Next Ballon d'Or winner that isn't CR7 or LM10 (and when)?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BocaFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Leadleader does make a good point. It is possible that in 10-13, ronaldo was boosting his statistics to the detriment of the team. Given that he takes sooo many shots from difficult angles where more calculated chances could be created had he decided to make a play closer to goal. It is also interesting that even when Barcelona was on the decline in 11-12 to 13-14, Real Madrid was not as successful as 15-18 when CR7s role in games greatly decreased. Because ronaldo was restricted to playing simple passes, staying in the box, and not taking shots from difficult angles, then Real Madrid was probably able to become more efficient with their Ball possession. Given as leadleader said, that Ronaldo in 11-14 was a result of getting a lot of chances in which he was not the orchestrator of the play, nor did he create chances out of nothing. If this were the case, then it would be a different story. Case being, that Real Madrid were not capable of consistently making such plays. At man united, Ronaldo was not constantly taking the same amount of difficult shots that he did at Real Madrid.

leadleader repped this.
  2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo was ABSOLUTELY the protagonist in the ko stages of the 13/14 champions league
    In the R16 vs schalke he was relentless
    He Scored 4 goals(no pen)+2 backheel assists+1 pre assist
    In addition to the multiple shots on target and chances created

In 60 mins playing time vs Dortmund he scored what ultimately proved to be the winning goal in a 3-2 aggregate win

In the champions league semi he created or scored 3 of the 5 goals scored by his team(including the winner)

In the final he was injured but still scored an inconsequential penalty to make it 4-1 and registered a basic assist on Marcelo to make it 3-1

remind me the last time messi or any player for that matter had a hand in 12 goals in a single cl ko stage season

3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  4. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The logical problem with excusing or justifying Ronaldo's bad speculative shots vs. Manchester City (in the home), is that Real Madrid's home game win vs. Manchester City was literally Real Madrid's first group stage game by Real Madrid. So how could Real Madrid be desperate to win already in their very first Champions League game that season??

The first group game, played at Madrid, was no time to be getting THAT desperate. Anyways... Listen my friend, I appreciate your more civilized and friendly tone as of late, really appreciate that, but we fundamentally disagree about many things about Ronaldo. For one thing, in his Real Madrid prime I never thought of CR7 as one of the Top 5 dribblers in the game, and that is relevant in this specific discussion because Ronaldo vs. Manchester City could have easily registered 2 assists, generated by his dribbling ability alone... So to me, that means that a better dribbler given that same service - Joaquin in his prime for example - would have registered 2 or even 3 assists in that game. Ronaldo decided to take wild swings at goal, in situations where assists were far easier (and ergo more efficient) to come by.

0:57 -- 1:27 / Very good dribbling run by Ronaldo, which he followed up with excellent ball retention in the wide area, which he then followed up with a low cross that could've become an assist... I wouldn't call the resulting chance a clear-cut chance, but at the very least I'd call that a half-chance (and I assume that a lot of people - maybe even the majority of fans - would define that as a clear-cut chance), created out of nothing. At any rate, excellent play.

1:27 -- 2:00 / Very good dribbling run but unfortunately not a good cross, not a good cross even if Ronaldo himself was on the end of it. It still stands out as a positive due to the fact that Ronaldo generated that out of nothing, so even with the disappointing cross, that still inherently counts as ball retention even if the end product was not quite missing (in an absolute sense) but also definitely not good.

1:59 -- 2:14 /
    Ronaldo assisted with a one-versus-one situation against the goalkeeper, fails to score the clear-cut goal, then was lucky enough to get a second chance after the desperate clearance by Manchester City -- the result is a relatively easy assist that Ronaldo should have produced, but Ronaldo did not passed the ball, tried to score the goal himself, and failed to score the goal. This is yet another textbook example of Ronaldo forcibly trying to be the hero to the detriment of Real Madrid, and after already having wasted excellent service by Real Madrid.

