News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Absolutely true but Im not sure why that is the determining factor. Ill give u a couple admittedly silly examples. U and ur wife both work. U make $50k and she makes $35K. When u go to buy things is she only spending out of her money? Ur two daughters set up a lemonade stand. One daughter sells 30 cups while the other sells 20. Don't they just split the money at the end? If they want to have two different pay scales for the men & women then they should have USMensSoccer and USWomensSoccer and let each make due with the revenue they can generate. If there's just one big USSoccer evenly governing both sides then revenues should be shared regardless of who generates them.

Coaching pay is a bigger nut because Ellis is at the top of the women's pay pyramid while her money is just a small percentage of what a successful men's NT coach makes. They could still be making the same base pay tho. Then augment the coaches pay with a bonus structure that takes into account the much larger amounts of money available for success on the men's side.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dan Flynn describes responsibilities of new NT GMs

[​IMG]

olelaliga repped this.
  3. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    If April Heinrichs or another cabal member is named, despite the GM job description to the contrary, JE remains her own boss.
    If Michele Akers (I know no one has mentioned her but I continue with my pipe dream. I liked what she had to say in interviews after the group stage of 2015) is named. The winds they are a'changin...
    My other top choices are Hugo Perez and Brian Kleiban but no idea if they would even consider a position with women's soccer or if they would be considered by the power structure. If the GM is a Cabal member there will be no changes for a very long time.

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wide-ranging Grant Wahl podcast interview with Megan Rapinoe. It covers the SheBelieves Cup and the transition out of experimentation to putting together good performances as well as a bit on her relationship with Sue Bird, the new US Soccer president, and her thoughts on taking a knee.

blissett repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Short list for World Best IX FIFPro. Not many Americans can play this game I guess.

THE 55 PLAYERS ON THE 2017 LIST ARE:
    Name (Nationality – Current Club)

GOALKEEPERS
    Katarzyna Kiedrzynek (Poland - Paris Saint-Germain)
    Hedvig Lindahl (Sweden - Chelsea FC)
    Sandra Paños (Spain - FC Barcelona)
    Andreea Părăluță (Romania - Atlético Madrid)
    Almuth Schult (Germany - VfL Wolfsburg)

DEFENDERS
    Millie Bright (England - Chelsea FC)
    Lucy Bronze (England - Olympique Lyonnais)
    Kadeisha Buchanan (Canada - Ol. Lyonnais)
    Anouk Dekker (The Netherlands - Montpellier)
    Kristin Demann (Germany - FC Bayern München)
    Nilla Fischer (Sweden - VfL Wolfsburg)
    Natalia Gaitán (Colombia - Valencia CF)
    Stephanie Houghton (England - Man City, photo)
    Tuija Hyyrynen (Finland - Juventus FC)
    Alanna Kennedy (Australia - Melbourne City FC)
    Saki Kumagai (Japan - Olympique Lyonnais)
    Ashley Lawrence (Canada - Paris Saint-Germain)
    Elena Linari (Italy - ACF Fiorentina FC)
    Amel Majri (France - Olympique Lyonnais)
    Irene Paredes (Spain - Paris Saint-Germain)
    Babett Peter (Germany - VfL Wolfsburg)
    Wendie Renard (France - Olympique Lyonnais)
    Ali Riley (New Zealand - FC Rosengård)
    Line Røddik Hansen (Denmark - FC Barcelona)
    Sandra Žigić (Croatia - FF USV Jena)

MIDFIELDERS
    Camille Abily (France - Olympique Lyonnais)
    Karen Carney (England - Chelsea FC)
    Sara Däbritz (Germany - FC Bayern München)
    Daniëlle van de Donk (The Netherlands - Arsenal)
    Jackie Groenen (The Netherlands - FFC Frankfurt)
    Sara Björk Gunnarsdóttir (Iceland - VfL Wolfsburg)
    Amandine Henry (France - Olympique Lyonnais)
    Carli Lloyd (United States - Sky Blue FC, photo)
    Victoria Losada (Spain - FC Barcelona)
    Dzsenifer Marozsán (Germany - Ol. Lyonnais)
    Silvia Meseguer (Spain - Atlético Madrid)
    Alice Parisi (Italy - ACF Fiorentina FC)
    Caroline Seger (Sweden - FC Rosengård)
    Marta Vieira da Silva (Brazil - Orlando Pride)
    Caroline Weir (Scotland - Liverpool FC)

FORWARDS
    Barbara Bonansea (Italy - Juventus FC)
    Deyna Castellanos (Venezuela - FSU)
    Pernille Harder (Denmark - VfL Wolfsburg)
    Ada Hegerberg (Norway - Olympique Lyonnais)
    Jennifer Hermoso (Spain - Paris Saint-Germain)
    Samantha Kerr (Australia - Perth Glory)
    Eugénie Le Sommer (France - Ol. Lyonnais, photo)
    Lieke Martens (The Netherlands - FC Barcelona)
    Vivianne Miedema (The Netherlands - Arsenal FC)
    Alex Morgan (United States - Orlando Pride)
    Nadia Nadim (Denmark - Manchester City)
    Ewa Pajor (Poland - VfL Wolfsburg)
    Laura Rus (Romania - Apollon FC)
    Shanice van de Sanden (Netherlands - Lyonnais)
    Jodie Taylor (England - Melbourne City)

