News and Updates

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Armada FC' started by ChuckDzzNutz, Dec 9, 2013.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/02/looking-example-florida.html

The Jacksonville Armada know exactly what stands in the club’s way. As part of a growing Florida soccer market, the NASL expansion side understands the need to carve out a niche in the state. However, the Armada aren’t just looking to find their place; they are looking to set some examples.

2. Shipz

Shipz New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Let me tell you. Other pro soccer teams situated in Florida are not going to draw away the Armada's ticket-buyer, season ticket purchaser support and potential support. Win or lose, Miami or no Miami, Beckham or no Beckham, MLS title or no MLS title for Orlando. The Armada supporters, as the hard core (and long suffering) fans of the NFL's Jaguars do, already intone "Duval" at the start of the match. That is the name of the county Jacksonville inhabits. Pride in their county! Of all things! It is different. A powerful self-identification with a specific place on the earth. Other teams and fanbases may lead in various metrics. Jacksonville leads in the emotional bond between the fans and the dirt the stadium stands on. The Armada management are astutely aware of this and they and the new players seem to be fostering it further.

markmcf8 and Macsen repped this.
  3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, attendance thus far:

2/7 v. Philly (@ Everbank): 13,934 (NASL preseason record)
    2/28 v. FTL: 5,232
    3/8 v. Charleston: ~6,000

Totally not bad numbers. The premier match number was especially impressive.

Next up is the Rowdies friendly this Saturday, then the actual premiere 4/4 v. FC Edmonton. Both will be at Everbank Field.

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know anything about Florida, but with several soccer teams in the state it certainly seems like fertile ground for a soccer club.

Do the other minor league teams in Jacksonville get a lot of support? And will they be rivals to the Armada for fans and fans disposable income?

13K, almost 14K is great attendance, especially for a preseason game. I'd love to see the Armada draw large crowds regularly. Good luck!

5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the NPSL team (Jacksonville United), but FC Jax did above-average numbers (for the SE Division) in their one season in PDL. (Of course, it was still triple digits, so that's not saying much.)

What you need to look at are the NT friendlies Jacksonville has hosted in recent years. The Scotland match in 2012 drew almost 45,000. The WNT friendly in 2013 (also against Scotland) drew over 18,000. The 2014 World Cup sendoff (against Nigeria) drew 52,000.

6. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see Jacksonville being similar to Indy from last season and putting up very good attendance numbers. I don't know enough about Jacksonville to say whether they can sell out every game or not, but from what I've heard it sounds like you guys have a really good fan base.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the funnier April Fool's Day jokes I've seen. But it does kinda remind me of YMCA.

9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Do we already have a better singer ? :D

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Jacksonville for a fantastic opener, both on the pitch and in the stands. Looking forward to seeing you in Indy.

brentgoulet repped this.
  12. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet repped this.
  13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What sucks about that is doing so well at EverBank, then having to play at the Baseball Grounds for the rest of the season, where the best you can do is not much more than half that.

14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I don't think that they will keep drawing 16K a game. I would love to be wrong though.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also cost, renting the Football stadium has to be hell of lot more expensive than the baseball stadium.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://jacksonville.com/sports/colu...frenette-not-difficult-make-room-jacksonville

Jacksonville is getting in on the action. Our city, whether it’s the U.S. national team or the Armada setting the attendance bar, has acquired a reputation as a place to do business.
    For two hours Saturday night, Jacksonville’s expansion NASL franchise showed it was ready to live up to its self-created hype as a bold, attacking unit with NASL championship aspirations.
    “We should be contenders this year,” declared owner Mark Frisch.

brentgoulet repped this.
  17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That depends on a lot of things, too. Orlando City got a plum deal to rent the Citrus Bowl in USL because Orlando was just that desperate to have events there. The only reason we didn't play there in 2014 was because of the construction. It's also why there was/maybe still is pushback on the SSS: why build it when there's the Citrus Bowl sitting there unused? Nevermind the revenue control issues at the top flight level.

Jacksonville may not be that desperate to pimp out EverBank since they have the Jaguars.

18. Duke Kickass

Duke Kickass Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Pinellas County, FLA
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN3 telecast tonight vs. San Antonio claimed 8000+ in attendance. What a great crowd! Congrats to Armada fans on an exciting win. Akeele looks like his mom had to drop him off for the game - what is he, 14?
    Still love ya Pascal Millien - enjoy playing in Jax.

19. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. fldore

fldore Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Whitehorse, YT
    Club:
    Jacksonville United FC
    Armada has tough time with the refs against Silverbacks last night. Borderline offsides call prevents a potential goal. And then another goal called back due to handball which also looked suspect. Armada players were livid. A couple getting yellow cards after the handball call. Was pretty contentious. As the game concluded, the players went after the ref again to voice their displeasure. The other linesmen had to come stand guard and a few Armada players had to be pulled back.

Without a scoreboard and no replays it's hard to tell how bad the calls were. None of the Silverback players were putting their hands up after the last goal so I dont think they thought it was a handball either.

USAsports6 repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like the idea of Tony coaching them. Alphose Mondello should be happy a lot of his former players are coaching everywhere now. Two head coaches Gio Saverese and Tony. Not to mention those in the front office in the MLS.

Watch there keeper agility drill. Tony always did this.

The coach rolls the ball between your legs, and then you have to turn and save it. Meola said he thought it was the stupidest drill ever... until it happened to him in a game and he turned and made the save! Actually it is very good for keeper quickness.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States