2:59 -- 3:11 / Another great situation where Ronaldo was simply standing still and Real Madrid delivered more excellent service, this time a deadly counter-attack, but Ronaldo held to the ball for too long and was dispossessed before he could pass the ball, in a situation where Ronaldo SHOULD HAVE passed the ball several seconds before he was dispossessed. Ronaldo was plain bad in this play, killed off Madrid's counter attack due to his reluctance to pass the ball in a situation where he could might as well try another shot from a gazillion yards out.

3:36 -- 3:50 / Another great situation served on a silver-platter, and Ronaldo again failed to deliver the world class cross that the situation deserved. Maybe this is why Ronaldo doesn't cross the ball?? Not a terrible cross but also definitely not a good cross in a situation where it was plainly easy to deliver the cross that the situation asked for. The cross SHOULD HAVE BEEN aimed to the player closest to the goal, instead, the cross was aimed at the player who was further away from goal, therefore the player who was closest to the goal (who was expecting the incoming cross) and the player who was further away from the goal (who was not expecting the incoming cross) got confused and almost stumbled against each other, the resulting header was a difficult one in a crowded area. Ronaldo could have and probably should have done better with that cross. At any rate, even if Ronaldo delivers the perfect cross here, it would still be a team play where you would expect a world class crosser of the ball (as Ronaldo is credited to be) to deliver the cross, given the fact that the cross-provider was completely free from defensive pressure and therefore should be expected to deliver a pinpoint cross-assist.

4:09 -- 4:39 / Ronaldo shoots the ball from a gazillion yards out, this is what he tried to do in that other play where he was dispossessed, but in this play it was the correct decision for a change. On the other hand, the shot was directly aimed at the goalkeeper, so even though it was the correct decision, Ronaldo's shot was badly aimed in a situation where Ronaldo was free enough from defensive pressure that he had no defender close enough to block the shot, ergo, a situation where Ronaldo really should've delivered a more dangerous shot. This is another instance of Ronaldo benefitting from very good service, but not doing anything with it.

4:39 -- 5:08 / Another good pass for Ronaldo who only has one defender to beat, if he dribbles past that one defender he could possibly find himself in a situation where he could deliver a relatively simple cross-assist, instead, Ronaldo lacked composure when dribbling with the ball, kicked the ball forwards and tried to run after it as he always did in his Real Madrid career, and the defender easily dealt with the situation. Now I'm not saying that this was a clear-cut situation where Ronaldo could deliver a cross-assist, I'm just saying that it was a good situation for a dribbling player, and Ronaldo was not much of a dribbling threat at that stage in his career; Ronaldo could complete very specific dribbling runs, but that type of dribbling run was exactly the type of run where Ronaldo was exposed as a kick-and-run one dimensional dribbler.

5:10 -- 5:24 / Ronaldo tries to unlock the defence by running at the defence, and Ronaldo is (yet again) exposed as a player who lacks the pure dribbling ability to unlock a defence when he has to dribble past at least 2 defenders. Ronaldo tries and fails to shake the defenders off, then also tries to shot at goal, the shot is blocked by said 2 defenders in front of Ronaldo, and in the end it was an easy save for the goalkeeper.

5:59 -- 6:10 / Ronaldo again tries to do everything by himself, and it obviously doesn't work. This is as much a failure of Ronaldo himself as much as it is Real Madrid's failure to give Ronaldo a platform that allows him and also actively encourages him to do that. This is, again, my opinion: with some other player who is a better dribbler and therefore more of a pure dribbler (as opposed to a one dimensional kick-and-run dribbler such as Ronaldo already was at that stage in his career) to advance play via pure dribbling (as Ronaldo tried and largely failed to do), and with Ronaldo playing a much more limited role similar to the role that he played in the 2016-2018 Zidane era... I think that Ronaldo would've been even more of a revelation in 2012-13 as back then he still had age on his side, he could be more consistent in the long La Liga campaign, he also was definitely a more dangerous dribbling threat who could score several dribbling goals per season, etc.

6:33 -- 6:44 / Good dibbling run by Ronaldo, albeit in a relatively harmless position, but it still was good dribbling and could've gotten the opponent yellow carded.

