Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

carlito86, ko242 and benficafan3 repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sorry, by Google translate:

"Messi has played 40 classicos. In each of the first 38 made, at least, a shot (either on target, off target, post or blocked). In the last two (one as substitute and the other as a starter) has not done any shot (and still Barca has eliminated Madrid)."

Was not bad though, better than Dembele or Vinicius for example.

4. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I watched the game last night, and his playmaking was still pretty good, but no where near world-class. I'd agree though, not his greatest performance, but honestly, Barcelona didn't play well in the first half at all. In the 2nd half, not much better, but they were clinical when it mattered.

Performance like this makes you wonder if they have what it takes to win the UCL.

carlito86 and ko242 repped this.
  5. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Messi doesn't need more than make some long passes for Alba, a move that everyone knows, to be called a great playmaker.

6. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Great analysis. But I think people put Barca on an unrealistic standard. Its insane. First in CL, Barca shut down Lyon to nothing in the 2nd half of their game. Lyon was forced to park the bus like a small team at HOME. A team that beat PSG a week or two before the match. While man city struggles against a weak and poor form team at schalke and barely wins against them. They played well by no stretch of the imagination. It was ugly to watch. Yet, sterling and sane were being praised and I didnt see any negativity. Real madrid got destroyed by Ajax in terms of all round play. Bayern Munich was far from impressive.

Barcelona just beat real Madrid 3-0 AWAY from home!!! Yes Madrid played better but which team has ever beaten madrid 3-0 at the bernabau???!!!
    With a Messi that looked disinterested. As long as I can remember Barca was the last team to do that!

This is like Messi not in contention for last year's WPOY despite him being top goal scorer in all top 5 leagues. Dude won 2 titles, carried Barca and it wasnt enough. Suarez didnt play well and neither dembele or coutinho did much to support Messi last season. People wanted valverde fired despite not losing more than 3 games the whole season!

My god!! The pressure at Barca is astronomical!!!

7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6807 carlito86, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Madrid have the 2nd worst defensive record by any top 10 La Liga teams
    They have been shipping in goals by the bucketload( and not just against Barcelona)

It’s easily the worst season Ramos and Marcelo have played whilst they have been Madrid players
    The worst ever season by a current ballon dor holder etc...
    The only bright light is a 18 year old who cannot finish and karim benzema has done quite well IMO under the circumstances

8. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    You still didnt answer the question. You dodged around it. Typical. How many teams have beaten madrid 3-0 at the bernabau???
    Its a simple answer. That's your problem @carlito86.
    And barcelona still gets criticized. It's remarkable. Barcelona have set astronomical standards for themselves. Its not good enough to win 3-0 at the bernabau.
    Barcelona are still in contention for all trophies (the treble). And a good position at that. But they're still being questioned as whether they are good enough to win CL.

You cant name me one team who wins the double in any top league and the coach is still under fire despite losing 3 games all season(17/18). No team has standards like Barcelona. THAT IS FACT!

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Your buying too much into the hype
    Barcelona have been in this situation practically every season around feb-March
    this time around Madrid have just been going through a torrid time and they (Barcelona)have rightfully capitalised on that

What happened to Ancelotti with the domestic double at Chelsea
    He got sacked(not speculation and media fantasies)
    Does Chelsea have standards like Barcelona

Like I said around feb In nearly season over the last 8-9 years Barcelona have been leading in the league
    Still in the Copa Del Rey
    And still in the champions league
    Everything will start unravelling now(hopefully) in the QF or SF like it has been for the past 3-4 years

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you spend 120m on Dembele and 160m on Coutinho, and you still have Messi, expectations will be high. You're not going to play like that and not get criticized.

Barca played a bad game and were merely opportunistic while counting on Madrid's bad shooting.

11. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Surely, you understand why a team like Barcelona gets questioned when they played like they just did. People expect you to not just win, but dominate, or at least look good, when you're one of the best teams in the world.

The other side of the coin is when they were at their peak, listening to some of their fans, you'd think they could cure cancer, solve global poverty, wrestle a tornado, and resurrect Beethoven and Freddy Mercury for a once an an eternity concert.

Bavarian14 and carlito86 repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #6812 PuckVanHeel, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Contentious opinion maybe, but I see the same with Vinicius Junior. For all the marketing and orchestrated hype by the Sid Lowe's and Hayward's, he can't shoot and his decision making and passing is suspect (nowhere near Ribery or Robben level).

He has a good dribble though and has become pacier and muscular (beefed up and more pace than one or two years ago, so who knows where this ends). Although he has already copied the 'Neymar roll' I like it he is not showboating and overcomplicating things.

This might as well fit in @peterhrt his thread on modern football competitions and club consolidation.

Here is an interesting article from this week:

Especially the references to employers having influence on their employees were intriguing in that article.

The wages of footballers have increased, but the wages to turnover (despite the influx of external money) has actually decreased to the lowest level since 1997 according to Deloitte and UEFA, although FCB is now on a high level. Wages to turnover in the EPL is now 55%.

