News & Media: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, May 5, 2008.

1. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Please post all general news articles, releases, random videos, photos, etc. here.

Anything late-breaking or major needs to have its own thread. These include player X injured, coach fired, new roster lineups, schedule released, tournament entry announced, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM or post a reply.

Thanks!

2. jc in nh

jc in nh Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Canterbury, NH
  3. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Beulah's Match Report is Up!

I always like to see her reports, she doesn't **********-foot around concerning either players or the coaching. What she says about Kai puts the lie to anything that Ryan might have to say about just about anything concerning the his tenure.

US Soccer needs to send her to all the games *and* let her do all of the match tracker commentary :). That would be worth staring at the monitor and waiting...

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I have read Beulah's commentary's over the years. Although very interesting and good reading, it doesn't mean she is right on everything. I may look at things differently.
    What are her credentials? Has she been a big time player before?, coach? referee? I don't know. She has what we all have, an opinion. That's all.
    By the way, and I'm not a Ryan supporter, but let's not forget that Greg Ryan gave several of these girls their real chance and that includes Kai and Solo.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

i love reading beulah. her commentaries are pointed and precise.

some things i disagree with:
    1. saying that kai is this good because she suddenly is getting coaching somehow conveniently leaves out the fact that player development is individual and in many cases occurs in unpredictable spurts.

2. i have repeatedly said that we have to wait to grade pia. she may turn out to be a great coach. i'm certainly hoping so. but we don't know that yet. different coaches have different systems. ryan was a good coach. that's how he only lost one game. but that booboo in the world cup expectedly got him fired. i love the passing game. arsenal is one of my favorite teams to watch. they play the ball on the ground and to feet like no one else. but it's just a different system. they have not won anything in two years. i'm not into soccer only for beauty's sake. if you're creating these wonderful goals while you're creating space for the opposition in the back, you're just going to lose to brazil and north korea and germany. face it. we nearly got blitzed by australia who won't even make the olympics.

3. nobody is claiming that scurry is better than solo. that is a false claim. we need to see barnhardt play with the same makeshift backline that scurry played with for most of the afternoon in order to judge who is the better backup, because that's what we are judging here - who's going to be solo's backup. there is NO competition between scurry and solo! the competition is between scurry and barnhardt (and possibly some other gk) to see who will be the backup and who will be the standby. solo is no.1. greg ryan made her that 3 years ago.

6. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, luvdagame. Your number 3 point is right on target. I love reading Beulah's game reports because they are always entertaining and informative. I think she was off track concerning Scurry, though. Yes, Bri looked rusty and very uncomfortable. But look at the defense she had in front of her. Mitts had already been subbed out and the run of play by the Aussies through the middle of that defense was stunning to see. Even without Devanna, they were consistently getting behind the line.

Solo is the starter, the issue is the backup, Barnhardt v. Scurry. I just think it's too early to call that, unless you are willing to use an equal playing field. Scurry, for one half, with a very shaky defense is just not a good measuring point.

7. tauri

tauri New Member

Mar 4, 2008
  8. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    i heard about this but it was a rumor so i thought it was best not to say anything. thk you for the update because i was concerned. IMO barnhart has already earned 2nd place. The only issue she may have is the knee. If she is healthy i have no doubts she wll be on the us Olympic team. And if it seems unclear whether she is getting better, mark my words, pia will call up more keepers.

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    from the article:
    if she has there should be no problem, since she'll be back for the peace cup and in plenty of time for the olympics. i haven't seen her play in similar conditions to scurry yet, so i don't know.

10. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
  11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  12. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Games against Brazil on July 13 outside Denver and July 16 in San Diego are also in the works, Sundhage said.

O man, I would totally go to the denver one but I have the bar exam a week later. ARGHHHH Soccer gods WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO TORTURE ME???

14. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil? Man, I am so there!

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    redcard, is this the only place i can post this? if so, this is where late breaking news clips go to die. shouldn't we be able to start a new thread so that people can see the title right away and react? [edit: i see someone has posted it on the uswnt vs canada postgame thread.]

from ussoccer's match access:
    after i planned my whole day around being able to see this replay at this time.

16. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ASN Match Reports (most with photos)

I'm going to keep these part of one thread, to cut down on traffic.

Here is the match report on the Canada game, with photos.

The home page for all USWNT soccer.

18. awambachfan

awambachfan New Member

May 12, 2008
    Memphis
    After lurking around here for the last few months, I finally decided to register!:)

I found a couple of articles on the team at USA today:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2008-05-08-4007110354_x.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2008-05-12-us-women-pressure_N.htm

Also, the NBC olympics website has some interesting interview clips with Abby, Kate, and HAO.
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/soccer/index.html

Finally, Carli Lloyd's website says she will be making an appearance on the David Letterman show on Tuesday May 13. I wonder if any other players will be on?

19. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
  20. built4two

built4two New Member

May 12, 2008
    beulah... great stuff! keep it coming!

21. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    holy cow,
    glad to see she is ok. although i did get a chuckle when i read If I was going to have my gall bladder out, this is probably a good time.” . IS anytime a good time to have it out?