Newly Adopted Community Forum Guidelines

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'm not claiming it. I just found out that "free-for-aller" is an insult :eek: and some people are very sensitive around here.

2. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did in the mid-90s.

That and a snooker tourney were the first things I saw on TV during my semster over in London.

Interesting to say the least

3. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    That's NOT news. :D

4. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Not to get into an asinine semantic argument here, but your grouping of people into one lump and making assumpions about them is exactly what you were trying to do: insult.

It's a negative context that you placed on it. Not us.

Why I just wasted the last minute of my life on this post, I'll never know. I'm done here.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Thankfully, no-one is that nerdy here, so we won't have a bunch of Landons running around.

Are you joking?

6. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    so you also consider it an insult? :eek: what's going on here? :confused:

see? I'm not the only one.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did I mention use of that term? I meant your smart-ass comment thatthe site is "really uniting soccer fans. :rolleyes:" You insulted by ridiculing his knowledge of what is important to you and passing on the opportunity to educate.

8. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for ********ing up this thread :rolleyes:

9. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    No kidding - that's why they adopted these guidelines lol. People were upset that someone had more nipples than they did or more posts lol

10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    1- Lev Yashin
    Russian Goalkeeper in the 1960's. Considered by most to be the finest of his generation. Considered by some the best of all time.

2- Berti Vogts
    German international and part of the 1974 World Cup winning team. Manager of the German Euro 1996 winning team.

3 -Giacinto Fachetti
    Italian international of the 60's and 70's. Played in 3 world cups and in Italy's European Championship team in 1968.

4 - Carlos Alberto
    Captain of the 1970 World Cup winning Brazilian side. Inducted to the US National Soccer Hall of Fame in 2003.

5 - Franz Beckenbauer
    German international World Cup winnin captain in 1974. World Cup winning manager in 1990.

6 - Bobby Moore
    England's World Cup winning captain in 1966

7 - Garrincha
    Brazilian international. Won two World Cups (1958 and 1962).

8 - Jimmy Greaves
    English international. A part of the World Cup winning squad in 1966 but was injured in the first round and took no further part in the tournament. A very good goal scorer.

9 - Eusebio
    Portugeuse international of the 1960's. Top scorer in the 66 World Cup. SCored 4 against North Korea in the Quarter final to turn a 3-0 defecit into a 5-3 win.

10 - Pele
    Considered by many to be the greatest ever footballer. Member of 3 World Cup winning squads. Played in the 1958 and 1970 final but missed the 1962 final through injury.

11 - Hans Schäfer
    German international of the 1950's. Played in the 1954 World Cup winning team.

The original proposer of these names is obviously a decade or so older than me.

11. Saugatak

Saugatak New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Southern California
    There's nothing wrong with not knowing these names. I live in US too and unless you're willing to pay extra through premium cable or satellite, you won't get to see Premier, Serie A or other games like that.

As for the Top 11 list, how can you not include Maradona?

12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Cruyff is another omission if this was a top 11, but I don't think it was a top 11. Just a list of former greats roughly alloted to numbers they sometimes played in. We can argue (discuss) about who was better in other places.

13. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Concerning reputation -

We have to get rid of the reputation system, it will never be a precise measurement of a user's quality of posts, behavior within the bigsoccer community, or the like. There's too many implications involved. For one user something might be rep deserving, while for another user it might not be rep deserving. It's a flawed system. Do you seriously believe shutting down all rep whore threads is the solution for the reputation issue? Please. Not even limiting reputation to where only mods (or other higher authorities around) are able to rep would be such a great idea, when even the same mods participate in rep whore threads, mostly in the premium member forum. Reputation is a lost cause, but if you're going to have it, keep expecting the same problems.

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    No-one can rep eachother anymore, so its pointless anyway.

15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a top 11, it's by jersey number...your choice is Pele or Maradona.

And, while I firmly agree that you don't have to know international soccer now to be a fan, I think you should have a grasp of the game's history--I'd say the same about any sport. A new hockey fan should know Gordie Howe and a new baseball should know Ted Williams, etc. Soccer fans should know, or seek to learn, about the vast majority about players on that list. Do you need to know the detailed biographies of all? No. But understanding who Bobby Moore and Garrincha and Eusebio are will probably help in your appreciation of the game. Knowing them does not make you a Eurosnob.

16. Saugatak

Saugatak New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Southern California
    OK, didn't realize it was by jersey number. While I recognize the names, I'm didn't know the numbers.
    When did I say that knowing these names made you a Eurosnob? :confused:

17. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Since when was it meant to be a precise measurement? It's just an indication... That's all.
    If you need precise measurements of people, try communism on for size.

Isn't that the definition of the word "reputation"?
    IE: The general estimation in which a person is held by the public.
    Public, meaning other people...
    Or, would you rather have your world ground up in a blender and sieved through your own personal biases before you ever have to taste it?

Yes. Reputation is an issue.
    But not because some people care too much what theirs is...

18. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I would rep you but you know, what's the point?

19. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Repped!!!

20. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Not Repped!!!

21. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Repped.

I wonder how many times we can say repped to a post in here before it becomes too repetitive.

It is meant to be what the public opinion in that board is of the person's comments. In rivalries, people get positive reputation for witty comebacks and insulting others. Whereas in other boards knowledge is repped and such comebacks would receive negative rep. It is what goes on in that board!!

Anyhoo, what's done is done.

However, the issue now becomes; what is the point of having a "reputation dot" with you name when it'll always remain at 1 "nipple" and be "unknown quantity". Secondly, what is the point of having a place where you can see who has given you reputation and how many points you have? I personally don't bother repping people anymore since it doesn't affect anything. Since I assume what I just said applies to most people here, what is the point in having the rep icon on each post?

22. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Repped.

Not really.

23. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its weird that they got rid of rep because it was so popular that people tried anything to just get some. I was proud of my nips, just because i earned them, without whoring. But why put something like rep up to a public vote, its better that we just vote about how much we like our mods. :rolleyes:

24. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    lol - no kidding...

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So private business decisions should not be decided by "public votes" as a matter of course?