FACTS AND FIGURES:
    • Three members of the 2016 World XI did not make it to the list of 55: goalkeeper Hope Solo (USA) and defenders Leonie Maier (Germany) and Ali Krieger (USA). Solo was also part of the 2015 World XI.
    • 29 players make their first appearance on the list of 55.
    • Ten players on the list were chosen in at least one of the two previous World XI’s (2015 or 2016).
    • Three players on the list of 55 were voted on both the 2015 and 2016 Women’s World XI: Carli Lloyd, Eugenie Le Sommer and Wendie Renard.
    • The 55 players have 23 different nationalities.
    • Most players are Dutch, six. Four countries have five players on the list: England, France, Germany and Spain.
    • The USA, who had nine players on the 2016 list, now only have two women.
    • The 55 players are from 23 clubs in nine countries.
    • Olympique Lyonnais is the club with most players: eleven. The French club has won the last two Champions Leagues. VfL Wolfsburg is second with six, followed by Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain with four each.
    • Sixteen players are competing in the French league, Germany is second with ten players.
    • The list includes one college player: Deyna Castellanos. The 18-year old Venezuelan forward is studying and playing at Florida State University in the United States.
    • Next to Martens, two former World players of the year received enough votes to make the list of 55: Carli Lloyd (2015-2016) and Marta (2006-2007-2008-2009-2010).

jackdoggy and Thomsen repped this.
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i think that they would say they're doing exactly that. they have to make sure that they don't kill the goose that's actually laying the golden egg while continuing to grow the women's program.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An excellent ESPN FC podcast with Sebastian Salazar and Kate Markgraf: discussion on the USWNT v Germany game, NWSL season, and a bit on the USSF presidential election (Kate Markgraf is on the Athletes' Council).

CoachJon repped this.
  9. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That's a ridiculously Euro-centric list.

Only two players from the US? And one of them Lloyd who probably shouldn't be there. Where are Ertz, Rapinoe, and Sauerbrunn at a minimum? And maybe Mewis and Horan.

The biggest omission of all is Jess Fishlock who is a best XI for the whole damned world -- and that she doesn't even make a list of the 55 best is outrageous.

And Charlyn Corral of Mexico isn't there and she's led the Spanish league in goals the last two seasons.

About one-third or more of that list consists of players who wouldn't be starters in the NWSL.

jackdoggy repped this.
  10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think they believe they r and personally I believe the women r better off with the system they have as it partially offsets the lack of big club contracts. But the women don't seem to agree and I can see their point of One Nation, One Team, Two Pays.

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #2936 luvdagame, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    i tend not to believe what people (both labor and management) say during a labor dispute.

i don't believe the women want to be paid the same way as the men. they won't survive. their clubs don't have the money to stay afloat in a real supply and demand based economic system.

the women want the same camp/roster/game/hotel/flight payments as the men while keeping their sizable allocation $$.

like you, I believe the system is better off as it is. but I'd like it to be tied to slow changes as clubs improve their financial standing. right now, if you just call whoever is in form and throw out the allocation $$, people will leave the game even faster than they currently do and the wnt will fail. and if you just give the nwsl teams the ussf money they'll have no reason to compete for survival, and that money will just go down the drain faster than you can say poof!

CoachJon, cpthomas and kernel_thai repped this.
  12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just a curious question,

Why have so many of our former posters here on BS left for Equalizersoccer.com boards?
    I would really like to know especially from those of you who post on both.

And what ever happened to Bonnie Lass?

Thanks.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't post on ES, so I can't answer, but I have to say I can't understand why one should leave a well-structured forum like this one for the new wave of disposable chats, as ES basically is. I just can't understand how a scroll-down mess can be more satisfying than a well-ordered board, but then probably it is because I don't possess a smart-phone, so what do I know? :unsure:

It's some years I don't hear from Bonnie Lass. I didn't know her personally, so I know nothing about why she disappeared. I can only say it's a shame, because I liked very much her presence on these boards.

CoachJon and MRAD12 repped this.
  14. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't go on equalizer, I feel like the website is unstable and I get ads attacking my computer every 5 seconds. Too many trolls there

15. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Equalizer Soccer has a forum?

This changes everything!

*leaves*

(kidding)

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Airox repped this.
  18. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea but the designs in the stripes and the sleeves look a little funky. I have to see the final kit. The 2017 Gold Cup kit as leaked seemed to be a cheap FC Barcelona knockoff but the real kit looked completely different [in a good way].

Even so, Nike has yet to produce a jersey I'm willing to drop $90+ on and to be fair I'm not sure it's even possible to do so.

I'm just hoping the USWNT doesn't get stuck with another unpatriotic kit for their World Cup run again. Now these were hideous.

[​IMG]

CoachJon repped this.
  19. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semblance17 repped this.
  20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official; the USWNT will once again have the honor of debuting the new national team kit [an honor that in this case might possibly be related to the Federation not wanting to draw attention to the fact that their other senior national team missed the tournament the kit was specifically designed for] https://www.instagram.com/p/BgrUzeWgpGL/?hl=en&taken-by=ussoccer_wnt

I still think the pattern in the stripes is a little dorky, but I like these a lot more than the #RedToToe kits from last year.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the men are actually debuting the away (dark) kit (against Paraguay), and then the women the home kit a week later (against Mexico).

I personally love the new away kit, and I like the new home kit a lot more than any we've had in the last 3-4 years. Nike's finally given us a patriotic kit again, and I love the nod back to one of my favorite kits: the hoops. Its a bummer this one won't get showcased at the WC.

Also this one should be available in men's and women's sizes soon:

Semblance17 repped this.
  22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my fault, I fast-forward and imagine a new name and number on the back and get out the Credit Card.:D

23. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to an article, Press to Goteborg is "until this summer," with Goteborg hoping to sign her for a longer period later.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders