you has to admire the effort that went into creating that post. Though I did not read it...

Halycon, Zidane05 and yoanaidarov repped this.
  6. yoanaidarov

yoanaidarov Member+

Real Madrid
    Bulgaria
    Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Neither did I. I’m not wasting my time.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wouldn't say he has changed football. Rossi won balon d'or 82 being johnny on the spot in the WC. Ronaldo won the last 2 because he built a reputation over the years and that weights in the voting given Madrid won the CL and La Liga and he banged in goals even though his overall performances weren't that great. A lot of voters don't care if the goals are easy or ugly. If you're banging in goals galore you're doing something right even if they are only tap ins and what not.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Madrid don't win the CL he won't win jack. Unless Portugal somehow wins the WC with him scoring 5 goals or so.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Disagree. While you don't see Paulinho making slide tackles and stealing a lot of balls lke a Mascherano, he absolutely provides defending to Barca. He is always tracking back and occupying space intelligently which is part of defending. He does have the stamina to make those runs into the box and the come back to keep the team in shape defensively which has been very valuable for Barca this season.

ko242 and leadleader repped this.
  10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    You should get yourself a life outside this forum.

yoanaidarov repped this.
  11. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #2061 leadleader, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Well you do sound simple-minded to begin with, so I can see how you would readily be under the impression that said (well constructed) post somehow required admirable or considerable effort. Of course, the reality is very different, in that it was (as usual) very easy to write my observations, simply because the subject is a continuation of what Real Madrid has been doing since 2014. Nothing new to add, merely copy-and-paste the same old ludicrous opinions that the same group of fans continue to agree with.

Anyways, I don't expect simple-minded Ronaldo fans nor Real Madrid fans to waste their time reading something that should make them feel dumb, but by all means, please do continue invading this thread to voice how much you disliked my effort that you did not even bothered reading. It's one of the quintessential differences between fans like me and fans like you: I actually consistently read and inform myself with regards to many different opinions, variety is interesting, even opinions such as yours, which is precisely why I know that said opinions are in fact laughable--I actually read what I presume to criticize and understand.

12. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #2062 leadleader, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Considering how inconsistent and non-present I am in this forum, I'd say it's readily obvious that I do in fact have a life outside of this forum.

Another similarly-obvious-but-more-important-point I'd like to point out: You are a staff member, is it appropriate behavior for a staff member to personally and explicitly attack one specific poster simply because you dislike what said poster said about Ronaldo fans and/or about Real Madrid fans? I am not a staff member, and you do not see me invading other unrelated threads just to go after one specific poster. Personally insulting me by implying that I have no life outside of this forum: Can you please explain to me, what exactly I said that could even begin to justify the fact that you, a staff member, just went out of your way, posted an unrelated post in this thread, and personally attacked me? It is childish behavior at best, and honestly, it is exactly the type of passive-aggressive behavior that I've come to expect from the staff members and also from the moderators of this forum: I probably haven't witnessed a more pointless nor a more rude group of moderators, staff members, etc., in any other forum. And as should be obvious, this forum is pretty bad overall as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't even bother commenting on it if it weren't for the select few members who make it worthwhile.

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    We may as well close this thread .... fakeRonaldo's fluke goal off his backside the other night should be enough to clinch this years title ...

14. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Seriously, get a life outside this forum.

yoanaidarov and artielange84 repped this.
  15. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Well, obviously comapred to Barcelona last season with Neymar in the squad instead of Paulinho, he brings defensive stability to the team, but he mostly occupies Bakero's position in a midfield romb, plus he makes a lot of runs in penalty box, which that fact by itself tells you what kind of a player he is. He is not quite as box to box as some may suggest. Leaning more towards a second line of pressing role (after Messi and Suarez) than defending from the deep.

16. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    very good point. marcelo has arguably been madrid`s best attacking threat this season.

You know leadleader, i understand where you are coming from. but i must say, when you criticize ronaldo it seems as if you are not giving him any credit for what he has done and it seems as if you have something strongly against him. HOWEVER, i know better. and what you are saying has a lot of truth to it. but it seems as if you are bringing it out in a way that is anti-CR7, if i were someone who did not know your true intentions. but your analysis as a student of the game and your objectivity is really good. perhaps if you added some credit here and there to your analysis of CR7 then it wouldn`t seem so distasteful to others. but you are without doubt a true student of the game who is able to see things for what they are probably better than at least 95% of people out there. anyway, i hope you stay in this forum for a long time as well.

actually, because of your objectivity, you and @lessthanjake where able to help me see the true value of Zidane outside of the biased hype. before i judged zidane unbelievably high before really trying to see the point you were trying to make. whereas others just thought that you were a zidane hater. your input is much appreciated

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I guess it does depend on the game. Today he stole the ball right in front of Barca's box :D

Sexy Beast repped this.
  18. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yeah, ture. Today Barcelona played 4-4-2 flat with Paulinho next to Busquets rather than at the top of a diamond

19. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If Real Madrid wins the Champions League again, Ronaldo will win another Ballon D’Or. That’s just how it is. He is the perceived as the star man of the team, regardless of his actual performances.