6:46 -- 7:00 / Ronaldo tries again his kick-and-run dribbling style, and again the defender deals with it with ease. Ronaldo for some reason lost a lot of dribbling ability at a young age... As early as in 2011-12 Ronaldo was already a kick-and-run type dribbler. As a reference, Thierry Henry in his Barcelona days - after his better years - was a more composed and a better winger-dribbler than Ronaldo was at any point in his 2011-2014 Real Madrid years. Such a claim may sound ridiculous to the casual fan, but it's actually true. Thierry Henry somehow became a more composed winger-dribbler the slower he got, which coincided with his Barcelona years. In contrast, Ronaldo just lacked dribbling-composure very early in his career... I've watched a lot of situations that are ideal for world class winger-dribblers, where Ronaldo just kicks-and-runs after the ball, with the defender easily neutralizing Ronaldo. I mean, I honestly cannot think of another winger-dribbler who declined quite as heavily and as early as Ronaldo did. And I repeat: Ronaldo in 2011-2014 could still dribble in very specific situations, but in winger-dribbler type situations Ronaldo very often looked like a one dimensional kick-and-run dribbler who lacked the composure that he used to have.

Overall / A sensational start to the game by Ronaldo, but then immediately followed by a bad miss by Ronaldo and in fact two bad misses by Ronaldo because Ronaldo failed to pass the ball after the deflection... Furthermore, those 2 bad misses were followed by a lot of inefficiency all around: Ronaldo killed off a deadly counter attack because he wouldn't pass the ball, also thoroughly failed at dribbling in almost all his other dribbling attempts (with the exception of one dribbling run in a rather harmless position on the pitch), also failed to test the goalkeeper after being assisted with the ideal type of service to score a long range goal (Ronaldo's is supposed to be great at that but his long range effort was aimed directly at the goalkeeper, and also the shot didn't dip so it was an easy save for the goalkeeper), also failed to deliver the cross that a clear-cut situation required, etc. Overall, definitely not a good performance in my book, but also not a bad performance. I prefer to watch this performance as opposed to the home performance, but the home performance was arguably a better performance.

Ronaldo was amazing in 2012-13 but he had limitations which were repeatedly exposed in the games against the top tier clubs. In my opinion the fundamental problem was that Ronaldo was not only allowed to do too much, but also encouraged to do too much... I mean just because Ronaldo could complete a healthy number of dribbling runs per game and at the same time score a lot of goals per season, doesn't actually mean that him being allowed and encouraged to do all that, was actually better for the club. I think that Ronaldo lacked the dribbling ability and also the passing ability that was required in order to deliver the end product that would be proportional relative to the service he was getting. In other words: Ronaldo was great at very specific things, which is why he was better suited for a very specific role instead of a role that encouraged him to do anything and everything.

The Messi v Ronaldo rivalry could've been better/closer if Ronaldo had realized that fact BEFORE his age forced him to realize it... Allowing Ronaldo to do more of what he was great at, and not allowing Ronaldo to do more of what he wasn't great at, made Ronaldo a better team player and that in itself made Real Madrid a better club. It's actually nothing short of dumbfounding how this seems to work in favor of Ronaldo instead of against him.

All time? Somewhere inside the Top 10, but probably outside the Top 5. I can't think of a specific placement at the moment.

As for which players were in my opinion definitely better in their primes: Messi, Ronaldinho; and Ronaldo Brazil, stand out as obvious choices. And not to say that the following list of players are definitely better talents than Cristiano Ronaldo, but I definitely think that all out of prime Romario, prime Totti, prime Kaka, prime Ibrahimovic, prime Pirlo, prime Riquelme, prime Zidane -- I think that all of them would have been better players for Real Madrid 2011-2015. In other words, I genuinely think that Ronaldo 2011-2015 whilst statistically impressive was incredibly overrated in terms of his real value, he was allowed and also encouraged to do too much, a lot of the time to the detriment of the club. A player like Francesco Totti would've probably won more trophies with that same Real Madrid 2011-2014 side.

