News about Will John and Lee Nguyen from RandersFC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by randersfan, Jan 31, 2008.

1. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    So after the guys have joined Randersfc in Denmark, and i got enogh posts to start a new thread its here.
    Wonder how big a interest there is to follow the guys on the run for glory here in denmark??. Give me a clue about it.
    After the trials here Colin Todd wanted the guys to stay, and i guess he have seen alot of players during the years. Local ppl havent seen them and is a bit afraid of the missing matchpractice for both of them during the latest couple of years. On websitelevel both of them seems like promising players, but stuck on something. So fill me in.
    Should i make a website in english and try to get in contact with the guys??
    If u want a website, what should it be? blog of a kind?

2. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A blog would be cool, just writing up match reports about the American guys. Lee Nguyen is a guy that a lot of American fans had high hopes for and I'm sure we'd all love detailed reports about his progress.

Cheers. Look forward to reading about Lee and Will.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played against John in high school, I'd love to keep updated on his situation in Denmark.

4. Soccerretired

Soccerretired New Member

Jul 7, 2007
  5. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have absolutely no idea about Danish, or as someone else called it "that throat disease";), but I do see Lee's name after 3-0. Can I assume that he scored? Ceres are you aout there?

6. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Resume trainingmatch Randersfc-Hobro. Randersfc won 4-1 after 3-0 at the break. Despite a wet lawn and a hard stormy and rainy evening, Randers played pretty fluent in the first half. Starting line was
    Emil Ousager – Søren Pedersen, Kian Christensen, Issah Ahmed, Jan Frederiksen – Lee Nguyen, Jeppe Brandrup, Tidiane Sane, Will John – Bédi Buval, Fabinho.
    8 of the normal starting was out during different reasons. 2 is with danish nationalteam. The first keeper Kevin stuhr Ellegaard is with the league nationalteam on trainingcamp and Jonas Damborg is with u21 in south africa.
    Marc nygaard is back in uk to finish his move from london. And 6 others are spared in this match.
    After 20 minuts play Randers gained the lead during Buval. And 2 minuts later Lee scored his first goal after making a good combo with brasilian forward Fabinho. It was a sliding goal into the net.
    6 minuts before halftime a well preformed play between Jan Frederiksen, Will John, Tidiane Sane og Lee Nguyen ended up to left back Jan Frederiksen who scored .
    After the break the start line was
    Peter Friis Jensen – Jonas Andersen, Kian Christensen, Issah Ahmed, Michael Roloff – Lee Nguyen, Rasmus Hansen, Simon Rosenqvist, Kasper Nygaard – Christian Andreasen, Fabinho.
    Thats nearly the second team thats been pretty convincing during the last years. They are close to being promoted to 3 best league in denmark and has a average age of nearly 20 or so. Fabinho is the oldest and is concider the number 4 in line for the attack on first team. Issah Ahmed is normal first team player starter.
    After 65 minuts Christian Andersen makes it 4-0.
    All in all a good trainingmatch. First half showing great speed and change in the game, and second showing that the next best team also can make good football despite bad weather.
    In the end Hobro makes a goal so result was 4-1
    newspaper reports says that Lee showed that he isnt just a winger but also a goalscorer.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A) It'd be nice for you to keep in touch with the players.

B) You can post whatever you come up with right here.

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this an exhibition match, league game or cup game?

Good for Lee. Damn, a goal in his first game...

9. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    It was the first training match of the season, Randersfc plays training matches again feb 6 against Jetsmark, feb 26 and feb 29 and marts 3 is the last match against vejle before playing cup quaterfinal against Brondby away.
    Feb 13 the team leaves for 12 days of training in Dubai-
    New numbers for the americans Will John got number 7, and Lee got number 9.
    Todays report from trainer Colin Todd. He is very content of the signings this opening. He mention Will John as a fastpaced leftfooter, with big football intelligens. And the ability to get backs too look very slow.
    Lee Nguyen is same kind of player, maybe a bit faster than Will John. He can accelerate, turn on a plate, pass and , and looks like 2 years training in psv has giving him eurostyle of playing.

10. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As petty as this sounds, I've gotta say it's a very good sign for these guys if John was awarded the #7 and Nguyen the #9 shirts.

11. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the Cup quarterfinals played over two legs or is it just one match?

12. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since my senior year at IU when Nguyen played, i always expected him to do well.... always claimed the kid was breaking defenders ankles with his cuts.... the kids got talent and im glad he's getting a chance to play the game.... hopefully good things come from this

13. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Just one match, semifinals is over 2. In 2006 Randers won the cup against Esbjerg. The final is always played in Copenhagen national stadium. Randers won 1-0 after extended time. At that time Randers played in 2 division.
    Later the same season they were promote, and landed home a 8 place in first season back in superleague. This season started out very good, unbeaten after 6 matches, and topscorer Thomas Dalgaard scored 7 goals in 5 matches, since then he havent scored and is now sold. The team was rather unstable, won over best teams like Fck,Fcm and lost to Viborg, and took a draw against lyngby. This transfer window gives this result

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ASD has an article about the two.

John sounds pretty bitter towards MLS/KC.
    Says the soccer is much, much better in Denmark and that he was not treated well in KC. Promises made/not kept. That sort of thing.

Lee was very professional about it.

Note - I have no clue about the John situation and this comment addresses all of MLS.

I haver never ever for the life of me understood why so few young players are given a run of games in the league. Or regular season used to be a joke, with 16 teams it will mean a lot more of course, and giving a youngster a run of games would not have hurt much, if any, IMO. The upside could have been great for the
    risk.

Especially the younger, smaller more skilled guys.

Seems like there is no place for them in MLS, and the rough and tumble style that is rewarded it seems.

Young skilled players should go overseas IMO. Denmark look slike a good place.
    I hope Jared Jejfrey does sign that Brugge contract.

I don't know if it is just coaching style/coaching limitations or the American mentality (probably a bit of both). That bring young players along slowly (unless exceptionally gifted), give them time, don't throw them in the deep end, coddle them a bit, etc, etc...Very US.

I say buffalo paddies to that.

Until the MLS trend changes I say young skilled guys look to Europe, especially the smaller leagues, I think that many coaches/teams will find value in you.

Our coaches and evaluators are the main problem in this country. Haven't said it in a while but that is my mantra -

Our players have outgrown our coaches. The coaches (USSF bureacracy/politics) are the greatest problem we face in this country with regards to development. We are taking steps now, slowly, but it's gonna take a while.

15. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Remember also that Randersfc has a english coach, Colin Todd, and he speaks very highly of both.

16. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Lets see, what sucks about the MLS? let me count the way...

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Well, to be fair, over the last 3 to 4 years there are a lot of great things going on in MLS. The good news is that it looks like it is only going to keep improving.

The overal issue as I see it, as I have alway seen it, and I just posted in another thread, and have posted ad nauseum before -

Is the lack of soccer brains in this country. At all levels.
    Youth coaches, to execs, to the USSF.

We have the raw materials, exposure, more inter'l comp, we are now getting the money, hopefully with this the fans will demand more and we will atract more, and hopefully different soccer people.

With the increases the "boys club" will not be as insulated as they were. Cracks are startng to show already and I have high hopes for the next several years.

MLS, for how old it is, the socio-economic reasons, lack of educated/experienced soccer people, the comp and built in bias of the old crowd
    in this country is now in pretty damn good shape. I have much mor ehope than I did.

Mayebt he influx of SAmerican, and different coaches, who value and understand different things will give our young, undersized, skill players more chances in this league. We will see.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like this, but too many coaches emphasize the bruiser mentality, or at the very least, less individualistic play. That's just my take on it.

19. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Every US talent we can get overseas is a victory for US Soccer development. MLS talent and development evaluation is still wildly inconsistent and unproven. You have a feeling there are talent there being mis-managed. Unless you get a Gen-Ad contract, you can't make a living as a player out of college. It's a joke. Will John is perfect example of a player going through the US program and just faded away in the MLS system.

20. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    As a dane looking at american Mls, i also wonder where it fails to get "soccer" big in Usa. As far as i know many plays it all the way though schoolsystem, but then it fails to develope the real big breakthough. I have seen the americans who plays here in Denmark, and most of them has big potential, and a good attitude against the game. Calliff, Heath pearce, White for just to mention the latest here.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    This is changing. More eyes here have been opened up to the idea of going abroad. More foreign clubs understand th elevel of play here and what our youngsters can do. More opportunity, money, more time very possible at the right level.

I always thought it would come to this and now it seems that we are heading in that direction. It's fine with me. It will force MLS to react and evolve, instead of just keeping the status quo.

The more kids we get out there, the more kids, who maybe wouldn't have been looked at will get a possible shot.

MLS is a good option for certain types of US players. No doubt about that.

I repeat however- "If you are young skill based Yank, who doesn't have great size or superspeed, head to Europe now!!! You will get a chance there. A real one. Will not happen in MLS yet."

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yanks are pounding the danish league right now. I can see the appeal certainly, better pay, hottest women in Europe (from my own personal experience anyways), they speak english better than most of England. Norway was another country taking in alot of yanks.

Just kind of a silly question, why dont you think we see more yanks taken in the Swedish league? pay, more/less competitive, something else? maybe im just reading too much into it. Asside from Charlie Davies i cant recollect anyone else in the swedish league; whereas we are peppering denmark and norway.

and yes VERY good sign about Ngyen and John with the jersey numbers id venture to guess as well. The Bundesliga is always looking at the scandinavian leagues to bolster their forces. Good showing at a mid table danish side might get a lower table bundesliga side to bite down the road.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    'Cos Tom Brady is the one going out with Giselle Bundchen, not Taylor Twellman.

By the way, see if you can find out what these new guys are making with Randers.

In Euros or dollars.

Low pay, high cost of living and foreign (non-EU) player limits.

Norway has done away with the limits and is actively seeking good players with upside on a budget.

The real surprise is why there are not that many Yanks in Belgium. After Gooch and Dalby, it's Jeffrey and bust.

Belgium, as most of you know, has no foreign player limits either but has been slow to go after Yanks (Ricky Lewis and Esky have also trialed with Liege) despite excellent performance there by Onyewu, while Norwegian teams have been signing them in bunches.

24. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason MLS teams do not give their inexperienced players more games is that the coaches do not feel that the regular season is meaningless. That feeling is mainly found on BigSoccer.

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    When 8 out of 10, then 12 teams make the playoffs it doesn't mean much.

Most MLS players/ observers openly agree that the urgency in the league just wasn't there for the first decade. Why should it be?

What's even more disturbing is that if these coaches took the season so seriously, then many had to be unqualified grade A morons (can't argue with a lot of that) to keep playing the same type of physical hacks when on prolonged losing streaks. The young skilled player, with physical limitations, was rarely turned to.

Part of that is the physical nature of the coaches and league in general in the first decade. Another part is that many of these coaches didn't know how to use these guys, or took the easy way out, and tried another physical brute.

It requires some sophistication, as well as a few skilled guys, to make that player work. It was much easier to throw another brute out and take that route. That was a big issue IMO. Take the easy way out. Clueless coach, or coach who knew better but felt it was too much effort to try and put together a lineup that had a few smaller skilled players.

When you consider that it was almost impossible for a coach to lose his job in most markets for the first decade (save us New Yorkers:D:() it makes the lack of use even more puzzling/frustrating.

Your response also flies in the face of many of the smaller leagues in Europe, where the regular season matters, and young players are given many chances to perform if they show promise.

Your response doesn't jive with the spoken feeling of many players and actions of many coaches for that first decade.

I have hope things may start to change now, but it will still take a bit.

If you are young, a bit undersized and skilled, but not super fast, MLS is the worst possible destination you could pick.
    This coming form a huge MLS supporter from Day one.

I just can't deny reality. That's all.