This season Ronaldo and Benzema have been the biggest weakness to Real Madrid. They have both missed a lot of golden chances. As a result Real Madrid have drawn or lost games they should have otherwise won.

The biggest strength of this Real Madrid side is the midfield (which is the best in the world) and Marcelo, who might be the most technically gifted fullback I have ever seen. They are the main reason to why Real Madrid turn it up to another level in the Champions League.

There’s no doubt in my mind that if someone like Harry Kane played the same role as Ronaldo does in this Real Madrid side, got the same service Ronaldo does, and took every penalty and freekick like Ronaldo does; he would easily score as many goals as Ronaldo.

BUT I don’t think that Real Madrid will win the Champions League this year. Ronaldo and Benzema are past it, while Bale is regularly injured. When they meet Barcelona or Jupp’s Bayern, they will be beaten.

ko242 repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Madrid's midfield is good on paper but hasn't been performing as such. The PSG game was actually even and the game was in Madrid.

21. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Hm, really depending on which game you are looking at. I agree with Milan05 that Real has the best midfield in the world (last season by far, this season there are some that come close like City..) Kroos - Modrić duo is the best in the world, without a single shadow of a doubt. They have complementary skills, they are pretty balanced players on their own and as a duo, plus they have a great chemistry in general because they are playing together for 4 seasons.
    They showed their full class in every big game they've played in past year and so (except for the last el clasico). Casemiro is quite incosistent tho and i would say the biggest weakness of Real's squad. If they had Busquets in that team, this would probably be 3rd treble in a row loading.

You will probably argue that few of those draws and loses in domestic league were due to poor performing midfield, and perhaps you would be right for very few examples, but generally they've been as good as they were last season in league. The fact that tells you that is that Real Madrid is the team that created most chances so far in league (despite scoring 12 goals less than Barcelona) and that they have missed the most. Ronaldo's and Benzema's inefficiency for such a long period of time cost them league, nothing else.

It's also a different scenario when Kroos and Modrić face a big team that tries to beat them in possesion (team that pressures them) and when they face team that parks the bus. In the second scenario i agree that Modrić and Kroos are not of the biggest use, but big games are something completely different. That's were both excel hence Real's performances in Champions league.

As for Real vs PSG game itself i think it was quite a balanced game. At any point game could turn in either direction, but it turned out that PSG's inexperience in big games (which i predicted awhile ago) cost them positive result at the end. Both teams made some tactical mistakes, but for me it seems that PSG has a way more room for improvement than Real. The reason to that is that PSG made more tactical mistakes, but also because PSG has Neymar and Real doesn't.
    If i am really honest, PSG wasn't on pair with Real in the game whatsoever, reason why it might seem as if they were is because they had Neymar and his ingenuity. The centre of the pitch was compeltely Real's. They just didn't know what to do about Neymar's dribbling and passing abilities. That's Real vs PSG in nutshell.

... so no, i don't think Real midfield is good only on paper. :p

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Last season yes. This season they haven’t been as good. Kroos for example has been awful for most of the season.

23. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't agree for Kroos whatsoever.

24. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If Ronaldo and Benzema scored the things that they should have (which Morata did last season), nobody would be talking about underperforming Real Madrid team this season at all, let alone underperforming Kroos, Modrić or any other individual.
    Conversion rate after Kroos' passes have never been worse in his entire Real Madrid career. He created 9 big chances, which 4 of them were scored this season in la liga. Compared to last season in 10 games more than this season, he created 12 big chances and collected 12 assists. The drop in conversion rate is the only problem Real has had in la liga this season, nothing else whatsoever! And i mean it. Not Isco, not Kroos, not Navas, nobody but poor finishing. That's not so hard to prove either. If they scored the things they should have, they would be up there with Barcelona searching for treble. It's that simple.

25. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Oh boy, another Ballon D'or discussion where the majority of conversation concerns CR7 and/or Messi, laughable specifically with regard to the thread's title. Anyone willing to bet there will be a civilized discussion this year that ends up generating original, creative dialogue? Looks like some may try placing that bet indeed...

[​IMG]