Pre-match: New York City FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 4/1) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San José winning against the hosts for the first time ever?

New York remaining undefeated against the visitors?

The Earthquakes pushing the rivalry record to 1-1-1? City FC increasing its rivalry record to 2-0-1?

Discuss.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is scheduled to be televised live on both Comcast SportsNet Bay Area and Comcast SportsNet Bay Area HD at 11:00am PDT.

• AT&T U-verse
      • CSN BA: Channel 770
      • CSN BA HD: Channel 1770
    • Comcast (Bay Area)
      • CSN BA: Channel 40
      • CSN BA HD: Channel 720
    • Comcast (Sacramento area)
      • CSN BA: Channel 36
      • CSN BA HD: Channel 720
    • DirecTV
      • CSN BA: Channel 696
      • CSN BA HD: Channel 696
    • DISH Network
      • CSN BA: Channel 419
      • CSN BA HD: Channel 419

I hope that helped. :)

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will also be broadcast on the radio live on both KNBR 1050 AM (English) and KZSF 1370 AM (Spanish).

-G

4. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what changes would make against NYCFC? Put TT back in starting line up in place of Dawkins or maybe Hyka? Maybe Cummings starts and move Flo over to replace Francis? Dare we say it is time to sit Wondo (or Urena) and start Danny Hoesen....? These questions and more can be debated over the next two weeks.....I'm guessing all the bench players will see the majority of playing time during the friendly with Sac town on the 22nd.

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't have the heart to watch the game after seeing the highlights, but I have a feeling that I'm going to lose even more of my hair if Dawkins gets another start next week. They need to cut their losses on his contract and free up his roster spot. I don't care if Cato plays in his stead for the rest of the year at this point.

Thompson not starting was a big mistake by Kinnear, of course, which many anticipated. As also predicted by many, this team is never going to break out of its losing ways so long as Kinnear is around. They need to cut their losses on him as well as season ticket numbers will be even more dire if the Quakes aren't soundly in playoff contention by June.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quoting for emphasis, and also to test out this new interface. :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Free Kip Colvey.

jeff_adams and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Only if Colvey plans on shooting half a dozen times a game. Otherwise it doesn't matter who plays defense so long as Kinnear insists on putting out a completely worthless Dawkins, an aging and now intermittent Wondolowski, and puts them in a formation that creates literally no way to connect the offense to the defense.

This team has talent, but it's used to poorly that I don't know how the Quakes don't take Kinnear to court for fraud. The man isn't a coach, and he continues to prove that at every opportunity.

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Earthshaker, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    So true. Quakes make it easy to defend them. With no one centrally competently able to link the back line with our forwards, our opponents know all they need to do is put pressure on our outside midfielders. Look how both Hyka and Dawkins were fairly neutralized by the SKC defense. They also know Francis is not much of a threat going forward. Lima does cause more concern for our opponents, but, he played better when paired with TT on the right, rather than Dawkins.
    I have mentioned it before, but, I really hope Cummings can make a case for himself starting at CB and Flo gets a run out at central midfield. He is a much more poised and polished player than Alashe.

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would certainly be willing to see Jungwirth in the midfield as I don't rate Alashe very highly. Not all of that is his fault. The big problem with the midfield seems to be that Godoy and Alashe don't have clearly distinguished responsibilities. They both drop back so deep into the field that if either one recovers the ball, they have no one to pass to. Instead, Godoy should always be sitting up in front of Alashe so that when he recovers the ball or receives it from someone else, he can then distribute it forward quickly. Alashe should be focused almost exclusively on forcing turnovers before the defenders have to get involved.

Unfortunately, the two roam around or swap places with no intent. It's clear there is no midfield game plan other than try to win the ball and then once you've done that, figure out what to do with it. So most of the time the ball gets distributed to the outside defenders, who have only two options: try to force a pass to a well covered outside midfielder, or hoof it up to the forwards because Godoy and Alashe both are either too close to the forwards or too close to the defenders.

11. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are three games into the season, and SKC has shown the league how to defend us. We can not move the ball through the middle, so clog that up. Skew the defense to our attacking right, take Lima out of the play, and hope we pass Francis the ball on every possession.

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...as well as Vancouver, before the red.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey so is this game going to be on an actual TV station most people get in the BA?

Beerking repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I never looked to see what station the Kansas City game was being televised. I just dropped into my local pub. If more people did that the Quakes would become more visible in the community.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I know Kinnear won't do this because he is stubborn, but I think the best lineup would be to play 3 centerbacks in Flo, Cummings and Big Vic. Line up Colvey at left "wingback" and Lima at right. Play a center mid trio of TT nearest to goal and Godoy and Alashe/Ceren behind him. Pick any two forwards and Bings in goal.

Toronto as taken to lining up Morrow and Beita like that. They have free reign to run end line to end line.

SoccerMan94043 and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Maginot Line formation is working just fine. As long as Bingham doesn't fumble the ball or look the other way, it's impregnable. :)

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    While I'd love to hang a big fat "L" on don Garber's baby I just don't see that happening. Hell, maybe we'll get lucky and NY will pick up a red card early, we're gangbusters when we play 10 men.

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If there's a Kings or Sharks game then Comcast will blow off the Quakes. :mad:

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Oh man, does that image bring back some wonderful memories! :)

sacrxy and Goodsport repped this.
  21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither the Kings nor the Sharks are broadcast on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.

-G

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both the player and the uniform! :thumbsup:

-G

bsman repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Truth. I still have a Barrett Jersey in that stripe, and it looks as good now as it did 16 years ago!

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is all the more striking and poignant considering how crappy this season's primary uniform is. :(

-G

GrayBeard and bsman repped this.
  25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Not in your area. :)