News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #3101 Smallchief, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    The next Mia Hamm?

Today, the New York Times ran a full page article (!) on a 12 year old soccer player named Olivia Moultrie. She already has a soccer scholarship to attend the University of North Carolina -- and is training with European clubs.

Regarding the problem of the U.S. U-20s, April Heinrichs is quoted as saying that none of the American women on the team had participated on a first division professional team -- but 19 Japanese, 18 Spaniards, 19 French, and 14 English had.

The article says that "the best talents from Europe and elsewhere have increasingly been following a path long open to boys by turning professional in the late teenage years."

Well, if you look at Ellie Carpenter of Portland, 18 and accomplished, maybe that is a correct statement.

Namdynamo repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There was a long discussion about her some months ago on the College boards, and specifically on the UNC Tar Heels 2018 thread. The Father of Olivia Moultrie took part himself to that discussion: you can read everything, if you're interested (a pair of pages of thread).

Smallchief repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting thread. You can put me down as one who doesn't think 12 year old kids should be recruited by colleges. Period.

Dundalk24 and blissett repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. She does not, however, have a soccer scholarship to UNC. They can't give her a soccer scholarship at that age.

Also, her father is a massive promoter. Whether she'll be as good as the aura he's created for her won't be known for a good number of years.

Nacional Tijuana and Dundalk24 repped this.
  5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Hey, it's Aunt Sanchez.
    Amazing how our youth players grow up so fast.

[​IMG]

6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to prove the USWNT is on the cutting edge of Social Responsibility, I noticed something new on my ticket - -
    ticket.jpg
    403 hours and 45 minutes to the start of the defense of OUR Cup.

McSkillz repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There is one is in France at the Stade Oceane in Le Havre. 18th or 19th.

8. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Mayor? of Le Havre announced that months ago but both federations are hush hush because they want to build suspense I guess. I was referring to (hoping for) yet another match. Makes nooooooo sense at all to travel that distance only to turn around and come right back. Would kinda be nice to know about this and other matches soon. However, I wouldn't hold my breathe till after the CONCACAF Tournament is over.
    I remember trying to get tickets for our matches in Sweden/Norway last summer and spent about 12 hours on the phone with Ticketmaster and another 8 on their website and made absolutely no progress.

9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I just see our Mal Pugh in a Gatorade commercial?
    Is it new? Did I miss this somehow? - remember my mind is going.

10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes you better off than me.

CoachJon repped this.
  11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don't confuse "operating" with "off a cliff":D

12. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Its been airing consistently for at least a month on ESPN. Almost as run out as a gieco commercial

13. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/sports/soccer/uswnt-bayern-munich-olivia-moultrie.html

blissett repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Related to this, there are definitely games in November, but the opponents are uncertain:

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of tidbits in this Equalizer article:

Jeff Kassouf reported that the two games in November will still be in Europe. Its good to get some away games!

Also in the Equalizer article, Kassouf said there will be no long training camp in January in SoCal. Instead the USWNT will do another trip to Europe (probably for those previously reported games against France).

The 2019 SheBelieves tournament is set to be England, Japan, and Brazil coming to the US, according to Phil Neville.

There's some more news directly related to WCQ that I'll put in that thread.

Semblance17 and blissett repped this.
  16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

17. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kinda surprised there isn’t much talk in this. Gonna start a separate thread

18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had this thought a few days ago: the USWNT players’ Club-and-Country dynamic is shifting, with more and more players having a very strong Club team attachment or identity, in contrast to historical times with most players not having a significant relationship with any club. Claire Watkins brought this up on today’s Equalizer Soccer podcast.
    The list I made below indicates, IMO, about 1/3 of the current team has a strong club attachment/identity.

Players with a significant club attachment/identity (8)
    NWSL-Era
    Dahlkemper, Ertz, Sonnett, Mewis​
    Older Vets
    Rapinoe, Heath, Zerboni, Long​

Players not having a significant club attachment/identity (16)
    Older Vets
    Naeher, Harris, Sauerbrunn, Lloyd, O’Hara, Press, Morgan​
    NWSL-Era
    Dunn, Horan, Brian, Short​
    In College or Too New
    Mace, Davidson, Sullivan, Pugh, Lavelle​

jackdoggy repped this.
  19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the distinction between having and not having a significant club attachment/identity. For example, I don't think there's any way Horan doesn't have a signifiant club attachment. (Just ask her!)

20. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming you are correct about Horan, you're just furthering CoachJon's point. Not sure if it's really significant at this point, but if things keep going in that direction then the entire landscape will eventually change.

21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    image.png
    Ticket Sales will commence on October 19, 2018.

Click here to access the Official Ticketing page.

Since we don't have a home and home with Argentina in November to qualify, mmmmmmaybe we will get an announcement after the Finals about the "2 Matches in Europe" next month that I have been hearing so much about.

CoachJon repped this.
  22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, his main point was absolutely right, I think.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding a distinction between having/not having the club attachment/identity-I was looking at tenure with a team and most of the "haves" I listed were players with 4 or more years with the same NWSL club.

I think the NWSL has made it easier for players to become attached to the club because, in general, they are not playing under the cloud of "Will my team and/or the league be here next year?" Formerly, each season was potentially the only one - there was no incentive to put down roots.

I put Sonnett with the "haves," even though it has only been three years because she joined right out of college and due to the impression I have of the "Portland Thorns effect (PTE)." I did not put Horan there initially because she did 4 years professionally at PSG as a counterpoint to 3 at Portland, however I probably did not consider the PTE. Moving her to the "have" category makes sense.

My list was based on my impressions as well as number of clubs played for and duration of time at each. A poor way to try and articulate how the difference between "have" and "don't have" might be manifested, would be for a player to feel the club is the main course in her soccer life, while the national team is dessert. Of course I have no clue about how these women feel about their clubs or about the club-country dynamics in their soccer career.

jackdoggy and cpthomas repped this.
  24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent! I think the "put down roots" phrase captures it.

And, I think it's very interesting to consider whether the establishment of "legitimate" leagues in nations may be really important. I wonder if "legitimate" means leagues where there is parity among teams, as in the US and in Australia. I can't comment on whether there is parity among teams in other nations' leagues, although I gather it is doubtful in some.

25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent! I think the "put down roots" phrase captures it.

And, I think it's very interesting to consider whether the establishment of "legitimate" leagues in nations may be really important. I wonder if "legitimate" means leagues where there is parity among teams, as in the US and in Australia. I can't comment on whether there is parity among teams in other nations' leagues, although I gather it is doubtful in some.