Pre-match: New York City FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 4/1) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is designing our uniforms? The primary is awful.

markmcf8 and Goodsport repped this.
  2. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the primary. I also like last year's primary too :)

3. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm sorry for being a blasphemer, but I would like to lose this game. Badly. The quicker we get Dom out of here the more I don't mind losing.

hc897 repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The flaw is in your reasoning as much as your faith. Losing is not going to hasten Dom's departure. For better or worse, he's here for the duration of 2017.

Earthshaker repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, I really don't care if Kinnear stays or goes, as long as the team wins.

So change the players (I'd advocate Colvey for Francis). If he's not going to do that, change the system to better suit the player's talent. If he's not going to do that either, fire him and bring in someone that will.

Because doing the same system with the same players is going to produce the same pathetic results. It wasn't good enough yesterday, isn't good enough today and won't be good enough tomorrow.

Something has to give. Overhaul the players, or overhaul the system, or overhaul the coaching staff. Pick one or this team is going to continue to play uninspiring soccer.

Sactown Soccer and tenfourteen repped this.
  6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're 2-1 and in a playoff position... Why are we already in woe-is-us mode?

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

hc897 and DotMPP repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't you heard? Our offense revolves around Shaun Francis.

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Close, but inaccurate translation.

Our lack of offense involves Shaun Francis.

Earthshaker and JazzyJ repped this.
  10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Hooray, we're the champions of March. :rolleyes:

bobby_guzman and bsman repped this.
  11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Last March 22nd Quakes were 2-1 also. We've seen this movie before

12. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Spoiler alert....it doesn't end well.

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that point of view, except that I don't think we can win with Kinnear at the helm. Not consistently, not enough to make the playoffs and do well. Not enough to make Quakes happy.

I would swap Colvey for Francis and TT for Dawkins (and switch side with TT on the right and Hyka on the left) I might start Hoesens and Marco uptop, and bring on Wondo with 20 minutes to go, if we need a goal.

But Kinnear isn't that bold. He's going to go more conservative, not less. :(

go quakes!!

- Mark

bobby_guzman and Beerking repped this.
  14. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    I completely agree. A huge part of our championship formula was having Mulrooney winning balls and finding Eklund to run the attack. Add to that overlapping backs and outside mids with the freedom to roam, and we'd attack in waves until opponents couldn't withstand the onslaught. Seems to be missing in Dom's style of play.

15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The other component to that is to include a third forward so that you get some assistance in the midfield. I'd really like to see Hoesen play as the center forward with Urena and Wondolowski on the outside. I think with his speed, Hoesen could really do some good work in taking defenders with him and making runs into the box from a deeper position. Sadly, we haven't gotten to see much of him yet.

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, we've got one good overlapping back now in Lima. Gotta work on the other side now.

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A big part of our problem is that Dom insists on playing the 4-4-2 empty bucket. This means that we have very little presence in the center of the pitch. And if one of our outside middies pinches in, it leaves a gap on the outside. Also, this is a system that requires overlapping outside defenders, which means that you want defensive players to play both ways. I think this means that we are looking for a skill set that is less common.

I'd rather play three in the back stay home defenders and use actual offensive players to generate my offense. I get that it's a fluid game, and everyone needs to be able to play both ways. I used to be an outside midfielder. But if I want more offense, then I want more offensive players on the pitch, and I don't want to count on defenders to supply my attack.

I'm sure that we could get more out of the players we have, but it would require creative coaching, which we do not have.

go quakes!!

- Mark

bobby_guzman and hc897 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    To play something like a diamond mid with a CAM, you need a really good CAM, and I would argue that a truly good CAM is a less common skill set than a reasonably adept overlapping fullback. That's why we have not really had a CAM since DeRo. Heck, Sac Republic, a USL team, has had two good overlapping fullbacks for a few years, Klimenta and Kiffe. Colvey looked good in limited action last year, before being banished to Reno.

And besides, the Quakes don't really play an "empty bucket". It is more like a double pivot, where Fatai or Godoy may be aligned somewhat vertically in a defensive posture but also where either can choose to get forward. It is just that neither has an assigned "more forward" role. It is more flexible.

19. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite what you are saying, I cannot help but hope that Dom will be fired during the season when the Quakes take their annual dump.

If he wins, good. But that's laughable at this point. I'm not being sarcastic either. I truly believe he cannot coach this team into the playoffs.

20. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with you, but I cannot bring myself to hope the Q's lose to achieve Dom's dismissal. Kind of like I felt with Klinsman and the USMNT.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Referee: Jorge Gonzalez
    AR1: Jeffrey Hosking
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4th OFFICIAL: Alex Chilowics

The Quakes are 5-5-5 in matches refereed by Gonzalez

23. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I was jokingly going to say that with a 5-5-5 record he is obviously biased against us. But then I realized that the truth is, with our record the past few years, if he has us even up, then he actually favors us...

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wondo somehow looks older in that photo (from 2005) than he does now, 12 years later. Weird. I guess he was a little bit more "gaunt" as a youngster.

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a large enough sample size of before and after pictures to make that assessment.:p

And a player being thinner when younger? Who would have thunk it!

But, wasn't it you who pointed out that Wondo appeared to be slimmer at the start of this season? I think you are right about that.