NEW YORK: ARGENTINA v BRAZIL June 9th!!!

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by NYC_COSMOS, Dec 19, 2011.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  2. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I read this last night but couldn't post it.

I'm so freaking going to this match.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Am going.

4. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They better have good security!!!!

5. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Make sure you outsing them whatever you do COSMOS...... :)

6. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That my friend is already done! We will bring it from before the game to after!!!

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I don't disagree. I would not think it an exaggeration for NJ/NY authorities to be briefed on what this rivalry means. It's Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees a million times over.

EDIT: June 9 is a Saturday. Tailgating, beer, drunk Argentines and drunk Brazilians... oh oh.

Security will need to be strong. Many Brazilians live in the area and will travel from Boston and Philadelphia for this. The yellow jerseys will abound.

8. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder if they really know what they are doing?

They wont divide the stadium like they should. Do you think that they will let this run free reign?

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    That's precisely my point Cosmos. These Americans are clueless. I'm not criticizing them, but by virtue of being what they are - gringos - they don't know the enormity of a Brazil vs Argentina.

When our NTs met in 2006, in England, I would imagine minor skirmishes happened at the most. The Brits have decades of experience with hooligans, and their police and judicial systems get the job done (as happens in America).

But American sports really don't deal with the fan violence England, Brazil, and Argentina have had to live with due to soccer. They don't have the concept of torcidas organizadas or barra bravas. Now, of course, it's not like full-scale riots break out in every South American NT match when they happen back at home. But the police there are experienced and the folks running these games know how to do things.

A solution would be to ban alcohol that day - but the stadium would lose too much money. Fans WILL bring liquor and tailgate and drink. Then what?

When I watched Argentina vs USA in 2008, I walked around the parking lot w/ my Brazil jersey (not far from my car and group). And of course, being that it was in the US, people knew better than to act stupid. In the stands, I was provoked, and I verbally retaliated. Again, the fact that there are cameras and cops stopped both the Argentines around me and me from anything more drastic.

So technically, the Meadowlands has the tools to keep the peace - but they will need to separate ticket rows/sections according to teams. And police officers WILL be needed in large numbers. Because on that day, even if 99% of the Argentines and Brazilians go there to enjoy the game and to mind their own business, there WILL be trash talk as fans walk past each other to the restroom and there WILL always be that one jackass who can't behave. As you know, I met some who happened to be Argentines that day. What if this time 2 or 3 Argentine youths are surrounded by Brazilians and trash talk escalates? And multiply this all over the stands?

Having said this - I WILL GO. But I will be doubly sure my ticket is in an all-Brazilian section.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In the US, I have attended a couple of USA - Mexico matches, and Peru - Ecuador a few years back (these two countries went to war in the 90s), and hardly any skirmishes happened. Nothing major for sure, so don't see why this concern over the match.

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Let's hope I'm wrong. But fans need to be separated. Barring Korea vs. Japan, England vs Germany, and Argentina vs England, this is the biggest rivalry ever.

12. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was also in the Meadowlands in 2008 for the Arg/USA match and if anything truly incites violence it will be the mess of trying to get out of the parking lot. What an absolute nightmare:eek:

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Any updates on tickets?

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Always the East Coast. I mean, yeah I have gone to the games when we faced Honduras and Mexico in LA/San Diego, but the games are always in the East Coast. I'd give anything to watch a game in California (even on the West Coast) if we play a team that is not Mexico or Central American teams. Brazil/Argentina will sellout anywhere.

Yeah, I am bitter. :mad:

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Unless you enjoy cohabiting with Mexican and Salvadorean gangs, why would you live in California? NYC is the place to be, LOL :cool:

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL...I think with the Nets and Devils coming to Brooklyn, it should help with the hellish parking lot traffic. The road rage I'll vent to fans of mine and opposing teams alike :D

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Fixed your post.

18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dominican gangs? What do they do, sell clandestine bachata CD's in the bodegas? :D

19. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I seriously doubt anything will happen... i'm surprised people think something will

There was a Superclasico in Miami in 2002... now THAT would be what i want a repeat of.

River vs. Boca in New York or Miami would be just so awesome

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nothing will happen. The barras are not going to travel to NY for a friendly. It's going to be Argentine and Brazilian expatriates for the most part, as well as other local Latinos and maybe a couple of anglo soccer fans.

21. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This.

Most Argentines and Brasilians who have enough money to move to the US aren't going to fight over football.

Besides, ASF, I'd be worried about the Barras fighting each other than actually fighting brasilians.

In the last 2 world cups, its been Boca and Independiente's Barras who have thrown down, I don't think they went after other country's fans in south africa, but a boca fan died and we know the story of how many barras weren't even allowed into south africa, like the head of Central's barra whose name escapes.

And of course River's barra is a mess. They had a shoot out over jonas brothers tickets.

I personally would love to see all the barras go to a field like at the end of Green Street Hooligans and just fight to the death. Those people are just scum

Y que tengamos un Superclasico sin violencia ASF este verano. Prospero año para vos y tu familia [​IMG][​IMG]

22. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The barras dont need to be there for there to be violence. All you need is a couple of drunk argentines/brazilians and the wrong song.

23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What your talking about is no different that what happens at bars and clubs on fridays or an nfl game

Barras bring guns, knives, drugs, and they are people without souls... they truly care about nothing but money and causing chaos.

Just look at South Africa 2010. A Boca barra died when they fought Independiente.

Or Germany 2006 when all shit hit the fan.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What happened in 06, don't remember anything notorious except for the end-game fight between the players against Germany.

25. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Is this in Jersey at Giants stadium or in Jersey at the Red Bull Stadium? Going to Giants stadium is the biggest pain in the ass ever for footy matches. The traffic is impossible in and out of the city. What should be a 30 minute bus ride turns into 3 hours. At least to the Red Bulls stadium you can take the train.