Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    and with an out side chance in 3 to 4 years time if he gets a move is Sterling, can see big things for this lad

2. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cassillas, are you kidding, he had his worst season for a long time last year, also Di Maria, on his current from he will not make the 23 list for 2015.

3. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, Casillas ain't winning it. And Suarez won't likely win it either.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  4. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re 2015 I think the following, Ronaldo and Messi will highly likely end the year with high goal totals in both La Liga and the Champions League. If one of their scoring rates decline a lot or they exit CL early this will count against them.

If Messi has a good Copa America that will be an added bonus and if they win it could seal if for him, likewise an average tournament could be negative as it will start up the doesn’t perform at national team level debate and count against him/

I think Ronaldo will benefit from having won last years and some people seem to put last years winner in their top 3 whether they have had a good year or not.

For both of them an early exit or subdues CL performance will not decrease their chances and I think this effected Messi in 2014 as had 3 less big games to try and shine.

For someone to get ahead of either of those too they will need to have a very strong domestic club season plus have some very big matches in the Champions League, i.e play great in both semis and the final or 2 of the 3 games plsu quarters (a bit like kaka in 07) or have a very good Copa America (Suarez came 6th after winning the Copa America and get PoT in 2011 after an average club season).

Possible contenders mentioned here are as follows:

Aguero – was on fire earlier in the season but has been injured, if Man City lose to Barca in last 16 CL which would put my money on he will need a pretty good scoring run at the end of the season and start of next prior to voting plus a very good Copa America to have a chance. A good CL run and Copa America are needed to have any chance.
    Sanchez – Whether he can keep up his form over a whole year is another matter, Arsenal will struggle to get past even the quarter finals at CL and he needs to have a good Copa America but would still say top 3 max.
    Costa – Even if Chelsea win the CL, PL and FA Cup treble (maybe plus League Cup) and he is the PL top scorer which is looking likely I can see him being top 5 max.
    Pogba – A bit early for him this year but is getting more and more dominant in Serie A, Juventus will no doubt win Serie A this year and he and Tevez will probably vie for PoY. What he needs is Juve to get to the final of CL, if he has a 3 or 4 big games on the way he maybe be up there but again I feel top 5 absolute max.
    Tevez – Needs to carry on Serie A form for the whole year, Juve to have a good run in the CL with him scoring and playing well. If they Juve got to the CL final and he has a great Copa America and Argentina won then he could have an outside chance.
    Robben – Unfortunately Bayern Munich are expected to win the Bundesliga with ease so no matter how good he is it won’t make a great deal of difference. If however Bayern win CL he would need to have some very big MoM performances in later rounds to have a chance.
    James Rodriguez – Not sure he will do enough to stand out even if Real retain CL and he has a strong Copa America. I can see him outside the top 10 to be honest.
    Neymar – Had a great start to this season in La Liga but has tailed off a bit, if he gets that from back in La Liga and CL and Barca have a good run or win and he has a very good Copa America I think he could be the main challenger
    Hazard – As talented as any of the above, has the ability for MoM performances but will it be enough to topped the big two? If Chelsea win the treble and he has some big games in CL later stages maybe, but probably not, top 3 max
    Di Maria – No chance, has not even been in Man Utds top 3 players this season and they will finish 3rd or 4th at best in PL, no CL and even a PoT in the Copa America would not be enough.
    Ibrahimovic – Has the ability to win but has had a quiet season and is reliant on PSG going almost all the way in CL to have any sort of chance, very much doubt it and think will struggle with top ten next year after having so many top tens in the past
    Neuer – Has such a good team ahead of him it will be hard to win unless Bayern do the treble and he has a couple of massive games but still would struggle to make top 3 again
    Suarez – Not the nest season so far, would have to have one of the most dramatic turnarounds this season and be the start man in a CL win to have any chance especially given he is banned from the Copa America
    Bale – Would have to turn in RMs main man which is unlikely, RM would need to retain CL and be the star player to get ahead of big two, top ten possibly

Pipiolo and Edhardy repped this.
  5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    None of these players will top Ronaldo or Messi anytime soon. Look at the numbers they're still putting up. They're both playing as in their prime.

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @Puck, was @EdgarAllanPoet you in disguise? :cautious:

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Cut out this unnecessary crap.

verde-rubro repped this.
  8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am suspicious because while @EdgarAllanPoet was in a keyboard war with some of us, surprisingly your activity in this forum diminished significantly. Also, he made a comment about me not being Argentinian, the same "fake Argie" barb that you so much love to fling at me.

greatstriker11 and BocaFan repped this.
  9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You're right about Cassilas, but I ain;t talking of only 2015 but after. In 2015, both Messi and CR7 will still be strong candidates !
    So I just list out the most "decorated names" with a close possible chance (Neymar hazard Suarez Kun...) and legacy (Cassilas Robben Ibra or Lahm)

For example:'
    - Who knows if Cassilass will lead Spain to Euro2016 final in (last) top form?
    - Who knows Robben might lead Netherlands to Euro16 in top form?
    - same thing with Hazard and Ibra (if still playing? I guess so)

10. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If @PuckVanHeel and @EdgarAllanPoet are all but the same bloke in disguise, then someone owes @leadleader a big apology, and then charge @comme for conspiracy. I hope this ain't true cause I just can't believe they used Edgar as bait to bring down Leader. I hope its not true.

