Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    @carlito86 These are not similar. Ronaldo has to score from extreme right to the top left corner which he definitely didn't do in the above videos. My point is Messi can't score from certain angles and distance that Cristiano can do and vice-versa

2. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    By the way Cris was awful against Young Boys last night. Missed a crap load of chances

3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6403 carlito86, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Dude that was as far right as one couid possibly be without scoring a direct corner kick.
    I have yet to see a FK by Messi from any distance or angle that Ronaldo couldn’t score

Note:
    Yeah ronaldo was shit yesterday but I fail to see how this links into what is being discussed right now
    Everyone is allowed a bad day at the office once in a while

Also remember his age he is nearly a pensioner in football years
    19AE551D-80CF-4748-88E4-A4228134796C.jpeg 7CFC7B3C-55A1-450A-B5D1-F4273D05DE75.jpeg 80C46D5C-A6E3-47ED-B84E-D2CE55841F95.jpeg
    He is doing relatively well in comparison

4. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    #6404 Bavarian14, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Those are not the same at all. For example the goals you mentioned above are similar to the one Messi scored in this video

But it's definitely not a 45° curler like the one he scored against Atletico or USA. Got it?

5. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
  6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That would’ve been a great comp weren’t it for the terrible choice of music
    In any case Messi being left footed took it from the right And ronaldo being right footed took it from the left
    Same result ,same acute angle but just from a different side

If you would like you can ask a neutral poster which FK required a higher level of technique
    That was also a rarity for Messi usually he just takes them from 25 yards and bends them over the wall a la Ronaldinho,pirlo,Beckham,etc

He can’t score knuckleballs or 30-40 yard FKs like a Didi,Rivellino,Juninho,and CR7
    All of whom could also bend it over the walk in the so called “classical aesthetically pleasing way”
    At the end of the day the end result is the same just different styles

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    A ridiculous assist form Messi:

[​IMG]

- 14 goals and 10 assists in 14 La Liga matches this season (only 1 penalty).
    - 6 goals and 1 assist in 4 CL matches.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    20 goals & 11 assists in 18 matches overall

Edhardy and carlito86 repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Messi's FK range is pretty broad though. There's a reason why he has more FK goals than any other team over the past 5 seasons or so. While other teams are using different players depending on the spot of the FK, Messi is taking pretty much all of Barca's FKs, whether they're a on the edge of the box or far away, on the left side or on the right side. Pretty much anywhere from one corner flag to the other & within 35 yards and he's the first choice to take the kick.

9. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017

This guy is a potential Ballon d'Or candidate if he keeps improving like this

10. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Isn't he making headlines like every other week over some attitude problem? Given how competitive the award is probably going to be in the post-Messi/CR7 world, does he has the professionalism to reach the very top?

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nope. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is already close to his peak level. Guys like that rarely if ever improve much after their early twenties...

12. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    Like Ronaldinho or Romario were very professional? Given he can win Champions league in the post-Messi era scoring some crucial goals the idea isn't far fetched

13. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    This is a relatively old post but the reason you don't find that impressive is because you're an idiot.

That stat refers to All-Time Champions League appearances, so, since the beginning of the Champions League in the 1992-1993 season. Ronaldo and Messi were children then, yet found a way to surpass all these clubs in goals scored with respect to the competition that each of these clubs participated in since its birth.

Why you arbitrarily refer to the 2009-2010 season to make your point is anyone's guess. I assume it has to do with the initial sentence of my post.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think I see what he means though, he just used an odd example. With cup competitions you are going to get weird stats because some teams play a lot more games than others. I mean, Harry Kane scored more goals than all except 7 other entire countries in the last World cup. And he wasn't even that amazing.

In the case of European football there are about 8 to 10 traditional powers so any stat of the nature "... more than all except 9 teams" doesn't come across as that impressive sounding to me (even if it is).