I mean that's my main so-called "agenda" against Ronaldo... I don't think that Ronaldo is necessarily less talented than Totti, but I definitely think that Ronaldo made himself a lesser player exclusively because being a lesser player would get him more impressive statistics but only in the specific and convenient sense whereby you willingly ignore all the off target shots, etc. In contrast, a player like Totti would never even think about statistical supremacy before footballing identity, simply because Totti was never primarily nor substantially driven by the mere perception of a two-faced statistical supremacy, which is the one thing that defines Cristiano Ronaldo. (Albeit again, Ronaldo's statistical supremacy becomes a lot less impressive when you actually take into account the actual cost of having Ronaldo play for your club, the other face of that two-faced statistical trickery.) Ronaldo's footballing identity is that he will do anything so long as he believes that that will get him perceived as the best player in the world, not necessarily because he thinks that playing like that will actually make the team better.

Portugal won the Euro Final without Ronaldo. Real Madrid won the 2016-17 La Liga after what was Ronaldo's worst La Liga campaign. Manchester United 2009 (with Ronaldo) vs. Barcelona, was not more competitive than Manchester United 2011 (without Ronaldo) was vs. Barcelona. Football is a team sport and Ronaldo has used statistics as a platform for himself, instead of as a platform for the team. I don't have an agenda against Ronaldo as much as I have an agenda against the misrepresentation of statistics, which very much seems to be what defines Ronaldo above all else.

ko242 repped this.
  5. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #5355 leadleader, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018

Hahahahaha. Real Madrid with Ronaldo scored 9 goals in 2 games vs. Schalke... but yeah... Real Madrid without Ronaldo would've probably scored 3 goals in 2 games vs. Schalke. Hahahahaha. You are hilarious my friend.

To put it in the proper chronological order:

4 goals vs. Schalke 2014 / including the 6-0 goal, the 7-1 goal, and the 8-2 goal, in what is textbook stat-padding.

1 goal vs. Borussia Dortmund 2014 / Ronaldo scored the same exact amount of goals as Isco and Bale.

2 goals vs. Bayern Munich 2014 / again the 4-0 goal and the 5-0 goal, not to mention the fact that the 4-0 goal was scored after Real Madrid had already scored 2 away goals, meaning that the Semi Final already was a 3-0 aggregate lead for Real Madrid, with 2 out of the 3 goals being away goals, which means that the Semi Final was already literally over before Ronaldo scored the 4-0 goal. And of course, Ronaldo's 5-0 goal was scored at minute 90 of the game. If stat-padding ever had a baby, it would be Ronaldo's 2013-14 CL campaign.

1 goal vs. Atletico Madrid 2014 / a penalty kick for the 4-1 goal in the final minute of extra-time. Quite probably the greatest stat-padding campaign of all time.

Messi nor any other player has ever played for a club - in modern times - that is already winning (by at least a 2 goal margin) by the time Ronaldo scored 7 out of his 8 goals in the KO stage. Yet another reminder that Ronaldo fans do not actually understand that Ronaldo plays for the statistics, not quite for the team.

And I have to ask you: Would you expect Messi to not have great statistics and/or to not have great performances playing for a club that can win the Champions League even after Messi scores ONLY ONE meaningful goal in those 7 knock out games that are the Champions League (the portion of it that actually matters)??

It still blows my mind that delusional fans like you don't appear to understand how that should actually work against Ronaldo, that the fact that Ronaldo won the CL only after Real Madrid was good enough to win the CL even if Ronaldo scored just one meaningful goal in the KO stage... How could that possibly be the argument that demonstrates that Ronaldo is arguably better than Messi?? Ronaldo assisted not even one meaningful goal in the KO stage, Ronaldo scored just one meaningful goal (same as Isco and less than Bale) in the KO stage... So what exactly does that prove about Ronaldo that Messi couldn't also replicate given the same benefit of playing for a club that can literally win without him??

It's nothing short of bizarre that Ronaldo fans such as yourself will define Ronaldo as THE PROTAGONIST of a Champions League campaign where he scored literally only one meaningful goal in the 7 games that are the KO stage (including the final as one of those 7 games). If Ronaldo was THE PROTAGONIST in 2014, then what verb should you use to define what Drogba did in 2012 or what Milito did in 2010 or what Raul did in 2002 or what Shevchenko did in 2003 or what Kaka did in 2007??

ko242, Hustle and Flow and Danko repped this.
  6. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    ^ This post is true. Ronaldo in 2014 CL literally did score just ONE meaningful goal in the knockout stage. Zero context whatsoever from some of the Cristiano community LOL....

7. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ronaldo was playing with an injury, scored only one meaningful goal out of the 5 games that actually mattered (honestly and with all due respect, I will not count games vs. Schalke), and was essentially carried by Real Madrid. The Ronaldo community has never quite come to terms with that fact... Apparently Ronaldo's abysmal World Cup in 2014 was excused by his injury, but then his injury was also not a factor when Real Madrid carried him at the Champions League, so Ronaldo being injured is only ever a factor to consider when Ronaldo doesn't win.

At any rate, you could put Shevchenko 2003 in there, or David Villa 2011 in there, or Drogba 2007 or 2012 in there, or prime Thierry Henry in there, or prime Fernando Torres in there... and it would most probably (if not certainly) be an improvement over the injured and overrated version of Ronaldo that scored a gazillion stat-padders. But anyways... Ronaldo was also allegedly THE HERO when Portugal won the Euro Final literally without Ronaldo on the pitch, so yeah, that's the level of credibility that we should expect from Ronaldo's camp.

8. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    #5358 Hustle and Flow, Jul 30, 2018
    Thanks man.

As for Messi vs Ronaldo , it's clearly always been Messi. People who think Ronaldo is the better player really see the sport in a simplistic way.

Goals= wins= greatness

Football, like many things, is only as complex as the observer can/will allow it to be.

Is CR7 a top 10 all-time player? Due to longevity and sheer production, you can certainly make a case. A lot of the truly prodigious talents in this sport were/are flawed geniuses/artists with short primes ; Ronaldo is an impersonator with a tremendous desire to be great, but he's been great for a long time.If you value the entire length of a player's career more than his peak years , then Ronaldo should probably always be included amongst the greats. He has to be commended for squeezing every last drop of his ability out of himself. But, it would be foolish to suggest his pursuit of greatness hasn't come to the detriment of his team. Of course it has. People believe that trophies can mask that reality, but it doesn't. The truly great ones make people better.

I noticed the NBA was referenced further back. Comparing CR7 and Jordan is crazy, so let's use the biggest Jordan impersonator of all-time : Kobe.

Ronaldo, like Kobe, can win things if you surround them with appropriate talent, but they don't make their teammates better.Far too narcissistic in their drive for personal glory, and honestly lack the emotional/deeper understanding of collective achievement.

Kobe was never as good as Tim Duncan despite the stats. But people who view basketball as: scoring= winning= greatness , are convinced otherwise. And hey, he has rings to back it up - so what's the problem? The problem is they don't have the ability to elevate others and to see the game outside of their ego. That's the greatest gift of all. That's the real magic. The truly special ones have it.

Messi has all the stats and trophies he needs to compare to Ronaldo. They're essentially equals in stats (compared to the other all-time greats). But Messi doesn't hurt his team in his pursuit for greatness ; he doesn't make his teammates resent him ; he creates and passes as well as anyone; his greatness can not only exist and flourish within the confines of a team , but it can help enhance those playing with him. Messi elevates others while still putting up absurd individual stats.

They aren't close in my mind, nor have they ever been close in my mind.

Messi is simply unrepeatable.

leadleader, ko242 and Edhardy repped this.
  9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #5359 carlito86, Jul 30, 2018
    WHAT ABOUT HIS ASSISTS?gosh
    Ronaldo 13/14 was not only a goalscorer as evidenced by the fact that he created the winning goal against Bayern Munich in the semi final(and then scored 2 more in the 2nd leg)

He Assisted the 1-0 goal vs schalke with a backheel pass
    Scored the 3-0 goal(solo goal)
    Assisted the 4-0(backheel pass)
    Rounded the keeper to score the 6-0 goal
    (He added to more in the 2nd leg including another solo goal)

Scored a very important goal vs Dortmund before going off injured (why did the seemingly dominant Madrid almost crumble away at Dortmund without ronaldo)
    Against atletico he was injured (so he deserves a break like baggio vs Italy 94 r9 vs france 98 or even messi vs Bayern 2014)