Again read my lips, I said IF!!!!

[​IMG]

@Pipiolo @Jaweirdo do

Pipiolo repped this.
  11. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @Puck needs to answer these accusations straight on. Was he behind this fiasco that caused the banning of two long-time posters of the forum?

greatstriker11 repped this.
  12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Stop speculating or next Red Card will be on you LOL
    You think Comme did not know what he was doing?

Move on with the topic guys ....

verde-rubro, greatstriker11 and Pipiolo repped this.
  13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You make a very compelling argument.

I will say this though, if secondary assists were counted, Hazard would be up at the top for Chelsea. While he might not score the most or have most assists, he is hands down the most important player to Chelsea and their best player. Most moves go through him or he starts them. Just my opinion, but he is our best player.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He very well could if he were to stay at Real. But yeah, I agree Sloth, I don't see it happening if he goes back to the PL.

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    totally agree ...
    If by pure talent and age in potential, the list would start with:
    Neymar, Hazard, Bale and James ...
    lower and possibly Kun Suarez Pogba Kroos Di maria

16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hazard's issue is consistency. He can have an off match, but he'll have those moments each match where his dribbling and runs are just sublime. Even in those quitter matches he has moments. He just needs to put it together on a more consistent basis.

Also, his struggles (may be a bit harsh) for Belgium have to improve. He'll never score the goals that Messi or CR7 score, so improved play for the NT will boost his stock.

Sloth repped this.
  17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    a lot of good players were struggling with that ... otherwise they'd all win Ballon dor? Like Robben, Ibra, Benzama .. all same ..

Now scoring? it was never Hazard's best feature or was it? Hazard was always a "creative FW/winger" rather than a scoring FW (like Messi, CR7 or Stoitchkov Lato Best before ...
    .... so I do not mind to see Hazard become Like Figo Nedved , it'll be ok too, no?

Blueallthru repped this.
  18. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Absolutely agree. Even CR7 and Messi struggle with the NT. I just think with the goals they score for their club teams it eases the struggles with the NT. I'm not an advocate for those that score loads of goals. I think there is a lot more to a match, but goals are the driving force behind the award at this time. As a Chelsea fan, if Hazard became as good as Figo, or better, Nedved, I'd be a very happy person. I just hope to see someone else win the award, which obviously will happen, but I hope to see someone without the scoring pedigree but someone who influences a match in other ways.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree ... since 2010 to now, Football became more of a "Stats Sports" than ever before ...
    For example, just because before no one made stats for a GK, that over a sudden Neuer becmae a kinda or "rare talent" who "revolutionized" (LOL) his position as I have seen posted .,,

Pipiolo, SayWhatIWant and Blueallthru repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I don't have anything to do with EdgarAllanPoet. Such extraordinary accusations need extraordinary proof. As for the "fake Argie" thing; if you behave like one but you aren't one then I mention it yes. I maybe did two or three times, when you became emotionally involved and started to insult people.

Rather, if you like to respond, please respond to the observations and statements made. I said: Arsenal is much more of a one man team as Manchester City. Alexis Sanchez is more involved in the all-round play, sets up plays and shows wingplay, next to the labour in defence. I find Aguero a (slightly) overrated player yes (hype machine), especially when put next to Sanchez. Sanchez is doing many things better, and is doing more different things.

A funny anecdote (round of 16 vs Barcelona - subbed off at half time):
    See this:
    http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/alexis_sánchez/126/126/1581/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/sergio_agüero/126/126/564/0/p#shot_accuracy/attack_score/defence_score/possession_score/total_forward_passes/total_backward_passes/successful_passes/key_passes/assists/avg_pass_length/goals_scored/goals_from_penalties/shots_outside_area/shots_inside_area/tackles_won/successful_take_ons/successful_take_ons_%/total_duels_%/fouls_suffered/interceptions/errors_leading_to_goal#total

It started with the observation that the likes of Costa, Oscar and Hazard are 'punished' because of the way the team is set up. And not because of they lack something, but ironically because of their abilities (not the least Diego Costa his abilities because without his input the dynamic gameplan doesn't work).

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure what "behaving like one (Argie)" means exactly, I guess I do like all dulce de leche pastries, so maybe that means I behave like one? And be serious, you (and no one else) have fling that at to me at least a good two dozen times, it's just very coincidental that @EdgarAllanPoet would do exactly the same.

And when have I ever "become emotionally involved and started to insult people"? Least of all you, I usually just try to engage in civil discussions even when it's clear you are extremely biased.

Not sure what you want me to comment on. I agree that Alexis is a better player than Aguero, and more instrumental for any team to succeed.

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Even if it is true, why do you bring this up suddenly?

So instead of that you quote that post of mine and adds that I'm secretly EAP....

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just leave it. It's fairly obvious what he's getting at in terms of your undying support for Argentina.

This is the type of stuff which I'm looking to eliminate. I'm going to delete any more off topic stuff here.

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I wouldn't say Sanchez is better than Aguero.

Sanchez is having a very good season but he was very inconsistent at Barcelona. He missed tons of sitters.

Aguero has been very consistent for City for years aside from when he had injuries. But he was still an important player in them winning 2 titles league titles.