News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, yeah, BTW, I'm also going to Cleveland for the game against China. See, I'm hooked into this following. :)

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone might know: What's the USSF position on turf for friendlies for the USWNT?

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was reported when the new CBA was signed that turf was not prohibited since neither side wanted to rule out places like Portland. From a report at that time: "The lack of a specific ban on turf in the collective bargaining agreement was by design; it would have tied U.S. Soccer’s hands in venue selection, thwarting what it calls its 'mission' to send the team to as many markets as possible. But the players didn’t want one either, since it would have ruled out established markets like Portland, Ore., and Seattle, for example, and emerging ones like Cincinnati."

4. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you so much for finding this. Interestingly, so far neither Portland nor Seattle has been a venue. But, Portland's getting the NWSL 2018 championship game is great. Now, all the Thorns have to do is get there.

I've become philosophical about Portland not getting a USWNT game. If the emphasis is on growing a fan base, maybe it's better for the team to be playing where there isn't one already.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    wow!

i know you’re a real fan. but that’s a very unfan like sentiment.

[depends on who you are a greater fan of - of course. thorns or wnt.]

6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I'm a greater fan of women's soccer, period. Whatever will help women's soccer as a whole, over the long term, is what I care about most.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    x1000 sir.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    China camp roster

[​IMG]

jackdoggy and Semblance17 repped this.
  9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sonnett has had a back injury that kept her out of the Thorns last game and also will keep her out of tomorrow's. Williams also has had an injury that's kept her out of games.

11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3011 Semblance17, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    I'm excited to see Heath back on the roster [as a forward, no less] but I'd best postpone my celebration until she suits up and jogs onto the field [Lord willing].

At any rate, I think it's poetic that the callup arrives on the day she turns 30. I hope she finds that well-deserved birthday present gratifying and makes the most of it.

jackdoggy repped this.
  12. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I hope O'hara does better with her hammy recovery than Lavelle.

lil_one and Semblance17 repped this.
  13. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy I was wrong [as I usually am] about Press getting permanently dropped by Ellis. As with Heath though, she's not back on the field yet. Cautious optimism.

14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back as 2015 began, the WNY Flash, with Charlie Naimo calling the shots said they wanted a "World Cup Proof" roster. So the Courage just got 5 starters called in ; how'd that work out? #McCalledherup

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lavelle too recently started playing again to get called back in, I suppose; yet they have called her in just to check on her progress in the past.

Also no Sullivan is interesting as she's healthy AFAIK, and I think she's played fairly well for the NT. One could argue that she hasn't made her mark though on her club.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    CoachJon and lil_one repped this.
  17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My thoughts on Zerboni. While Ellis was stubbornly maintaining there was no place for a defensive midfielder in the modern game she could justify, at least to herself bringing in nothing but attacking mids and shoehorning them into positions. But now that she has placed Ertz in the starting midfield to play a more defensive role, doesn't Ellis really have to look for similar player to act as Ertz backup? She really doesn't want to put herself in a position of having something happen to Ertz and completely change the way they play.

CoachJon repped this.
  18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    No Pugh either. With her pace/quickness she can certainly change a game--to use one of the many Ellis/Snow criteria (that is an excellent piece on the selection process)--but IMO Pugh's always been overrated. Has improved, will continue to, but in total doesn't really have the class of a Dunn. Came in at halftime the other night for the Spirit and created a penalty-kick opportunity (good), but her penalty kick was weak (bad) and got saved. I suppose it's unfair to expect too much of her at such a young age.

I also think that Sonnett is overrated, for what it's worth. To be sure, she is a solid/good player whom I think gets a lot of USNT mileage out of her fiery temperament and playing for a good Thorns team. Nothing wrong with that, but IMO there are other NWSL centerbacks who are just as good if not better.

RE Sullivan, watched her a lot in the Spirit's last game. She was good, is good. Her Spirit team is struggling, not scoring enough, but no doubt would benefit from getting Lavelle back in top form. She entered the game in the second half the other night in a holding midfield role, which seemed odd and was unproductive. Here's hoping she is on the cusp of full form again and will soon bring her verve to the NT.

I find it somewhat bizarre that Lloyd gets a spot for friendlies. Why? There's no doubt she'll be on the WC roster as a player who could be brought off the bench at '70 minutes if/when we need a goal.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pugh was left off because of an injury. AFAIK, Sullivan, however, is healthy.

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McSkillz and jackdoggy repped this.
  21. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Interesting how a player decided not to play for USWNT after being told to wear an alternate kit with LGBT colors.

Hinkle indicated that wearing it would be in conflict with her personal beliefs.

No-win situation for both team and player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44315031

jjmack and blissett repped this.
  22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity I went back through the news archives. What I don't understand is why Hinkle waited until 6/6/2017 to withdraw [just two days before the first match] when the announcement on the jerseys was made on 5/26/2017. I recalled thinking something similar back then but I didn't realize the time gap was that substantial.

Even if she wasn't certain at that point that it would be mandatory, if she felt that strongly about it, it probably would have been best to remove herself from the situation at the first possible opportunity. If as a professional courtesy she had declined that particular call-up early enough for Ellis to replace her on the roster, she might not have been permanently blacklisted from the team.

24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know that she's been permanently blacklisted from the team, but ... can you have a player on the team who reserves the right to refuse to wear one of the team kits?