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo by himself has scored more champions goals since 2006 than the combined efforts of every single juventus player.
    Including Del piero,Trezeguet,Higuaín,Tevez,every midfielder,every defender over the past 13 years has scored a combined total 106 CL
    Goals compared to 120 by ronaldo

While he was busy scoring more goals than the combined efforts of juventus he was also
    Out assisting every single player in the champions league

It sounds impressive because it is impressive
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....goals-than-juventus-in-champions-league-56559

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
  17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Goals per game ratio is missing (NO SURPRISE)
    What do you expect from a pro Barcelona source?

Messi 329 league goals in 309 matches:1.06

Ronaldo 311 league goals in 292 matches:1.07

when ronaldo/Messi were “supposedly” competing in the champions league 2009-2018

Top Scorer awards
    Ronaldo:6
    Messi:4

GOALS

Ronaldo
    105 goals in 101 games:1.04

Messi 83 goals in 92 games:0.92

ASSISTS

Ronaldo:
    28 assists in 101 games:0.28

Messi
    20 assists in 92 games:0.22

Most CL goals:ronaldo
    Most CL assists:ronaldo
    Most away CL goals:ronaldo
    Most champions league knockout goals:ronaldo
    Most goals in finals:ronaldo
    Most goals in semifinals:ronaldo
    Most goals in quarter finals:ronaldo
    Most goals in a single season:ronaldo
    Most goals in a single year:ronaldo
    Most goals in a single groupstage:ronaldo
    2nd most goals in a season:ronaldo
    3rd most goals in a season:ronaldo
    Most hat tricks in a single season:ronaldo
    Most freekicks:ronaldo
    Most headers:ronaldo
    Most penalties:ronaldo
    Most goals without penalties:ronaldo
    Most consecutive matches scored in:ronaldo
    Etc....................................................

http://messivsronaldo.net/records/

Where is the competition because I just don’t see it

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, 120 goals is impressive. What I'm saying is that some poor guy spent all day to try to make an impressive stat sound even more impressive, but it has the opposite effect on me. Now you're doing the same thing. Take "more goals than Juventus since 2006" for example. First thing that pops into my head when I hear that is Juve were in Serie B during or around 2006. It wasn't until 2012-13 that they became a regular participant in CL team again (and then still playing fewer CL games per season than Real Madrid).

Outscoring a team that's not playing is not impressive sounding... :coffee:

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This season Juventus has a whole lot more goals than Ronaldo in CL though. :ROFLMAO:

BocaFan repped this.
  20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    #6420 TitoTata, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    They're both amazing players .
    Messi plays for his team and his goals / stats are secondary .
    Ronaldo plays for himself, therein lies the difference..

It's all down to preference and which generation you're from..

I'd guess in ten years people will still be discussing who's the best of all time ..

Pele , Maradona , Zidane or Messi - those seem to be generally accepted as the "elite " .

I was born in 1958 and even saw Eusebio play in the "flesh" .
    I rated Eusebio ahead of Pele even though it was more fashionable to go with Pele .

For what it's worth I rate Zidane as easily the best EVER player .. oh and I'm English not French [emoji4]

BocaFan repped this.
  21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Cristiano Ronaldo also has a whole more champions league goals than
    Romario+Rivaldo+Neymar+R9+Kaka combined

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    All team players ....

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The whole world including zidane himself accepted CR7 is better than him
    Cristiano’s the best player in the history of football. What he’s doing, no-one has done before him. He’s awesome.
    Who was better, Cristiano or me? Clearly me! All jokes aside, he’s much better, but I didn’t have a bad game…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....r-ever-says-zidane_sto6436940/story-amp.shtml
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ano-ronaldo-zinedine-zidane-a7770631.html?amp

@TitoTata get with the program

24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Team players who all without exception assisted less than ronaldo

Edit
    Romario/R9 are “team players”but Cristiano is not LMFAO
    I told you to send me via FedEx some of that strong stuff you’ve been smoking
    I’m still waiting!!!

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Ok I'll give you Romario :)

It was a simple generalisation .
    Don't tell me Kaka was an out and out goal poacher though ..