Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Maybe, but the CR7 story surely will

1048875198655713280 is not a valid tweet id

True or not true, it will lose him votes.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've seen this written in a few places, that this rumor affected his call up for Portugal. AFAIK he made it sort of clear after the WC he was taking a break from the NT and wasn't called for the Sept. games before the story broke.

Her lawyers responded by saying if the questionnaire is altered, to show the unaltered one. Bluff call.

3. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He didn't play the first internationals after WC, he wasn't going to play these either

Ronaldo's lawyers said documents were leaked by a lot of media outlets, not that these specific documents were leaked, how can you misunderstand that really

Imo these documents are bullshit

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Christiansen added that the media acted "irresponsibly" by basing reports on "stolen and easily manipulated digital documents."

"The documents that allegedly contain statements by Mr Ronaldo and were reproduced in the media are pure inventions. By 2015, dozens of entities (including law firms) in different parts of Europe were attacked and their electronic data stolen by a cyber criminal."

Nothing has been proven and perhaps nothing will be able to be proved.

Having said that, these document leaks seems to be historically spot on. Like Ronaldo's (and I believe Messi's as well) tax issues which initially came out via leaks.

5. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    obviously leaks can be real, depends on who the source is. so, can you please tell us who Football-leaks is and why their documents should be considered authentic?

the lawyers said there was a leak. if the documents leaked to online, they could have been doctored and sold to. that's their defense and its believable. do you know what hack they're talking about?

6. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    And here we go again...

BTW the voting deadline for the Ballon this year is friday November 9th. Just got this confirmed by the Norwegian voter.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You know I don't know the answer to that question (who they are). As to why they should be believed ... well, they leaked his "tax scheme" last year and was subsequently found guilty. Last year they leaked this NDA with the rape allegation saying he paid 375k and at the very least that part has turned out to be true (NDA and payment) ... mind you Ronaldo's reps said last year that the whole thing was a piece of fiction. Seems like they were counting on her not speaking up because of the NDA. They even said that last year ... that the victim was not willing to speak up as a proof that it was made up. The problem would just naturally go away.

Leaks can happen in various manners. It can come from hackers but it can also come from a disgruntled employee. I have no idea what leak event they are talking about. It could very well be made up.

I am not sure I believe that documents were tampered with. Just the fact that the person had documents showing that Ronaldo had an incident where he paid a woman off is already valuable enough information that can be sold for good money. I guess the person could be that sick to tamper with the documents to make him look guilty ... maybe it's personal.

8. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lawyers mentioned a hack specifically so why I care about disgruntled employee leaks here

People get swat teams sent to private homes just for shits and giggles, imagine if they got paid for it

9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Interesting thread.

10. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Seems like Team CRonaldo (Jorge Mendes) has got the Gazzetta on their payroll now, he gets rewarded with a "Man of the Match"-rating of 7.5 vs ManUtd:ROFLMAO: How the hell is that possible for that quite ordinary performance? In a game his team dominated from start to finish as well. For comparisons sake they gave Messi an 8 vs Tottenham.

leadleader repped this.
  11. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Insigne has been up there this season.

12. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, he has been good. Is it just me or does he have a habit of playing really well at the start of the season?

So far this SEASON Messi has been the best player by a mile, with Hazard, Mbappé, Neymar etc. making up the field. Impressive goal output from players like Piatek, Stuani, Aspas, Sala and co.

Personally, after Madrid's very poor start to the season, I am actually starting to have my doubts regarding Modric winning Ballon d'Or. Put 300 euros on CR winning it, getting 8 times the money back if it's happening :) I remember last year CR was pretty terrible in the first part of the season and still won it comfortably. But the "rules" are a bit different when it comes to other players so it is worth a punt IMO.

13. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    That is true about Insigne and not only that but it seems he improves every season especially when a new manager arrives.

CR7 has to be on that list bro. Far and away Juve's best player so far this season and probably his best start to a season since 2014.

14. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The problem with that logic is, of course, that Messi and Hazard play on competitive leagues... Ronaldo plays on a league that Juventus has won 7 out of 7 times in the last 7 years... At any rate, I think that some perspective should be appreciated given the fact that Ronaldo now plays in a league where he has no competition and no real rival.

On a different note: it very much increasingly appears to be the case that - like @DazerII and @PuckVanHeel mentioned before it was obvious - Modric is now overrated, after so many years of being underrated. Modric 2018 actually reminds me of Pirlo 2012 a bit, in terms of getting a lot of credit and exposure in the twilight of his prime, when he had arguably been better in most of all of the previous seasons (where he had been underrated).

15. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    In a league with no competition or real rival? You are severely underrating Serie A and it seems as tho you have not kept up with the league these past few seasons. Last season Juventus did not touch first place til round 27 and only won the league due to extreme luck vs Inter and Napoli choke job. The only reason Juventu has such a gap this season is because Ronaldo has single handily been winning Juve to victory. Also dont forget Serie A has been kicking the Prems ass in Europe this season with a record of 3-0 atm.

I dont see the Modric 2018 being similar to Pirlo 2012. Modric has been touted as the best midfielder in the world since 2015 and his World Cup was not on the level of Pirlo's Euro.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Juve last season won 10 out of its first 12 games. The year before they won 11 out of first 13. This year they have won 9 out of 10. Not that much different. But main difference has been others haven't kept up.