This might be reflective of that the club scene has become stratified (and consolidated) and thus the relative bargaining power of players has decreased (something FFP contributed to, to decreasing the bargaining position of players).

Then add in the politics (and carte blanches for certain circles) around drugs and such and one gets an idea about where the power is located. As mentioned in the other thread, the elite clubs now formally co-own the Champions League.

peterhrt repped this.
  13. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    #6813 ko242, Mar 1, 2019
    Barcelona's expectations didnt go up when dembele and coutinho came. They were there wayyyy before the arrival of dembele and coutinho. And the guardiolas season caused it. Dembele hardly even played last season (17-18). He was practically not a part of the season due to arriving late and the injury. Coutinho came at the half way mark and couldnt play CL football. The fact is, valverde was going to get fired after winning a la liga and copa del Rey and losing 3 games all year!!! Please tell me, how many coaches does that happen too????

By the way, obviously despite winning those things what hurt Valverde is obviously the way they lost to Roma. They played very poorly in both games and gave up a 4-1 lead to Roma, of all teams

14. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    #6814 ko242, Mar 1, 2019
    Do you think before you write? What hype am I believing. Its other people saying Barca isnt good enough to win CL after defeating Madrid 3-0 at the bernabau. If anything I'm reassuring people that there is nothing wrong with Barcelona. And that these other top teams have done nothing to prove that they are in a different league than Barcelona.
    @carlito86, I'm begging you. Show me any evidence of something that any team has done this season to show proof that Barcelona isnt good enough to win CL this year. Between Atletico, Madrid, Man City, Bayern, Liverpool, PSG, tell me 1 thing, that any of these teams have shown this season to prove Barca has no chance of winning CL!!! The problem with many people and the media is that one game changes everything that has happened for the whole season. There is no perspective.

What the???? Chelsea didnt win the league in Ancelottis last year for Chelsea when he got fired.

So if this is true, then why is everyone making a deal out of barcelonas situation. If its so predicatable????
    Their in the final of the copa del Rey and they are number 1 in La Liga, with a decent lead. Just like almost every year. So why even mention Barcas situation in CL if its so predictable.

@carlito86 you are not the brightest individual. Winning a trophy has nothing to do with what you did last season or 3 years ago.
    -Leicester City winning EPL
    -Chelsea winning CL in 12.
    -Bayern winning CL in 13 after many years of not winning.
    -Barca winning in 06 after many years of not winning.
    -Manchester winning CL in 08 after many years of not winning
    -Atletico winning la liga in 14.
    -do you need more examples????

@carlito86 are you okay??? I'm worried about you. This is extremely poor logic. I hope everything in life is ok.

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You are definitely buying into the media hype
    When you say “everyone” is discounting Barcelona’s chances who exactly are you referring to?
    Barcelona has as great a chance as any team and I haven’t seen anything that would suggest otherwise(certainly in terms of results)

The press have to sell papers and they will churn out whatever nonesense they can to achieve that end,Only gullible people believe this garbage.
    There is a narrative being concocted that Barcelona are this seasons underdogs so if they overachieve there will a be a huge orgasmic reaction about how such a poor “mediocre team” was able to win multiple trophies(like they have been doing every single year because they have been a great team every single year since at least 2009)

It’s just a waste of time(not you but these media stories)

ko242 repped this.
  16. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Ok. Thats understandable. I just heard a few comments and saw 1 or 2 articles

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. The CL loss to Roma was unacceptable but he kept his job. Also they weren't playing well enough to go undefeated until the next to last game in La Liga. They got lucky a bunch.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vinicius passing is actually decent. You're also comparing an 18 year old with players that have full careers.

Neymar roll ? How about Robben dive / roll ?

19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #6820 PuckVanHeel, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019

1102696690967105536 is not a valid tweet id

1102665143647981568 is not a valid tweet id

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Brych

I will win either way. If ajax wins I'm happy and if they don't also happy.

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    ... apparently requested to not officiate

1102917510561705984 is not a valid tweet id

:D

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ajax didn't win the 1st game because of their own doing. Poor finishing.

ko242 and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #6823 PuckVanHeel, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    1103057492077174784 is not a valid tweet id

1103047675249872902 is not a valid tweet id

---> The Real Madrid scorer for getting this number was Marco Asensio. Who has a Dutch mother and is named after... yes.
    ---> Real Madrid's heaviest home defeat ever in the EC/CL
    ---> Only seven times in the entire EC/CL a team progressed after losing the first leg at home. Ajax having three of them.
    ---> The first time ever Real Madrid was eliminated after winning their first leg (also happened once in the UEFA Cup; by Danish club Odense in 1994-95, with Laudrup playing for Madrid and actually producing).
    ---> Sergio Ramos picked a deliberate booking in the first leg and was recording a documentary about himself today and tonight.
    ---> This time a four minutes long VAR intervention didn't cancel a (fifty-fifty) goal.

Crucial for the coefficients ranking too so the other clubs have sent their congratulations and 'thanks'.

Bavarian14 repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Today, they finished their chances. Should have been similar in the 1st leg.

ko242 and PuckVanHeel repped this.