Stop being disingenuous when it is clear ronaldo was contributing even beyond his goalscoring

Note:
    Sergio Ramos scored both his headers from set pieces hardly a demonstration of real madrids midfield dominance.
    You need to reassess your standpoint that ronaldo was a player totally reliant on his teammates because as seen above he was still at this point a player who totally dominated the final third (in chance creation,shots,fouls drawn ronaldo did not drop as deep as in previous seasons but give him the ball 25-30 yards from goal and he would more times then not create a goal threatening situation)

artielange84 repped this.
  10. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    2015: 3 vs city, 1 vs psg, 5 vs bayern, 2 vs Juve... no stat padding, all relevant goals, better teams, plays more difficult to execute, playing farther from a goal, also had an actual impact on the games excluding those goals, other than a penalty he didnt miss any big chance unlike ronaldo 14 or is service something you dont want to talk about as per usual,....

Remind me the last time Ronaldo or any player for that matter had as much service as CR in any of his last 4 winning campaigns

ko242 repped this.
  11. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #5361 Sexy Beast, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    What are we, 12? I am fimiliar with Jordan's story as well.

I am not saying that lightly, i can go in more depth if you want, include a bit of psychology with which i am also familiar with. Different motivations, different people, imo. And you cant argue my points and then say my analogy is correct.
    What do you think which game Ronaldo enjoyed more, hattrick vs Spain or ucl final vs Liverpool?

As for hardwork, i am not saying it wasnt important, but i am just questioning to which extand it is. I think Ronaldo's talent has much more to do with his success than mentality, contrary to a popular belief. Surely his mentality defined him as a player and openned doors to success that others may never open (it's mandatory for greatness), but it's still talent that allowed him to walk through it.
    Someone like Zlatan has never ever reached the heights of Ronaldo, why? not mentally strong enough, didnt work as much? Kobe was as hardworking as anyone ever, why isnt he like Jordan? why not top 10 basketball player ever?
    .. you see the point, there is more to it.. Ronaldo's talent underrated, mentality overrated (but not unimportant).

leadleader, ko242 and carlito86 repped this.
  12. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Lol, Messi owned Atletico in 2015...

... and that's such a stupid argument.
    Let me ask you something. Have you ever lied to anyone ever or made a minor crime or yelled at someone irrationaly or cheated,..? Ofc you did, so you are a terrible human being, period,.... or?

At the end, this is a situation where a correct and obvious decision is to pass. Forcing shot while falling, on your weaker foot, having 3 players ready to block you and Chicarito right in front of you wide open, is too much even for Ronaldo.
    Anyhow, you have to look at wider picture and not exceptions. It's painfuly obvious by now that he mostly cares about his legacy and status and let me not be misunderstood, that does not mean he only cares about goals, you can steal a spotlight and improve your status in various different ways and he does just that.

13. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    @carlito86

14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @leadleader there is no escaping this.ive told you this several times over the past couple years but you have never answered

15. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    It could be that we are more so in disagreement of our definitions of what talent and mentality implies. That could be explained in further points but then we will get too off topic.
    In any case, I think you make a very good point overall so there is no point in me continuing this particular argument.

Sexy Beast repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Now that a new thread has been started to carry-on the tiresome CR7 v Messi debate, perhaps we should try to get this thread back on topic(?). Please see: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/li...-better-uefa-champions-league-career.2085719/

Can anyone see Buffon leading PSG to the CL title this season? Its basically a prerequisite for Neymar to win the Ballon d'Or in 2019 (and even then, Buffon might steal it instead). Buffon looks shaky from what I've seen of the preseason.

Will be interesting to see if his performance drops now that he's no longer playing for a club that he is passionate about.

Sexy Beast repped this.
  17. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Great post. The motivations between Ronaldo and Jordan are different as @sexybeast pointed out. Both highly motivated but Jordan is more consumed by winning where Ronaldo is more consumed with individual stats.

In any case, as far as rankings, both prime years and longevity are important. I am one of those people who believe it is harder to stay at the top than make it to the top. But for me, i judge longevity better in all time rankings. But Even a player like Ronaldinho was better than CR7 at his best.

18. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    This year is the 1st season I haven't watched any of the pre season games given how meaningless they can be. And the lack of intensity turns me off. Even pre season trophies can be misleading.

Of course, it is always difficult to predict champions league given it's less about who is the best team throughout the year compared to the league trophy. I say this because unfortunately, the WPOY is no longer about who was the best player of the season but who is the best player on the team that wins CL in April and May. For this reason, it's so difficult to answer this question. Based off of last season, Salah and Messi are the 2 front runners but because neither of them won CL or won WC they are not clear front runners.

As it is so hard to guess before the season starts (as no one would have guessed Salah last season) it seems like a pointless conversation to start at this point.

In any case, if Hazard goes to Madrid, I would give him a chance. If PSG go far in CL, I give Neymar a chance. I think given PSGs experience and criticism after losing to Madrid last year, Mbappe and Neymar will handle the situation better (in terms of win first, tricks later). If Man City wins De Bruyne, Mahrez, or Sane. Pogba (only if he parts from Mourinho). Salah. And still others. (Not including Messi, Ronaldo to stay in topic).

Me personally, I think Buffon MAY be a bonus. I don't think goal keeping was the reason PSG lost to Real Madrid in CL. They held Madrid 1-1 till the 80 something minute and had plenty of chances to capitalize. I think the goalkeeper they had last year was good enough.

leadleader and BocaFan repped this.
  19. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    He answered your question in an above post. Your claims for Ronaldo's so called greatness are becoming worse and worse. He's great but he's not on the top tier. I'm sure you'll find the support you're looking for in the YouTube comment section.

leadleader repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Buffon Balon d'Or ? Really doubt it.

21. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    If PSG wins the CL (which i strongly doubt since its coming home) Mbappe or Neymar will win it no matter what.

22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dude stop trolling,misquoting and just being entirely disingenuous
    When did @leadleader address the fact that ronaldo was contributing to Real madrids 13/14 champions league campaign way beyond goalscoring
    He will never tackle this fact head on (but always go around it )because it is in complete contradiction with his premise that ronaldo was a limited player in 13/14 and thereafter

@ko242 we get on relatively well but please stop embarrassing yourself by saying stupid shit like ronaldo is not in the top tier when only a couple posts before you said you would rank him 6 best player in history

We can agree to disagree about Ronaldinho but it is a big stretch to say the latter was definitely better especially when prime cristiano was directly involved in around 80 goals per season during his prime(goals,assists,pre assists),was a legitimate dribbling threat and world class winger

United ronaldo is already comparable to prime Ronaldinho(bearing in mind ronaldo was 24 when he left united and Ronaldinho was 26 in 05/06)
    The level cristiano reached in Madrid blows Ronaldinho completely out of the water

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The thought crossed my mind only as I was considering the hypothetical of PSG winning the CL. When Juve got to the CL final last year under similar circumstances (i.e. people under the impression it was Buffon's last season) there was a lot of talk that Buffon would win BD if Juve had won that final. And that was despite Ronaldo also being in that final (no guarantee that Ronaldo/Messi will be in the CL final in 2019).

Yeah, maybe. But Neymar's rep took a major nose-dive in the WC. I know that's 2018 but WC impressions can linger. Remember when Forlan finished 7th in 2011 BD voting despite scoring less than 10 goals in all competitions that year?!
    By the same token, the lingering WC-effect would help Mbappe.

ko242 repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don’t see Buffon at this age doing the types of saves that will wow voters . If PSG won te CL either Neymar or Mbappe will be protagonists .

Yes impressions can linger. That can change with results on the field. Remember what happened to Ronaldo with the WC 06 Rooney incident. It was quickly forgotten. Because of his sensational season.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, in the short term - 2007 - Ronaldo did slightly worse in the BD vote than what one would expect given his performances that year. Plus I don't think the wink annoyed anyone apart from Rooney and a few other English, unlike Neymar's antics in 2018. Whether or not Neymar continues his diving and rolling at the current rate would be a factor in restoring his popularity.

ko242 repped this.