But yeah, Napoli and Roma have put up a fight last 2 seasons.

17. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Juve has had a relatively easy schedule thus far. One match against Napoli and mostly minnows. Once they play more matches against Roma, Napoli, and Inter they will probably drop more points. The Seria A isn't really a weak league (close to EPL in level) but Juventus is the only superteam so for them winning the league isn't that special.

18. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Thing is defense and mid is nowhere near 2011-16. Without Ronaldo we would have dropped more points by now. Empoli game was a great example of this.......

19. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #5845 leadleader, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Juventus sold Bonucci to AC Milan didn't they? The successful defensive pair of Chiellini-Bonucci was definitely a factor that contributed to Juventus' decline in 2017/18, and now that Bonucci is back, and now that Ronaldo was also signed, you suddenly get extremely similar results as when Juventus was dominating the league. At any rate, Juventus has won 7 out of 7 league titles in the last 7 years, and that simply doesn't paint a nice picture about the competitive level of the league; not to mention the sad state of Italy's national side, which is suffering from the lack of truly elite talents produced locally by Italy i.e. by the Italian Serie A.

Which brings me to the following point: Cristiano Ronaldo - a player who arguably wasn't better in La Liga than Suarez was at any point in the last 3 years - Cristiano Ronaldo comes into the Serie A, and with no adaptation time whatsoever single-handedly becomes the only reason why Juventus is winning all the games... I mean, doesn't that further demonstrates that the Serie A is not very competitive in recent times?

JoCryuff98 repped this.
  20. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Juventus with or without Ronaldo would yield the same results in the league. It’s kinda ironic that Ronaldo fanboys are claiming gibberish like he single handedly made Juventus a way better team when in reality he’s benefiting from poor competition in Serie A.

21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think I might be missing the point.
    What is the correlation between ronaldo apparently not being better than Suarez in La Liga over the past 3 years and him being absolutely crucial to juventus so far this season?

Suarez is meant to be the best number 9 of this era is he not?
    Suarez was also at his peak while ronaldo wasn’t wouldn’t you also agree.

It took also ronaldo no time whatsoever whatsoever to settle in La Liga scoring in his first 4 La Liga games which is something no Real Madrid player has ever done before in history

It is a mark of how good ronaldo is as a player that he takes relatively little to no time to settle into a new team and league not how poor serie a is apparently meant to be

Btw we are all still waiting for your latest edition of conspiracy theories on how Real Madrid were carrying Ronaldo and how he was such a detriment to them
    They are practically the exact same team that won 3 consecutive champions league titles but where are they in the league and how many goals have they scored this season

The whole world including Barcelona players themselves can plainly see that a Madrid without ronaldo is still a great team but no longer a special one
    With ronaldo In you team there is a higher probability you will win a match on any given day considering his record dictates he is involved in a least a goal per match over a 10 year span

Real Madrid are one of the best teams in the world and they have a great squad [but] it's evident that the absence of Ronaldo makes them less good and makes Juventus [one of the] clear favourites to win the Champions League,"
    Lionel Messi
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....akes-surprise-comment-about-cristiano-ronaldo

Real Madrid remain a top team, either with or without Cristiano. However, they’ve lost a lot. At least 50-60 goals per season. He is an incredible player. Not just for the goals but also for his assists. He is simply unreplaceable
    Pep Guardiola
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....says-madrid-miss-one-thing-without-rona-13458

You seem to be unable to comprehend or accept this demonstrable fact
    Ronaldos influence on a team is far greater than you are willing to give him credit for

22. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    France Football doing a big interview with CR, magazine comes out tomorrow I think. I strongly believe this is a sign of things to come; he will win the Ballon come December. France Football, the ones handing out the award, are accepting (or maybe even begging?) being used as a mouthpiece for CR re Ballon propaganda (I deserve to win etc.) and defending of the rapist claimes. Didn't see that coming actually.

23. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I never for one second entertained the idea of Luka Modric winning the Ballon d'Or. The Ballon d'Or is automatically for Cristiano Ronaldo, each and every single year that Lio Messi fails to win the Champions League... it really is as plain and as simple as that.

At any rate, I think that Ronaldo's abysmal performances vs. Uruguay at World Cup 2018, and his mediocre performance vs. Bayern Munich at the Champions League Semi Finals, and him having gotten comprehensively outclassed by Messi in La Liga... I think that that should already be more-than-enough for Ronaldo to not win the Ballon d'Or, but again, Ronaldo is simply going to win the Ballon d'Or on the basis of suspect and dubious arguments, as was also the case in 2013 and 2016.

Afghan-Juventus and pregra repped this.
  24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Judging by most of your rhetoric ive reached the conclusion that you are living in a alternate universe where ronaldo is a 3rd tier division player and Messi is the king of the entire universe

1.)Ronaldo hasn’t won the ballon dor
    2.)you don’t know if he will or won’t win the ballon dor

There is no conspiracy against Lionel Messi my friend
    Messi comprehensively outclassed ronaldo you claim In La Liga
    Well Neymar JR comprehensively outclassed Messi last season as a dribbler and playmaker (and he continues to do so)and was a demonstrably better performer in the 17/18 champions league season

Why aren’t you actively advocating for a player who actually deserves the ballon dor more than Messi?
    Why does the ballon dor (an award that holds little value in today’s climate)feature in at least 70% of your posts ?