News from Brasil Dec 2011

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Colorado_GAUCHO, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There's always some team that comes out of nowhere and has a decent WC. Like Turkey in 02 or Sweden in other years etc. Any darkhorse like that is sure to take us out. Also, besides Argentina (that have already eliminated us in the past so i can't see why they would't do it again) there's a chance for 2 more decent South American teams (Uruguay and another one) that will be seasoned from qualifiers and in better mode than us. It's all about the group, for argument sake, we get in a group with Uruguay, Ivory Coast and Holland we're done. Or something like Paraguay, Germany, Japan. Were done too. The only way out is if get a very easy route. But then round of 16 we're done, round of 8? No way brother.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Don't think we can fall in a group with another SA team. So you can cut Uruguay and Paraguay off. Holland may end up being the head of a group. If they do we won't face them in a group stage. We may end up with France (assuming they make it) as they will definitely not be heading a group. Ivory Coast ? Who do they have ? Drogba will be too old by then. Gervinho sucks. Yaya is good. African teams can be tricky I agree ... but there is typically only one good team per WC.

If we do face an Argentina or Uruguay (or a good European team) in the R16 we could be knocked out. But I think you are assuming too much right now. BTW ... nobody guarantees Uruguay will still be solid by then.

3. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    THat's the thing, there's always one tricky team that comes out of nowhere. It could be Greece, Turkey, Sweden, an African team or who knows. There's always a minnow who decides to be the dark horse of that WC. Let's hope that we don't have anything like that in our group.

It's a projection I know, but we are in 2012 and the WC is 2 years away. Today we would loose to any half decent team, forget about getting a strong one. I don't see Uruguay changing much. They kept their coach (as did Germany, Holland and other teams that lost but wanted to preserve whatever was good). Anytime we don't win, we knock the whole castle down and start from zero. It's a bad idea.

4. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the difference was, in 94 and 02 we had to qualify for the WC so CBF was forced to keep it real. Doing poor in the qualifiers is ultimately what caused Luxa to be sacked from the NT. If we were pre-qualified he'd have been kept after the Olympics based on his win at Copa America.

What scares me this time is that by the time Texeira and the other hacks finally feel the fire up their asses it may be way too late.

5. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't really think they care. They want their show and want to get paid. At the most they want to show a competitive team so they can sell jerseys and other crap. After all, nike needs to make money as well. Other than that they are laughing immediately after our elimination because to them is just business and they will get paid.

6. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil do have a chance of winning it, but its going to be hard against Spain and Germany.
    We first need to see how Brazil go in the 2013 Confederation Cup, then it will be a better time to discuss if Brazil can win 2014 World Cup or not.

7. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh yeah, let's wait for 2013, when it's going to be too late to fix things.

8. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Theirs nothing to fix, if Brazil are good enough then they will win, so thats why we need to wait until 2013 Confederation Cup to see how Brazil will compete with Spain, and Germany if they win 2012 Euro.

I expect to see Brazil in the 2014 World Cup Final with Spain or Germany.

9. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There's nothing to fix? We need another year to see how we will compete with Germany? Are you kidding me? Where have you been? They took easy on us because it was a friendly and yet had 70% ball possession. They smoke both Argentina and England at the WC, they haven't changed their coach and most of the team is the same just adding pieces while we are calling like 70 people in 2 years. What do you think they will do to us? You must be new to this game. They will rip us a new one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5pyfwgT7U"]GERMANY 3 X 2 BRAZIL (ALEMANHA 3 X 2 BRASIL). Friendly 10-08-2011 - YouTube[/ame]

10. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    ............it took us 3 months in 1970, CG! (Zagalo being appointed in mid-March)

I do agree with you that we won't win it though.

11. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    True about 1970, but the people we had it then compare to what we have it now...

Back then to win the WC it meant something to the players, now? They only care about $

12. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I know you would say that - and you are right!

The second point? Only the players know if you are right - if money means more than the glory. I still happen to think for the vast majority it means a lot to wear that yellow shirt. A little odd isn't it that Ronaldinho (the 27) asked to be rested for the 2007 Copa America yet is keen (at 31) to play for Brazil in friendlies (a 25 year old Kaka also asked to be rested). I hate that.

13. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Hey bro, saw that and I knew you would enjoy.

[ame="http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player/Esportes/0,,GIM944738-7824-EM+OS+GOLS+DE+BRASIL+X+ALEMANHA+PELO+MUNDIALITO+EM+MONTEVIDEU,00.html"]Globo Vídeos - VIDEO - Em 1981, os gols de Brasil 4 x 1 Alemanha pelo Mundialito em Montevidéu@@AMEPARAM@@midiaId=944738&autoStart@@AMEPARAM@@944738[/ame]

They are talking about how Brasil was not ready in 1981 (how did they put the finishing touches for 82 I wonder). The team much was much discredited at the 81 "Mundialito" in Uruguay. Brasil convincingly beat a solid Germany side (with the likes of Rumminage and others) and lost to Uruguay at the finals. The tournament also had Argentina, Italy and the Holland participating on it.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the team was already set by Saldanha before Zagalo took over. And Zagalo is a good motivator but a terrible coach. I think we won in spite of him being the coach. I read they were also together training for 4-5 months. Not sure because I wasn't even born back then.

15. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Yes, the players were together from mid-February. OK, but Zagalo did accommodate 5 numbers tens in his team by playing Rivelino left and picking Jairzinho on the right/front. Saldanha's reign was mightily impressive though losing just once (at home to Argentina in March 1970). I think his mouth and not his ability got him the sack.

16. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    .......and Zagalo picked Wilson Piazza in defence (was in midfield) and put a young Clodoaldo in the volante (defensive midfielder position)

17. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    The great Cerexo in his pomp (player of the tournament) and Serginho scoring for Brazil in the only way possible - 4 yards out having been put on a plate for him! I saw Brazil x England at Wembley in 1981 - that defeat to Uruguay was the only one they suffered right through to Italy in 1982.

18. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    TULIO Maravilha reached his 983th goal this past week end.
    17 goals for Tulio to reach 1,000!